Old Firm Colts in L2

18 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

b5e2785c0ca6882a4e2804c096387582.jpg

Response from St Mirren on issues of OF colts

Fair enough on engaging with supporters early, and without a firm plan outlined, the answer is all that can be expected. Unofficially, i'd hope the club's take on it would be more direct and to the point one way or another, and the same from all clubs, however they feel about it. But reticence got the Colts and Irish/Welsh contamination of the Challenge Cup, this thing needs leadership from the front.....without it, you're all fucked. 

On 23/12/2016 at 15:35, haufdaft said:

Serious question.

Who have produced more Scottish internationalists in the last 20 years, Celtic and Rangers colts or teams from the championship downwards?

Perhaps the focus should be on improving the standard of the lower leagues rather than dragging us all down to colt level.

Or is it not really about Scottish football's improvement but that of the old firm?

I suppose also it gives an early opportunity for clubs in the lower two leagues to better assess future players who end up being released by Celtic or Rangers over the next couple of seasons. :lol:

Most Colt players will end up being freed and those that are kept on to take the step up into the first team will have limited opportunities, maybe only one or two might just be good enough to become regulars the rest who were on the fringes might just be good enough to play in the top two leagues in Scotland. I don't see how colt teams in the Scottish League benefit anyone, including the clubs they play for. Celtic and Rangers will always look to the finished article when picking players rather than have the patience to allow a group of young players to mature, one or two in the first team but usually never more than that. They will also overlook their own youth teams if another club have in their view a better player in their youth set up or is already playing in the first team for that other club.

Thankfully the UK voted as a whole for Brexit. Now we can enforce the three foreigner rule without meddling from Brussels greeting about human rights pish then we can play some of the youngsters in the first team of their prospective clubs

When clubs have been forced to do this in the past they've produced some decent players

Hibs: Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Whittaker and latterly Fletcher made a few appearances

Motherwell: McFadden, Pearson, Hammell and correct me if I'm wrong Keith Lasley

Hearts: Patterson, Walker and Nicholson

All apart from Lasley have played at international level. Walker and Nicholsons time will come very soon I'm sure

Even crediting this, with the remotest agenda of improving the playing pool available, is an absolute lie and deception of fucking Mossad proportions. This outlook will only hinder any defence of the lower league clubs' position on the matter, assuming that they'll foster one, of course. 

I don't believe that the clubs have sufficient backbone to bother too much even if this is just pushed through. My suggestion of the clubs who feel their position becomes untenable within an institution which effectively declassifies them, resigning from the league, would be wishful thinking given the threats and intimidation they'd endure about their futures outwith the establishment.....they'd easily just carry on as you are, even if supporters chucked it. They'll just peck more and more at the arse of those left, whilst thanking their lucky stars for a few more silver coins from inside the tent, than out of it. 

4 hours ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Thankfully the UK voted as a whole for Brexit. Now we can enforce the three foreigner rule without meddling from Brussels greeting about human rights pish then we can play some of the youngsters in the first team of their prospective clubs

When clubs have been forced to do this in the past they've produced some decent players

Hibs: Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Whittaker and latterly Fletcher made a few appearances

Motherwell: McFadden, Pearson, Hammell and correct me if I'm wrong Keith Lasley

Hearts: Patterson, Walker and Nicholson

All apart from Lasley have played at international level. Walker and Nicholsons time will come very soon I'm sure

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the majority of those players come through to fruition after 2005 which saw the '3 foreigner rule' scrubbed?

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

Today's been not bad emoji1.png

I thought you came hear to prove a point about diddies attitudes towards OF posters.  You are trying desperately hard to disprove your original point.

8 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Not only are you a complete idiot and always playing the victim. You're also a complete sad sack.

What a sad life you must live, i pity you I really do.

Why else is he a glory hunter, claiming to support Sellik? I wonder if he's ever been to Glasgow.

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the majority of those players come through to fruition after 2005 which saw the '3 foreigner rule' scrubbed?

I thought you came hear to prove a point about diddies attitudes towards OF posters.  You are trying desperately hard to disprove your original point.

Most, if not all of the Hibs and Motherwell players were established before 2005.

In any case, the 3 foreigner ruling was abolished in 1995, upon the immediate finding in favour of Jean-Marc Bosman in that he was as free to move anywhere within the EU upon his contract expiring, as any other EU prospective employee......subsequently, the 8 diddies ruling was instantly declared illegal. 

It will be interesting to see people's opinions altering between normal, civvy quotas on foreign labour and the same rules applying to football, especially down south, where despite the richest league on the planet, PL clubs are performing to around 1995 (appropriately enough) levels of success in Europe even with free movement. When Arsenal need to replace Ozil, Sanchez and Cech with the likes of Jason Puncheon, Jack Rodwell and Tom Heaton, they'll be in a fucking flap. 

Brexit means Brexit. 

Most, if not all of the Hibs and Motherwell players were established before 2005.

In any case, the 3 foreigner ruling was abolished in 1995, upon the immediate finding in favour of Jean-Marc Bosman in that he was as free to move anywhere within the EU upon his contract expiring, as any other EU prospective employee......subsequently, the 8 diddies ruling was instantly declared illegal. 

It will be interesting to see people's opinions altering between normal, civvy quotas on foreign labour and the same rules applying to football, especially down south, where despite the richest league on the planet, PL clubs are performing to around 1995 (appropriately enough) levels of success in Europe even with free movement. When Arsenal need to replace Ozil, Sanchez and Cech with the likes of Jason Puncheon, Jack Rodwell and Tom Heaton, they'll be in a fucking flap. 

Brexit means Brexit. 

1995 you say? What is your point naming those players then. Surely they were well after the 3 player rule.

34 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

1995 you say? What is your point naming those players then. Surely they were well after the 3 player rule.

I never named any players, assuming you are referring to the Hertz Hibs and Motherwell ones mentioned. I hope Santa gave you glasses or a working brain today, and you're still figuring out how to use them. 

Diddy. 

I never named any players, assuming you are referring to the Hertz Hibs and Motherwell ones mentioned. I hope Santa gave you glasses or a working brain today, and you're still figuring out how to use them. 

Diddy. 

Jeez man, season of goodwill and all that. Clearly a reply to the original post.

OP was Radger the Badger or whoever, not me!! I merely corrected the misleading details. 

In truth, the SPFL is relatively well-placed to deal with any alterations to foreigner quotas, anyway. The real problem will begin when the old British passport issue comes up in relation to four countries' representation under it. FIFA will simply not let go, until there is a unified team, if four associations claim from the one administration.

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

OP was Radger the Badger or whoever, not me!! I merely corrected the misleading details. 

In truth, the SPFL is relatively well-placed to deal with any alterations to foreigner quotas, anyway. The real problem will begin when the old British passport issue comes up in relation to four countries' representation under it. FIFA will simply not let go, until there is a unified team, if four associations claim from the one administration.

Indeed it was and so you did. So, thanks for amending a misleading detail that I had clearly stated as requesting a correction if I was wrong.

Therefore two ways to take this:

Apologies mate, I responded to what I mistakenly thought was a response from the person I quoted from, it happens from time to time on these sort of platforms. Contrition was made in my last post :unsure2:

Or, FFS, take your snidey beak out of a comment I clearly made to someone else and was fully expecting a response from him and him alone. :thumbsdown

I would strongly and sincerely urge you to take the former response, as that is the way it was intended, with no malice intended whatsoever.  But feel free to take the latter and come across as being a complete arse.

As for your last paragraph, 'in truth' the SPFL have nothing to do with any aspect of foreign players playing in this country, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  That is an SFA based point and they, as it happens, can do absolutely nothing regarding EU resident football players plying their trade in Scottish football, which is what Radger the Badger was having a pop at with his Brexit diatribe.  However, the SFA  (not SPFL) do have control over non-EU players visa applications, which I suspect is the reason behind your erroneous comment.  Also, FIFA have have absolutely nothing to do with unified UK team, that's a UEFA prerogative and as far as that goes, UEFA are more than happy to have the likes of Andorra, Gibraltar, Lichtenstein,San Marino et al sullying the lower positions in the group stages, so cannot see why national teams continually performing above them in the qualifying stages have any fear of being forced to play under a "unified" status.

I didn't say the SPFL would decide anything, or pass any laws whatsoever......i merely pointed out that in the event of extremely tough sanctions being instigated, the clubs in Scotland should be able to adapt easy enough.

The value of Scottish players would automatically increase also, even if only slightly, given that of the number of foreign players in the PL, only around 45% would actually pass the (current) required mark for a work permit. Those who don't, need replaced.....from somewhere. Either way, both ourselves and England need to drastically overhaul the standard of both our playing pools.....if they can pay more for UK citizens, then perhaps our players might get more exposure, and the clubs might reinvest without the need for a violent bloodbath of the lower divisions. 

1 minute ago, Officer Barbrady said:

I didn't say the SPFL would decide anything, or pass any laws whatsoever......i merely pointed out that in the event of extremely tough sanctions being instigated, the clubs in Scotland should be able to adapt easy enough.

The value of Scottish players would automatically increase also, even if only slightly, given that of the number of foreign players in the PL, only around 45% would actually pass the (current) required mark for a work permit. Those who don't, need replaced.....from somewhere. Either way, both ourselves and England need to drastically overhaul the standard of both our playing pools.....if they can pay more for UK citizens, then perhaps our players might get more exposure, and the clubs might reinvest without the need for a violent bloodbath of the lower divisions. 

Sorry, but was that point 1 or point two of my previous post you wanted to take?

Re the SPFL decision/laws, apologies you are correct in that you didn't state they could pass any law.  You are spot on about Scotland being in a position to adapt to possible "Brexit" rules, England will probably find it very difficult but I suspect the money that is generated by Johnny Foreigner will have a big say on what goes on down south and will possibly have next to no impact on our players and their value.

The biggest shake up will likely come through continual national failure for England in the Euro's and World Cup, not Brexit.  It's been coming for the last decade, one of the few trends where English football has followed Scotland's progression.  Our national team suffered years of neglect through foreign imports, it's a numbers game, and England have finally come to saturation point with mediocre foreigners stifling youth coming through the ranks.

Any comments on the FIFA statement?

I actually think OF colts is an excellent idea, and in fact should be extended beyond football.

For instance, the Daily Record is, in the big picture, a totally insignificant diddy paper.  Nobody outside of Scotland reads it, with the exception of a few Scots in places like Corby, and its circulation has been in freefall for years now.  It might be an old paper, it might be a traditional part of the Scottish media world, but it's also pish, irrelevant, desperately holding onto a terminally declining Labour party, and padded out with insubstantial drivel about celebrities and the Old Firm.  Aside from sentiment, it offers nothing of value to anyone.

Now, suppose it brought in some up-and-coming journalists from real, important papers - like the Washington Post, Le Monde or Die Zeit.  They could serve their apprenticeships at the Record, and people who get subscriptions to those papers could get free access to the Record as well.  Hell, the entire sports desk could be replaced with interns from L'Équipe.  All these "colt journos" could write in their own language to prepare for careers at their own papers (who gives a shit if Record readers can't read French or German?  Most of them can barely read English and, as demonstrated above, they and their paper are insignificant - so their real purpose is to further the nebulous "greater good" of journalism as a whole).  India's top satirists could take turns producing the comic strips in Hindi - just think of how much better the comics in Indian papers will be in ten years!

Why not?  Why should paper be wasted catering to the tastes and desires of a dwindling handful of readers in some irrelevant diddy country at the arse-end of Europe, when it could be the host organism for developing something better for someone else in other places?  

How about it, shall we pitch this idea to the Record?  They should be grateful that they'd be getting a chance to help journalism as a whole develop its next generation of hacks and bin-rakers.