Queen of the South v Hibernian

16 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

Anyone at the game see McGinn's goal? Heard it was a deflected volley but he is getting the goal. Was it going in anyway or did the deflection help?

Keatings played it to the back post and he volleyed it , deflected in. Defo on target regardless of deflection. Think he may have slightly miss hit it too.

mark of champions that Performance. Not pretty but 3 points and now 8 clear . 

Uterly 

fucking 

skooshing 

it.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

It's results like that, that'll see us win the league. It's also the difference between Lennon and Stubbs.

gratepoast.gif

11 goals conceded by the end of January. Diddy league or not, that is excellent. Lennon has us conceding half a goal less per game with the same defenders. That's what will take us up.

A bit disappointed to get nothing there, but we didn't do enough.  

A big deflection for the goal that given it was a side footed volley from the edge of the box, wouldn't have gone in otherwise.

Dobbie had a poor game, but for much of it, was doing a job he's not equipped to.

We applied pressure late on, but all we could do was create chances to have chances, if that makes any sense. The wrong decision or a clumsy touch, always prevented us from having anything clear cut.

It was quite an absorbing game, without being a terribly good one.

Was looking forward to seeing the new midfield players,  but the tactics were 9-0-1 and lump it to Dobbie. Every goal kick was thumped out to the wing and either out of play or won by a Hibs player.

The goal was yet another lost to a set piece. McGinn ran 40 yards with nobody near him and was totally unmarked when he got into the box.

Only started to play with about 15 minutes left, but created nothing. To be fair, Hibs defended well in that period but, as they had nothing to do for the 75 minutes before that, they were well rested.

The game had a scrappy 1-0 win written all over it, but a great result. 8 clear, with United in a real bad bit of form, feeling really good about hibs these days! Glad that Morton are catching up with United, that'll heave even more pressure on them, and less on us. Ayr next week, should be another comfortable win, and hopefully the lads will be focused, what with losing the last home tie against them. Can see us bringing in 2 players in this week.

I didn't finish work until 3.50pm so only got the second half (wish I hadn't bothered) so can only give my thoughts on what I saw:-

- Hibs bossed the half and after the goal relaxed. They didn't really look like scoring again but didn't look like conceding either.

- Dobbie isn't, hasn't been and never will be a lone striker. Utterly wasted in this system. Hard though to have a massive pop at a system that's been getting results.

- I assume Jack Brannan refused a deal with us? Only seen him for a game and a half but I've seen nothing from Mercer to say he's better than our own former youngster and he's certainly nowhere near as good as Hamill.

- McGinn has been awarded the goal? Really? It was on target but had it not hit the player Robinson had it covered. The deflection took it away from him: it was an OG. Hardly a big deal mind you. Had it been Cummings I'd have been fizzing, having Dobbie to be top scorer :lol:

- Why did we persist with route one? Utterly, utterly ridiculous playing high balls to Dobbie. From 20 past 4 I decided to count the amount of high balls we played (that didn't require to be long) to see how many our guys won. Hibs won 7 we won 2. Get it tae f**k! It doesn't work when your striker is a half foot shorter than the defenders.

We didn't lose because of the system, we lost because we opted to leave the best player in the division unmarked from a corner. Without that we would be talking about a well earned point because we weren't massively troubled.

Can't agree with the comments on Mercer, I thought he was one of our better players.

We didn't lose because of the system, we lost because we opted to leave the best player in the division unmarked from a corner. Without that we would be talking about a well earned point because we weren't massively troubled.

Can't agree with the comments on Mercer, I thought he was one of our better players.

I'm not really having a pop at the boy, I just think he's a signing that wasn't required. Still early days of course but Hamill was more than reliable in that position and Brannan had enough about him to make the position his own in time.

Re. The system. I don't feel it best suits Dobbie is my point but I'm not going to criticise that either given the success we've had from it.

Hamill and Marshall are our only full backs so to me it was very much required. Can't comment on Brannan as I've seen nothing of him but hasn't been involved in the first team that I recall so I don't know where he comes into it? Mercer is a replacement for Hooper if anything.

Hamill has been a solid performer but his best days are behind him whereas Mercer is one for the future. Early days, but these are the type of players we should be signing.

The system was working until our defensive lapse. Not long after the system was changed and Lyle was introduced as we chased the game. Very harsh to criticise the manager after that I think.

The system wasn't the issue, it was the tactic of lumping the ball to a lone striker. I wasn't at the away games, but if that was the tactic in those games, I would be amazed. 

As ever in the case of setting out to get a 0-0, it very rarely works for us. Thought we might try to attack a bit more with the new players, but really anybody reasonably competent at running a lot and thumping the ball the way they were facing could have played.

Archived