Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think it's a harsh red but can see why it was given. I imagine we'll appeal but I'd be surprised if the appeal was successful. 

One thing's for sure though, a still photograph of an incident that happens at full speed in a football match is not a good gauge of anything. Which is why the appeal panel will watch the actual incident before deciding rather than a still chosen by someone trying to make the tackle look as bad as possible. 

I wouldn't have a problem with the red card if all similar tackles were punished accordingly. However when you see Kiernan getting away with a yellow last week and the Inverness boy only getting a yellow for his challenge on Lucas just after Christmas, I can see why McGhee is annoyed at the red card. That's the third red we've had in our last 5 league games when opponents have gotten away with a lesser punishment for identical fouls in those matches.

As for the game itself, I thought it was turgid and difficult to watch at times but to be fair to McGhee his plan seemed to be working. First half we limited Hearts to very little, where as Moult hit the bar and Ainsworth had one cleared off the line so we were creating the better chances.

Thought we were extremely comfortable until a crazy 5 minutes where we ended up a man down and then a goal down in unfortunate circumstances. A wicked deflection so soon after going down to 10 was a kick in the baws and it was always going to be difficult from there. Think 3-0 was a bit harsh on us but what can you do, Hearts had that wee bit of quality to pick us off and Goncalves, Tziolis, Struna and Choulay all look like cracking signings to be fair.

Here's what I think - if the ref had given a yellow card, you probably wouldn't have had loads of people moaning about it not being a red.

However, having seen loads of replays from loads of angles, and having seen that still shot of the lad's studs wrapped around Cowie's ankle, it's a clear red, and a decent call by Dallas.

It doesn't matter whether 'he goat the ba' or came through the ball - if it's a dangerous tackle, and excessive force is used, you can't complain about being red carded.

During the week on Sportsound, ex-ref Charlie Richmond was talking with Scott McDonald about his recent red card - Richmond made a statement about 'disregard the ball', and McDonald was incredulous - how can you disregard the ball, was his question.  A clear example of players (and fans) not understanding the laws of the game. If it's a dangerous tackle, the ball doesn't come into it. I fully expect that a lot of people won't get this.

Typical nonsense from McGhee to claim that the red card changed the game and blame the loss on that. That would maybe have been fair enough had he actually tried to win the match but yet again he set us up for damage limitation against another bang average side. It's almost as if he is trying to prove a point about how little resource he has at this tinpot outfit like Motherwell, and given his previous comments, that wouldn't surprise me.

I've said it all along, McGhee should be nowhere near Fir Park in any capacity as he is no good for us. We need a manager with at least some degree of passion for the job at hand, not some egotistical nugget like this guy who, let's face it, has had one good season at any club he's been at in the last decade. Well, as good a job as he did in 2007/08 with us he cannot dine out on that forever and we as a club need to break the habit of a lifetime and look forward and not backwards.

42 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Here's what I think - if the ref had given a yellow card, you probably wouldn't have had loads of people moaning about it not being a red.

However, having seen loads of replays from loads of angles, and having seen that still shot of the lad's studs wrapped around Cowie's ankle, it's a clear red, and a decent call by Dallas.

It doesn't matter whether 'he goat the ba' or came through the ball - if it's a dangerous tackle, and excessive force is used, you can't complain about being red carded.

During the week on Sportsound, ex-ref Charlie Richmond was talking with Scott McDonald about his recent red card - Richmond made a statement about 'disregard the ball', and McDonald was incredulous - how can you disregard the ball, was his question.  A clear example of players (and fans) not understanding the laws of the game. If it's a dangerous tackle, the ball doesn't come into it. I fully expect that a lot of people won't get this.

Exactly! 

It's quite staggering just how many people involved in the game don't understand this. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A photo as proof of it being a red.

:lol:

A photo conclusively showing that McHugh had his studs up and made direct contact with Cowie's shin. :lol:

Anyway, if that isn't enough for you, go to 2:52 in this video and set it to 0.25 speed.

I can just about accept that this and McDonald's tackle can be seen as reds given the outcome of the momentum involved.  But I don't see that logic being applied in other games.  People who say it was never a red will base their view on judgements of similar tackles which often go unpunished, that is seen to be a standard.

Kiernan's momentum took him yards past Hammell, if Hammell didn't jump to protect himself his legs would have been smashed.  Neither Millar not Cowie jumped to protect themselves, it that now the determining factor?  How the 'victim' reacts?

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It's a contact sport, where's his foot supposed to have gone after the (fair) tackle?

It's not a fair tackle if the follow through could cause injury, and that's the point that seems to be lost on most people

It's not a fair tackle if the follow through could cause injury, and that's the point that seems to be lost on most people

Every single tackle made no matter how innocuous could cause injury for fuck sake. Which is why players regularly get injured from fair tackles.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I can just about accept that this and McDonald's tackle can be seen as reds given the outcome of the momentum involved.  But I don't see that logic being applied in other games.  People who say it was never a red will base their view on judgements of similar tackles which often go unpunished, that is seen to be a standard.

Kiernan's momentum took him yards past Hammell, if Hammell didn't jump to protect himself his legs would have been smashed.  Neither Millar not Cowie jumped to protect themselves, it that now the determining factor?  How the 'victim' reacts?

The determining factor there was Gollum not consistently applying the rules, Kiernan should have walked as well. 

Archived