Old Firm Colts in L2

3 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Stirling Albion are one of the three clubs opposed to this. And rightly so. 

I had no issue with these sides being in the Irn Bru cup, as that's largely an irrelevance anyway, but this is a whole different ball game. I for one will certainly not be attending any of these games. 

That's good to know the Albion are opposed to this idea. It would seem that a number of other clubs in League 2 are quite happy yo accept their 36 pieces of silver. Hell mend them. 

Just now, rhliston said:

That's good to know the Albion are opposed to this idea. It would seem that a number of other clubs in League 2 are quite happy yo accept their 36 pieces of silver. Hell mend them. 

What it shows from those clubs is an horrendous lack of understanding of their small fan bases. Most supporters simply won't attend these matches, and will be vehemently against the whole idea. When you have a fan base as small as the clubs in our league do, why risk alienating them for absolutely no benefit? Makes no sense to me. 

48 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Edinburgh City, Clyde, Montrose and Cowdenbeath all accepting of idea according to one paper today.

Of the 6 other clubs - wonder which 3 are the good guys 

I doubt if we are we had a statement back at the start of the season saying we wern't in favour of the idea. I would imagine its just some reporter just picking a random four teams for his article.

Which paper was it in?

Surely the attendances in the Ginger Cup have shown there is no appetite for these teams.

I can see them playing, for example, Clyde on the opening day and a few thousand knuckle draggers turning up expecting to see Scott Brown or Kenny Miller but when the reality hits that its going to be a season of watching no marks like Scott McSporran and Kenny McVitie then by the time you get to Game 5 and they are playing Montrose you end up with the home fans boycotting and no away fans beyond family.

In the history of daft ideas in Scottish football this is one of the daftest.

Playing devil's advocate the proposed £15000 per year for teams goes a long way for clubs coffers due to guaranteeing they would purchase a minimum of 250 away tickets and tempting to accept. 

Whilst I am in favour of the financial improvements the colt teams would generate I am certainly opposed to the fact that if either one of them finished bottom then it would be the next team in line that would go into the Pyramid playoffs or promotion at the other end of the table.  I think this would be extremely unfair to the respective clubs in that league and against sporting integrity. 

Edited by Cowden316

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If it got rid of "lesser" teams like Hamilton, Ross County etc, they would jump at it.

Not sure they or their fans would be happy watching said Colt teams hovering up the trophies though....

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

The 250 tickets is a bribe. If you offered someone money to look more favourably in your pitch for work, you'd get the jail. Not in Scottish football though.

You're not seriously suggesting that "rules" are adhered to by the SFA are you?!

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Not sure they or their fans would be happy watching said Colt teams hovering up the trophies though....

Just as the Scottish colts teams couldn't win promotion etc, if the English colts were in the top league, they wouldn't be allowed to win the title, or get into Europe, perhaps. So it would actually be pointless going to watch these teams, as the matches wouldn't really count.

And the same applies to the fourth level: no point in watching matches which don't count. The idea stinks.

Regarding 250 tickets at £10 each, sides would maybe play a home colts match four times maximum.  That adds up to £10000, not £15000. But I'm getting into pointless detail. 

All clubs should make their position clear. And if the idea is accepted, I won't be going back to watch Scottish football.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The 250 tickets is a bribe. If you offered someone money to look more favourably in your pitch for work, you'd get the jail. Not in Scottish football though.

This is just it. It's an absolutely disgusting and shameless attempt to ram this through after it was comprehensively rejected last time out. If my Uni offered me £250 or whatever to support something they were wanting there would be outrage. For some reason it seems to be accepted in Scottish football that the big clubs can do what they want as they have the finances for it.

I'm absolutely seething.

I don't understand how the clubs can back this. I know the fans and clubs in the Lowland League are not on board, especially the ones who have worked hard to gain their licenses to meet promotion requirements.

The system we have the now isnt going to be sustainable in the long run, adding colt teams with no fans isn't going to help.

If you really want to send a message to the clubs that are backing it then every fan should boycott games at their ground. Let them have their 250 tickets from the colts teams but absolutely 0 from the other 9 teams in the league.

1 hour ago, Hammyton said:

They not only support it, I understand they have been one of the teams pushing others in the league to accept it.

Hopefully Accies ask about getting a Colts team in, should not just be the Old Firm, be nice for our kids to finish above most of the dross in this league.

Ha ha Good try  China!

2 hours ago, Cowden316 said:

Playing devil's advocate the proposed £15000 per year for teams goes a long way for clubs coffers due to guaranteeing they would purchase a minimum of 250 away tickets and tempting to accept. 

Whilst I am in favour of the financial improvements the colt teams would generate I am certainly opposed to the fact that if either one of them finished bottom then it would be the next team in line that would go into the Pyramid playoffs or promotion at the other end of the table.  I think this would be extremely unfair to the respective clubs in that league and against sporting integrity. 

The £15k may seem tempting 316 but everyone else is getting it also so your not really any better off. Add into the mix that you may lose fans both home and visitors who are strongly opposed to "Colts" (what a shit name call them what they are Reserves!)  so would you really be better off financially?

Also this 250 tickets at £10 is below the current market value of League 2 admissions this season where clubs charge £12-£13.

Then as you say you get down to the nitty gritty that you can end up in the play off relegation spot for finishing 10th if those two were in the bottom 2 places, also its not the same memories getting promoted if those 2 were in the top 2 spots.

Also what becomes of the promotion play offs if those 2 finish top 2 do we have 3rd going up and 4th, 5th and 6th  in the play off?

The more you look at it the shittier it gets:lol:

Edited by cowdenbeath

We are constantly debating the many, many sensible objections as to why this is an abhorrent idea.

Has anyone yet presented an argument for this plan? What is the objective? As I have stated many times before would Callum McGregor (as an example) be a more established player for club or country if he had knocked about in League 2 for a few seasons instead of being loaned down south and to Rosenborg. Of course not, the whole thinking behind this is questionable at best.

24 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Just as the Scottish colts teams couldn't win promotion etc, if the English colts were in the top league, they wouldn't be allowed to win the title, or get into Europe, perhaps. So it would actually be pointless going to watch these teams, as the matches wouldn't really count.

And the same applies to the fourth level: no point in watching matches which don't count. The idea stinks.

Regarding 250 tickets at £10 each, sides would maybe play a home colts match four times maximum.  That adds up to £10000, not £15000. But I'm getting into pointless detail. 

All clubs should make their position clear. And if the idea is accepted, I won't be going back to watch Scottish football.

Stopping the Colts from qualifying for Europe is easy., denying them a trophy or title when they win all their games not so much. Imagine the brass neck on Celtic or Rangers* lifting the SPFL Premiership trophy when finishing way behind the English Colt teams. Minter!