Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

I blame Sky Sports and some of the idiotic pundits on there for the increasing number of football fans who think that 'winning the ball' makes it impossible for a foul to be given.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I blame Sky Sports and some of the idiotic pundits on there for the increasing number of football fans who think that 'winning the ball' makes it impossible for a foul to be given.

Difference between a foul been given and someone being sent off.

So basically a red card needs to take into account the angle of entry upon making the tackle, the footwear the player is wearing, whether the player can continue after, how far away the ball was, which phase the moon is in, the unladen weight of a swallow and what the ref had for tea the night before?

Easy days, lads.

In my eyes, the red card has been given as McHugh could be seen as being out of control as he makes the challenge. Both feet leave the deck, it's a reckless challenge regardless if he's played the ball or not.

In my eyes, the red card has been given as McHugh could be seen as being out of control as he makes the challenge. Both feet leave the deck, it's a reckless challenge regardless if he's played the ball or not.

Both feet leave the deck in every slide tackle made, he's come in from an angle, Kiernans at fir park last week was much worse, straight on into the player who was standing still basically and studs up, that was a red for me yet he got a yellow??? Here he's come in from the side and kicked the ball with the side of his foot. Contact afterwards unfortunate but no malice, no intent and no excessive force, it was hardly anything to be totally honest.

26 minutes ago, gkneil said:

A "reckless" challenge is just a caution tbf:

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

• Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/FootballDevelopment/Refereeing/02/79/92/44/Laws.of.the.Game.2016.2017_Neutral.pdf

Edit: with apologies to craig_killie for lifting that reference wholesale from his twitter timeline.

It's a red card, you can't go straight in with a tackle that anymore, from the side and yes, it's a clean tackle, but sliding in, the way he did, is always going to see a red card.

That's the modern game.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Both feet leave the deck in every slide tackle made, he's come in from an angle, Kiernans at fir park last week was much worse, straight on into the player who was standing still basically and studs up, that was a red for me yet he got a yellow??? Here he's come in from the side and kicked the ball with the side of his foot. Contact afterwards unfortunate but no malice, no intent and no excessive force, it was hardly anything to be totally honest.

I don't agree that both feet leave the deck on every slide tackle. Plenty slide tackles are made where a leading foot leaves the deck but the trailing leg is bent with the knee leading. McHugh's left leg comes barreling through and ends up alongside his right just after contact.

The inside of his heel clips the ball just before he crashes into Cowie. I'd say this was more a case he was fortunate to clip the ball or he'd have been clean through Cowie with no contact with the ball and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I agree that there's no malic, no intent and possibly no excessive force. But it was a reckless challenge that he made where he was out of control and it is always going to be a red card.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A "reckless" challenge is just a caution tbf:

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

• Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/FootballDevelopment/Refereeing/02/79/92/44/Laws.of.the.Game.2016.2017_Neutral.pdf

I read that more that the player must be cautioned as a minimum.

You could say that McHugh played in a dangerous manner where he has played the ball but at risk to himself or another player. Neither player was in control of the ball at that time and an indirect free kick could be given and the offending player could be cautioned or sent off. Ive no idea if the free kick given was direct or indirect.

Serious foul play can be a player lunging from behind, from the front or the side that endangers the safety of an opposing player.

Whatever way you look at it, I can't see how any ref wouldn't show McHugh a red card for that challenge.

You can argue about it until your blue in the face and you'll still get different opinions.

What about Martin's yellow? Not too much is being said about that. The ref just assumed what had happened without seeing it. That in itself is a joke.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There is a difference between giving a foul and giving someone a red card. Would you agree?

Yes I don't think anyone is denying that. Playing the ball however is no kind of indicator as to the severity of any foul that may have taken place, it's not some kind of magic get out after committing a foul.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think you're confusing slide tackle with lunge. If both feet leave the ground for every slide tackle I'd say the player is doing it wrong. I'm sure they will do on occasion but for me a slide tackle is exactly that - a tackle made by sliding along the ground, feet off the ground as little as possible to minimise the risk of a bad tackle although this can be obviously difficult to avoid. This challenge we're all talking about straddles the line between a slide tackle and a lunge for me and lunges are inviting referees to take action and can often end in a red card.

Archived