Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

It's a contact sport, where's his foot supposed to have gone after the (fair) tackle?

No intent, no malice and no excessive force.

It's all about the force he uses in the tackle.

Forget about the ball.

Forget about the contact with the player.

(Having looked at it again I'm not sure the force is excessive but the above statements are the crucial bits here).

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a contact sport, where's his foot supposed to have gone after the (fair) tackle?

No intent, no malice and no excessive force.

Jesus Lichtie, you're making McGhee's reaction look tame. Fwiw, I think it's a harsh red but can see why the ref gave it. Flies in, wins the ball but is then out of control - as far as I understand it that's not allowed.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Every single tackle made no matter how innocuous could cause injury for fuck sake. Which is why players regularly get injured from fair tackles.

And if the tackle is not reckless or out of control the player making it wont be red carded or even booked in some cases. 

It really pissed me off. :lol:

I think McHugh made a great challenge there, hard and fair.

Seems like that is no longer allowed nowadays though. If you make any sort of real contact with a player after a tackle now it's a red card.

Even if a foul was given it wouldn't have been so bad but to send the guy off and totally ruin the game...? Pish.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Typical nonsense from McGhee to claim that the red card changed the game and blame the loss on that. That would maybe have been fair enough had he actually tried to win the match but yet again he set us up for damage limitation against another bang average side. It's almost as if he is trying to prove a point about how little resource he has at this tinpot outfit like Motherwell, and given his previous comments, that wouldn't surprise me.

I've said it all along, McGhee should be nowhere near Fir Park in any capacity as he is no good for us. We need a manager with at least some degree of passion for the job at hand, not some egotistical nugget like this guy who, let's face it, has had one good season at any club he's been at in the last decade. Well, as good a job as he did in 2007/08 with us he cannot dine out on that forever and we as a club need to break the habit of a lifetime and look forward and not backwards.

Any brain surgeons out there that can identify the bit of my brain that remembers this post and then cut it out and torch it before my eyes?

Watching Man U game and in the 1st half Mata goes flying into a challenge - gets none of the ball and all of his opponent. 

Easily as bad if not worse than McHugh's challenge - the outcome was a yellow card. The commentators briefly mentioned it could have been worse outcome for Mata, but did not dwell on it.

McHugh was going for the hall and got the ball before connecting with the player. If that was Scott Brown - he would have got a OBE !

We absolutely will see similar challenges this season that will only get a yellow. Rob Kiernan being a case in point. 

Mainly what bothers me is the absolute lack of any consistency in these decisions. Fair enough, deem McHugh's as a red. But then you need to make any challenge like that a red. Challenges like Kiernan's on Hammell, or someone trying to kick Lee Lucas' legs off at Inverness.

I'd have said Pearson's was a worse tackle than McHugh, but that wasn't even given as a foul.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Neither Millar not Cowie jumped to protect themselves, it that now the determining factor?  How the 'victim' reacts?

You're right - it was definitely Cowie's fault - we can only hope that retrospective action is taken against him in due course - wonder if the compliance officer was watching?

51 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Mainly what bothers me is the absolute lack of any consistency in these decisions. Fair enough, deem McHugh's as a red. But then you need to make any challenge like that a red. Challenges like Kiernan's on Hammell, or someone trying to kick Lee Lucas' legs off at Inverness.

I'd have said Pearson's was a worse tackle than McHugh, but that wasn't even given as a foul.

Agree totally .........thought that Pearos tackle was like McHughs hard but fair.......no intention to hurt ......it's now turning out to be a game for Jessie's and Fairies ....... Made worse by over reaction of players .....(both Miller and Cowie miraculously  managed to continue) and  especially yesterday opponents waving imaginary cards at every tackle !!!

Worth noting how 'excessive force' was exactly the phrase used by both Chris Sutton and Motherwell's spiritual king, Stephen Craigan.

I'm also liking that the sending off is now apparently due to Don Cowie not shiteing out of the challenge - an act that would have had the entire Hearts support on his back - fuck me rigid! :lol:

Worth noting how 'excessive force' was exactly the phrase used by both Chris Sutton and Motherwell's spiritual king, Stephen Craigan.
I'm also liking that the sending off is now apparently due to Don Cowie not shiteing out of the challenge - an act that would have had the entire Hearts support on his back - fuck me rigid! :lol:

But that Jamie Walker is a diving wee shite...

Excessive force is surely going into a tackle a lot harder than you need to, which didn't happen, think excessive force just means force now to referees.

You can only tackle at a right angle now it seems, any sort of contact and it's a red.

Archived