Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

I'm also liking that the sending off is now apparently due to Don Cowie not shiteing out of the challenge - an act that would have had the entire Hearts support on his back - fuck me rigid! :lol:

Is that not exactly the problem here though? Equally if McHugh doesn't go in for that tackle his teammates, manager and supporters will be raging. He's a ball winning midfielder, by definition that is his role.

Ultimately what's happened is two players have gone for a 50:50 (possibly 60:40 in McHugh's favour) neither have shat it and McHugh has got to the ball first and been quicker than Cowie.

If neither pull out of a scenario like that then there's always going to be some sort of contact as momentum will keep the players in motion.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is that not exactly the problem here though? Equally if McHugh doesn't go in for that tackle his teammates, manager and supporters will be raging. He's a ball winning midfielder, by definition that is his role.

Ultimately what's happened is two players have gone for a 50:50 (possibly 60:40 in McHugh's favour) neither have shat it and McHugh has got to the ball first and been quicker than Cowie.

If neither pull out of a scenario like that then there's always going to be some sort of contact as momentum will keep the players in motion.

Could McHugh not have stayed on his feet?

9 minutes ago, Headshrinker said:

How the fuck can anyone think that wasn't a red card :lol: 

Text book example of losing control of the ball and recklessly lunging with excessive force into a challenge, absolutely nailed on red. 

It was your "card waving" no 77 who lost control of the ball..........McHugh never had the ball

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Watching Man U game and in the 1st half Mata goes flying into a challenge - gets none of the ball and all of his opponent. 

Easily as bad if not worse than McHugh's challenge - the outcome was a yellow card. The commentators briefly mentioned it could have been worse outcome for Mata, but did not dwell on it.

McHugh was going for the hall and got the ball before connecting with the player. If that was Scott Brown - he would have got a OBE !

We absolutely will see similar challenges this season that will only get a yellow. Rob Kiernan being a case in point. 

Mata was lucky, he should have been sent off.

I think McHugh should have been booked. It wasn't as aggressive.

We got lucky.

Could McHugh not have stayed on his feet?

Maybe but I certainly wouldn't blame him for going into the challenge. The ball was absolutely there to be won. Goncalves actually sold Cowie a bit short with the pass tbh. A "hospital ball" if you will.

IMG_1486321266.963797.jpg

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Maybe but I certainly wouldn't blame him for going into the challenge. The ball was absolutely there to be won. Goncalves actually sold Cowie a bit short with the pass tbh. A "hospital ball" if you will.

You're right - the ball was there to be won - McHugh committed a foul, though.

2 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

I thought u lot would have learned your lesson with the "Johnny Foreigner" approach........short memories obviously  

What lesson is that, bud?

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

You're right - it was definitely Cowie's fault - we can only hope that retrospective action is taken against him in due course - wonder if the compliance officer was watching?

Do you really think that was the point that was being made?

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

IMG_1486321266.963797.jpg

McHugh looks favourite there, almost reckless for anyone else to contest it

Just now, paranoid android said:

I think the point was about Cowie's reaction, wasn't it, and/or the fact that he didn't try to anticipate the challenge?

No the point was about referee's decision making process

Archived