Old Firm Colts in L2

I've absolutely no interest in watching Colt teams.

If you enjoy watching teams in the development league East, I'm glad you enjoy it. Leave it that way.

Do I think developing of young players is important? Only if they play for Clyde. I have zero interest in developing players for the old firm and others.

The league is there as a spectator sport. I suspect that the vast majority of fans at this level don't want it. The SPFL, if they impose this will be indicating that only the premier league is important and the rest can gtf.

Would far rather see a draft system where the bigger premiership team give younger players to league one and two teams.

That's just not workable these guys are young lads on peanuts happens if a young lad from Aberdeen gets drafted by Berwick?

There is a thing that allows this to happen by the way... where it suits both the club and young player.... it's called the loan system.

We've had Craig Forsyth/Lee Erwin and Kenny McLean the last few years, two internationals and a guy that's now at Leeds. There'll be more but they 3 spring to mind. Sure other clubs will have similar stories.

I have no idea wtf people think this project Brave will achieve.

Yep, off to the juniors for me too if OF colts are forced on league 2. Up for being involved in whatever campaign there is to try and stop it. Us lower league fans need to be pretty united on this.

Would you really stop supporting your team because of this though? Nothing would ever stop me watching my team I don't think.

3 minutes ago, ftk said:

Would you really stop supporting your team because of this though? Nothing would ever stop me watching my team I don't think.

Yes.

I still cherish the delusion that Scottish football is not just run for the benefit of two teams.

This move for all kinds of reasons would pretty much end that. I have no interest in spending a good proportion of my season watching glorified youth team football.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Will be interesting to see how many of the full-time clubs will apply to do this. How "prohibitively expensive" can it really be for clubs like Hamilton Accies, Killie and Falkirk to have U-21 development teams playing at home on fieldturf when the first teams are playing away from home? Suspect there will be a few more than just Rangers and Celtic doing this. Also skeptical that a U-21 team could compete over a full season in the lower SPFL divisions. Suspect this is more about revamping the fifth tier below that. It would need to be U-23 before progress up the divisions would be more of a certainty.

Someone told me a few months back about an SPFL League 3 being talked about involving Lowland League sides and Development sides.

I heard this too. Take the sides from the LL and HL that want to come up and stick them in a divison with 4 colts sides. Terrible idea.

Presumably to stop there being a play off for the Colt teams? They can go get fucked. All clubs should reject this and refuse to play.

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

I heard this too. Take the sides from the LL and HL that want to come up and stick them in a divison with 4 colts sides. Terrible idea.

I doubt there are any HL teams willing to join such a league anyway.

Having just read this proposal I would suspect that as well as Aberdeen, hibs, the club's with plastic pitches may also consider this. Raith chairman stated recently it costs then £400 per match to run the floodlights. That's not much of a cost for top flight teams to take on if there could be a small paying fee. So IMO potentially Killie and Hamilton also.

I've absolutely no interest in watching Colt teams.

If you enjoy watching teams in the development league East, I'm glad you enjoy it. Leave it that way.

Do I think developing of young players is important? Only if they play for Clyde. I have zero interest in developing players for the old firm and others.

The league is there as a spectator sport. I suspect that the vast majority of fans at this level don't want it. The SPFL, if they impose this will be indicating that only the premier league is important and the rest can gtf.

Fair enough mate. It just seemed a decent idea to give U-20's the stretch development they need. Do you know if your boys are generally loaned out to junior clubs?

The point that needs to be made over and over again is the quality of players that flesh out the u20s at any SPFL side. There is only a finite amount of players that will be good enough / motivated enough to sustain a decent career. Look at where the ones that don't make the cut end up. This is turd polishing.

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The source explains the poll.

Maybe it's too early on a Sunday morning but I'm just not seeing anything that says it's anything other than people who've read the article. Of course if the 80% are all OF fans...

Fair enough mate. It just seemed a decent idea to give U-20's the stretch development they need. Do you know if your boys are generally loaned out to junior clubs?

Under Ferguson, it happened quite regularly. We'll see if it happens under Chapman next season