Old Firm Colts in L2

34 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Maybe it's too early on a Sunday morning but I'm just not seeing anything that says it's anything other than people who've read the article. Of course if the 80% are all OF fans...

Just a hunch but an awful lot of OF fans read the Record.

The L2 clubs should tell them to get to f**k, all that will happen is that their colts will just be filled with youngsters running down their contracts

Felt the need to break this out again

54 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Just a hunch but an awful lot of OF fans read the Record.

OF fans form an outright majority of people regularly attending SPFL games and their armchair fans are what attracts the lion's share of the TV money. That doesn't mean there automatically needs to be colt teams in the lower division, but it should be taken into consideration when people start arguing that SPFL fans are opposed to this. The proposal could be a lot worse from what I can see. A U-23 format open all the way up to the division below the parent club is what normally happens on the continent and that would lead to Rangers B and Celtic B teams in the Championship, but there is no danger of that sort of thing with a U-21 format because most 19 and 20 year olds don't make the grade.

OF fans form an outright majority of people regularly attending SPFL games and their armchair fans are what attracts the lion's share of the TV money. That doesn't mean there automatically needs to be colt teams in the lower division, but it should be taken into consideration when people start arguing that SPFL fans are opposed to this.

Why should it be taken into consideration?

The old firm fans don't/won't go to the lower league games.

We lower league fans do and should be the only ones considered as we are the paying customers.

The old firm fans don't/won't go to the lower league games.

We lower league fans do and should be the only ones considered as we are the paying customers.

Exactly. They don't give a fucking monkeys either way when all is said and done. This is for many of us our week to week enjoyment. Having to play glorified training sessions however many times a season would be an absolute piss take.

36 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Where do you think the money comes from for the league and league cup payments that your club gets every year? You are being subsidised financially by the interest generated by the top flight clubs, so is it unreasonable to expect that you should have to put up with colt teams in exchange?

Where do you think the money comes from for the league and league cup payments that your club gets every year? You are being subsidised financially by the interest generated by the top flight clubs, so is it unreasonable to expect that you should have to put up with colt teams in exchange?

Of course it is. Every single club in Scotland is being subsidised by Rangers and Celtic really. Why not just let the Colt teams into the Prem?

Take our money away for all I fucking care id rather not have my Saturdays ruined playing kids in glorified training sessions.

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Take your money and f**k off anytime you like. Would rather watch juniors or sunday league than put up with that shite.

4 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

Take your money and f**k off anytime you like. Would rather watch juniors or sunday league than put up with that shite.

The SPL only really wanted the first division clubs when the merger happened to form the SPFL, so the full-time clubs would not be in any way heartbroken if the two lower divisions adopted that posture.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The SPL only really wanted the first division clubs when the merger happened to form the SPFL, so the full-time clubs would not be in any way heartbroken if the two lower divisions adopted that posture.

Gutted. The full time teams sre such impressive organisations as well. Would miss out on hamilton and dunfermline. I am going to lose a lot of sleep over that.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What is that even supposed to mean?

They wanted to add an SPL2 as a second tier and everything below that to be regionalized with colt teams thrown in. This all happened only a few years ago, so do you really not remember?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

They wanted to add an SPL2 as a second tier and everything below that to be regionalized with colt teams thrown in. This all happened only a few years ago, so do you really not remember?

Who wanted to do that? It was a 12-12-18 thing. They weren't wanting to close themselves off completely from the rest of the clubs. That would be madness.

Also, unsurprisingly, it was rejected.

On 6/9/2017 at 23:15, AlbionMan said:

I wonder why that director would expect extra cash, their entry into the current challenge cup set up did nothing for gates and in all probability this proposal would reduce income as there would be extra mouths to feed from the same league prize money.

secondary TV income is probably the thinking... from advertising hoardings to shirt sponsorships, that kinda thing.

would it work?

i dunno

Personally I don't have a problem with colt teams as long as there are ultra tight rules

*max 18 players in colts squad over 18 at start of the season

*no domestically transferred players allowed to feature (unless via contract expiry - so if motherwell release an 18y/o he can go to hamilton)

*no players who have played in more than 10 premiership matches allowed to feature (maybe exception for gk)

*19 years and 6 months being the max age at the start of the season 

*play your home games in a stadium in same city as normal home ground & let the kids in free (for both home and away)

*colts start in highland/lowland setup

*no bullying opponents into fixture rescheduling because of fixture clash with 1st team/euro youth league/international youth matches.

*clubs allowed the option not to have a colts team, but if they restart, they start in highland/lowland league

*SPFL to continue a national reserve league for premiership clubs who don't want a B team

*mandatory but reasonable further education/ open uni type arrangements and funding for players in colt teams by the colt clubs 

*no colt teams in scottish or league cups

----------------

i have a feeling that U21 + 3 ringers is what the league will allow though, defeating the point of this being about development and more about "player hoarding"... which would sadly justify the fears of the "diddy club" fans.

secondary TV income is probably the thinking... from advertising hoardings to shirt sponsorships, that kinda thing.
would it work?
i dunno

Personally I don't have a problem with colt teams as long as there are ultra tight rules
*max 18 players in colts squad over 18 at start of the season
*no domestically transferred players allowed to feature (unless via contract expiry - so if motherwell release an 18y/o he can go to hamilton)
*no players who have played in more than 10 premiership matches allowed to feature (maybe exception for gk)
*19 years and 6 months being the max age at the start of the season 
*play your home games in a stadium in same city as normal home ground & let the kids in free (for both home and away)
*colts start in highland/lowland setup
*no bullying opponents into fixture rescheduling because of fixture clash with 1st team/euro youth league/international youth matches.
*clubs allowed the option not to have a colts team, but if they restart, they start in highland/lowland league
*SPFL to continue a national reserve league for premiership clubs who don't want a B team
*mandatory but reasonable further education/ open uni type arrangements and funding for players in colt teams by the colt clubs 
*no colt teams in scottish or league cups
----------------
i have a feeling that U21 + 3 ringers is what the league will allow though, defeating the point of this being about development and more about "player hoarding"... which would sadly justify the fears of the "diddy club" fans.

It's just a shame that no one wants to watch these games.

Not listening to the paying customer is a sure fire route to success for Scottish football.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

It's just a shame that no one wants to watch these games.

Not listening to the paying customer is a sure fire route to success for Scottish football.

This.

Although I personally am not adverse to the idea of colts teams as long as there are very tight rules.... It would be incredibly stupid to not take the opinion of the supporters of the game into consideration.... most fans don't want it, and most clubs should listen to that.