Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 4th February, 2017

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

It's obvious that the referee has shown a red to deflect away from the fact that he booked a Hearts player for being about 4 yards away from Moult as he was tripped by his own player.

It has worked too. Fair play.

You don't really believe that, do you? :lol:

You seem quite sensible ..........read the thread.......it's clearly black and white mate ! 

Although white might not really be the problem

Unless you mean "black and white" in the sense that he once played for Saint Mirren

But we've all done questionable things in our past haven't we

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although white might not really be the problem

Unless you mean "black and white" in the sense that he once played for Saint Mirren

But we've all done questionable things in our past haven't we

TC

Correct....... White was never a problem for me nor was Black...just fellow professionals trying to influence the referee and get players sent off/booked !!!! 

Do love the EH3 slant on St Midden !!!!!............You must be so looking forward to your game in Scottish Football challenge cup against Hibernian Football Club 1875 of Edinburgh this forth coming Saturday.....I hope Heart of Midlothian Football club give them a damn good bloody nose ........especially that Lennon ruffian !!!!!

Yes we have all did questionable things in the past .....

Ps.....what do you know about me ?

xxxxxx

I've left this thread alone until now, as I was pretty "seething" after the game on Saturday.  I didn't believe it was a red card at the time, but I've since watched the incident a few times.  

Based on the letter of the law, the "excessive force" angle comes into play.  Although I absolutely hate phrases like that, where nobody is able to define where the line is.  Surely if a player is doing a slide tackle, running into it, there's always going to be an element of force?  I don't recall many players sliding in from a standing start.  

Video replays are fine, but using a photo of a particular millisecond is always going to look worse.  There will always be contact in this sport, but it now appears that more and more of that contact is resulting in a foul.  That's not specifically relating to McHugh's tackle, but simply football these days . I lose count during games the times where a foul is given and I think to myself, "how is that a foul?".  It's becoming a different game nowadays, and I think that's where a lot of the anger and frustration comes from fans when decisions that this one come about.  The reason of "15 years ago, that was a great tackle" etc etc.  

Whether you believe the referee got the red card right or not, I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that his general performance was dire.  I mean, I know people were laughing about it, but booking a Hearts player for a Motherwell player tripping up another Motherwell player?  That's shocking, and this is meant to be one of the top referees in the country?  It's completely pathetic that we're all meant to swallow that bullshit, when everybody knows he's been fast-tracked because of who his father is.  It was clear to see not one player respected the referee on Saturday, and with performances like his, it'll be a long time before anyone does.

Going back to the 90 minutes, I thought we were fine for the first 50-odd minutes.  The tactics employed worked ok, and we had a couple of half chances early on.  Up until the red card, I certainly don't believe we had done enough to win, but we were in no danger whatsoever of losing it.  

Again, Hearts got a big slice of luck with their opening goal.  We had another couple of chances to equalise, but Hearts hit us with a superb counter attack for the second (I was at the other end of the ground, but was it offside?).  The quality of the Hearts side shone through in the end, but I do think 3-0 flattered them.  

We need to get  a grip on the discipline side of things.  Three red cards in four games, and only one point from those games. I believe if we'd kept it 11 v 11 on those games, we could easily have picked up another four or five points.  As I've said before, it's going to be a battle for the rest of the season.  That last top six spot is up for grabs, so we can't afford for our best players to be sitting in the stand.

26 minutes ago, Desp said:

We need to get  a grip on the discipline side of things.  Three red cards in four games, and only one point from those games. I believe if we'd kept it 11 v 11 on those games, we could easily have picked up another four or five points.  As I've said before, it's going to be a battle for the rest of the season.  That last top six spot is up for grabs, so we can't afford for our best players to be sitting in the stand.

^^^ This.

What's telling, and irritating, is that all 3 have been for similar sort of tackles, Lucas' was nailed on and there have obviously been differing views on McDonald and McHugh's but whatever way you slice it 3 red cards in 4 games is something that needs sorted out. We not a good enough side to beat sides a man light (as the Accies & Hearts games proved). Prior to that, our last red card was for Lasley against Aberdeen in the post-split game, before that it was Lasley for a 2nd booking for handball in the last minute of the new year game so while I'd hope we'd appeal the McHugh card I'd also hope that privately the matter is being addressed.

Archived