Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

45 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Letting a 14 point lead slip because he didn't want to devalue the shirt is devaluing the shirt in my opinion.

This is the bit that really gets me. If you picked them for bench cover, and put them on the bench, you need to be willing to use them.

It becomes even more ludicrous with the fact that he had to use Dell and Russell due to HIAs, and then still wouldn't put them on for the last 10 yesterday when we needed a fresh impact.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no. I live in bridgend south Wales and it's more of a they respect him for the grand slams and 6 nations titles he has led them too. There are many that feel a change is required and many that I think if Wales were to have another poor 6 nations then I think he be out with a shake of the hand

Yeah....don't see them having a great one though. He's gone the Woodward way of only picking his faves. James Davies should be starting for them imo but can't get a look in

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Yeah....don't see them having a great one though. He's gone the Woodward way of only picking his faves. James Davies should be starting for them imo but can't get a look in

Woodward at least won a World Cup so had some justification. 

Woodward at least won a World Cup so had some justification. 

Tbf plenty of English players credit Robinson n Johnson rather than scw but either way he led England to some pastings after the rwc then flounced off blaming clubs. He then had his arse handed to him with the lions. Shame gatland didn't learn lessons from that tour.

Tbf plenty of English players credit Robinson n Johnson rather than scw but either way he led England to some pastings after the rwc then flounced off blaming clubs. He then had his arse handed to him with the lions. Shame gatland didn't learn lessons from that tour.

Robinson was extremely instrumental in the 2003 win. He was also an excellent forwards coach for Scotland; unfortunately he was actually the Head Coach

Robinson was extremely instrumental in the 2003 win. He was also an excellent forwards coach for Scotland; unfortunately he was actually the Head Coach

The back line he had available to him was pretty rotten though. Hogg was just breaking into the team and the likes of Henderson Di rollo n de luca were our go to guys. Under Robinson only nz really rinsed us and we rarely lost by more than a cpl of points. He left at the right time of course but i often wondered what might have been if he could have had the back line we currently have. He took more big scalps with much poorer players than cotter but cotter was the media darling n Robinson was trashed. As an aside I rather like Robinson on commentary duties. On an even bigger aside it was a scandal he didn't get more England caps. Was excellent for the lions. An early hamish Watson prototype.

I noticed the commentators were fair pleasuring themselves after Tue morning's game, ranting on about it being a cracking game of rugby.  If I was a massive Lions fan, which I'm not thankfully, I'd rather they focus on how on Earth they let a 14 point lead slip.  Just an observation.  Other highlights for me were the 2 tries by Tommy Seymour, especially the Scottish made 1st which was set up by Laidlaw.  Gatland must have been properly disgusted when that happened.

I noticed the commentators were fair pleasuring themselves after Tue morning's game, ranting on about it being a cracking game of rugby.  If I was a massive Lions fan, which I'm not thankfully, I'd rather they focus on how on Earth they let a 14 point lead slip.  Just an observation.  Other highlights for me were the 2 tries by Tommy Seymour, especially the Scottish made 1st which was set up by Laidlaw.  Gatland must have been properly disgusted when that happened.

People forget that the Lions shipped 31 points. That is truly awful

I really think Gatland was thought he was next in line for the NZ job once Hansen steps down. The ripping he has had from the media in NZ there is no chance of him getting it. Tbf there was no chance anyway as he is a dinosaur of a coach, who was lucky enough that his one dimensional tactics suited a generation of welsh players, but it is truly glorious watching it all unravel for him given the way he has treated the Scottish players

I really think Gatland was thought he was next in line for the NZ job once Hansen steps down. The ripping he has had from the media in NZ there is no chance of him getting it. Tbf there was no chance anyway as he is a dinosaur of a coach, who was lucky enough that his one dimensional tactics suited a generation of welsh players, but it is truly glorious watching it all unravel for him given the way he has treated the Scottish players

Yeah I reckon schimdt n Jones knew it would be a poisoned chalice trying to win in nz but gatland saw it as a stepping stone to the big job.....that's long gone for him now

Because, ultimately, it's exhibition rugby.

Do the super rugby sides who have beaten the Lions get anything other than bragging rights out of it

Nah its just a pride thing. Used to be a very big deal for the provincial sides cos it was a once every 12 years opportunity to play the lions and might be the only chance a lot if these guys get to take on the lions. It's been noticeable tho that since the last sa tour that the provincial sides aren't picking their international players as much partially due them prepping for tests and also (if you like a wee tinfoil hat) to mean the lions aren't as prepped for tests as they should be. I guess they also are thinking about risk of injury to their squads with regard to the domestic season but it defo doesn't carry the kudos it once did.

All Black side for 2nd test 

1. Joe Moody (26)
2. Codie Taylor (17)
3. Owen Franks (92)
4. Brodie Retallick (62)
5. Samuel Whitelock (86)
6. Jerome Kaino (79)
7. Sam Cane (42)
8. Kieran Read (98) - Captain
9. Aaron Smith (60)
10. Beauden Barrett (51)
11. Rieko Ioane (3)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (35)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (11)
14. Waisake Naholo (12) 
15. Israel Dagg (63)

16. Nathan Harris (6)
17. Wyatt Crockett (60)
18. Charlie Faumuina (48)
19. Scott Barrett (6)
20. Ardie Savea (14)
21. TJ Perenara (31) 
22. Aaron Cruden (48)
23. Ngani Laumape *

British & Irish Lions (v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Saturday, July 1, 7.35pm NZST, 8.35am BST)
15. Liam Williams – Scarlets, Wales, #833
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
11. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790

1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #819
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #818
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
6. Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
20. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831
21. Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820
22. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
23. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828

37 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

British & Irish Lions (v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Saturday, July 1, 7.35pm NZST, 8.35am BST)
15. Liam Williams – Scarlets, Wales, #833
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
11. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790

1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #819
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #818
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
6. Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
20. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831
21. Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820
22. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
23. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828

I don't see how those changes are going to make any massive difference compared to last weekend.

Archived