Old Firm Colts in L2

Looking at the wider issue here, is putting colts sides in the SPFL or pyramid structure going to improve the standard of players up to national level and thus improve the standard of Scottish football generally. In my opinion - no it isn't. How can playing colts lads against L1 and L2 opposition improve them to national standard? On the flip side you could equally argue if even loaning colts lads to L1 and L2 sides will also not improve them to national standards and you'd have a decent point there. It boils down to what is the point of it all and how realistic is it that objective will be achieved. Unless there is a fairly cast iron case for doing it then it shouldn't be done and would simply be another case of tinkering for no significant outcome other than to reduce still further the standard of smaller clubs in the land and that is going to weaken the SPFL structure even more. Many years ago we had a 'C' Division which consisted of about 14 reserve sides plus about 4 smaller clubs's first teams who apart from Brechin City one season, never stood a chance of promotion and as none of the reserve sides could be promoted it was a sterile division and eventually somebody saw sense and changed it.  Putting a spanner in the works, why not experiment by putting Celtic cols in the Championship and see how they get on there without putting them in L2 first. Might mean relegating an extra team or enlarging the division and those below - so?

Putting colts sides in the SPFL/pyramid structure is a separate question. Improving the standard of Scottish football is another question but the two are not necessarily linked. I think the first priority is to re-visit the structure of the SPFL by ruling nothing out - an open discussion taking in the views of all member clubs first of all AND the fans without whom we wouldn't have an SPFL and who can and are voting with their feet. There are too many sub standard foreign players in the top tier and because we have only 12 teams in that top tier there are very few top class Scottish players figuring each Saturday, particularly strikers. IMO we need to re-visit the days when more teams compete at the top level and against the best every week and that in turn might reduce the gap between the present top two divisions. Personally I think there are several Championship clubs who could and should be in the top tier right now but because of the present structure they aren't. Is that good for our game - make your own minds up but I don't think it is.  At the very bottom whilst the pyramid might well be fair enough, it's not improving anything is it?  Most of the HL and LL sides won't enhance things much with all due respect to them. If there were more Inverness CT's or Ross County's around maybe, but there aren't are there?  

Snip.

Putting a spanner in the works, why not experiment by putting Celtic cols in the Championship and see how they get on there without putting them in L2 first. Might mean relegating an extra team or enlarging the division and those below - so?

What? Why not? Where to start...

- They didn't exactly do much in the Challenge Cup so there's no evidence to suggest they'd cope in the Championship.
- Why should Dunfermline, St Mirren, whomever fans have to put up with that?
- Why would Dunfermline in particular want an extra team relegated from the league which could end up being Falkirk, a rival that brings a decent crowd to be replaced by a Colt side who'd bring no fans?
- As to the last word there "- so?" Why should Falkirk (as an example as they are second bottom, it could easily be 3rd bottom or play-off winner) lose out on decent crowds and TV and sponsorship money as a Championship club to survive as a League One side when they wouldn't deserve to be there? Why should they do that to satisfy a frankly bonkers scheme that would do nothing for anyone other than Celtic?

There have been so many bad ideas on this thread but surely that's the worst yet.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There have been so many bad ideas on this thread but surely that's the worst yet.

It's hilarious.

Principles aside - Celtic 'B' got pasted 5-1 at Livingston last season, lost 3-1 at Annan this season. Their home crowd last season was 216.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agreed, but only the second worst suggestion. The worst is to put them in L2 . To put the record straight I don't want colts teams in the SPFL either. Just making the point that why should the talk be of them coming in at L2 level - we don't want them  and clearly you don't either so hopefully the bigger clubs will reject the whole idea.  For anyone to even suggest it would improve the standard of Scottish football is fantasty.

On 12/14/2017 at 13:53, Salvo Montalbano said:

What? Why not? Where to start...

- They didn't exactly do much in the Challenge Cup so there's no evidence to suggest they'd cope in the Championship.
- Why should Dunfermline, St Mirren, whomever fans have to put up with that?
- Why would Dunfermline in particular want an extra team relegated from the league which could end up being Falkirk, a rival that brings a decent crowd to be replaced by a Colt side who'd bring no fans?
- As to the last word there "- so?" Why should Falkirk (as an example as they are second bottom, it could easily be 3rd bottom or play-off winner) lose out on decent crowds and TV and sponsorship money as a Championship club to survive as a League One side when they wouldn't deserve to be there? Why should they do that to satisfy a frankly bonkers scheme that would do nothing for anyone other than Celtic?

Yes this is by far and above the worst. By this logic lets stick them in the top flight, in fact put them in their own league with Celtic and the tribute act and let them play each other all season. 

22 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

Agreed, but only the second worst suggestion. The worst is to put them in L2 . To put the record straight I don't want colts teams in the SPFL either. Just making the point that why should the talk be of them coming in at L2 level - we don't want them  and clearly you don't either so hopefully the bigger clubs will reject the whole idea.  For anyone to even suggest it would improve the standard of Scottish football is fantasty.

The suggestion has been to put them in bottom of pyramid (west league or whatever it's called) and have them work up. But that's equally poor. 

• 1 month later...

f**k that! How entitled are the premier league clubs to think that lower league football is there to make them better!? Sort the fucking youth and development leagues out and leave the leagues with established clubs and loyal fans out of this shit. Worth destroying  credible lower league football in the hope some average international player emerges!? Make the SPL teams play more Scottish players - if they're good enough then they will come through!

As Ive said before if this happens I certainly won't be there, not that the powers that be would pay any attention but a message from every supporter should be a 100% boycott  of any game by home fans. Probibly never happen but love to see it!

Every time I see this thread has been updated I get a sinking feeling in my heart. This has (and is) being strongly opposed by the vast majority of fans outwith with the OF, however Scottish football is ran to appease them at all costs. If bribes are being used (anybody shocked?) then I’d suggest that any clubs supporting it are looking at short term finances, and not the destructive long term impact of this.

I’ll never attend a game with a colt team by choice (different if I’m covering it for work), and it’s the sort of thing that could make me fall out of love with senior football.

The sooner we rid our game of Doncaster et al the better. They’ve done enough damage already without ramming this down our throats.