Blast From The Past!

15 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Image result for johnny seven gun

Was given this "Johnny Seven" gun for my Christmas, just before my 7th birthday in the mid-sixties. It was fantastic and felt like i had a real multi-purpose weapon.  It made all the noises and was quite heavy when all the bits were attached. Not so sure an equivalent "toy" would be available today. 

Nice, I had a replica Luger.

image.jpeg.cd79d7fcfeb2b2d81d38c82b42e5046c.jpeg

1 minute ago, L'immortale Par said:

I remember seeing a lad trying to rob a shop in Oakley with something very similar to that. He got battered and humiliated by some local hard grannies. Was it you??

I was nowhere near Oakley until 1969 when my school played football against Holy Name Primary.  I can assure you that, inevitably, over the years i lost each of the attached missiles/projectiles from my Johnny Seven gun so it became a shooting noise gun only.

To answer your question, no it wasn't me.  Sounds like it might have been someone from Abbey View or Valleyfield though if they were using a big, f**k off gun like that to rob Wee Jeannie's store.  Mon the grannies  😀 

On 16/02/2020 at 08:02, Moomintroll said:

That 1st Division table is giving me 'nam like flashbacks.

Oh, God, aye! Just like somebody putting Teletext in this thread took me straight back to Saturday's in  bedsitland, York. Two hours of refreshing page 311.

No flashscores or Soccer Saturday for us - these young Killie fans don't know they're born!

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, God, aye! Just like somebody putting Teletext in this thread took me straight back to Saturday's in  bedsitland, York. Two hours of refreshing page 311.

No flashscores or Soccer Saturday for us - these young Killie fans don't know they're born!

Motherwell 5 Aberdeen 6 was the best match I ever followed more or less from start to finish on Ceefax

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 06:17, hk blues said:
On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:39, Bert Raccoon said:

image.jpeg.7f970296d6c3aeb6ff48f6b083069ae7.jpeg

Remember it well - would start off each season with great intentions to keep them up to date. -  this lasted about a month or so! 

I remember these from the late 70s but I'm a bit surprised they were still going in 87-88. Me and my mates always intended to keep the ladders up to date but, like yourself, it never lasted. Having to first cross check the league standings in a paper (or perhaps Teletext in later years) kind of defeated the point. Also the tabs tended to fall apart after a couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

Yes, same here.  

My parents were quite OK with it, but were a definite NO when I asked for a Winchester rifle for Christmas.

Was that the one that ejected (fake) spent shells as you fired?

A boy in my street had one,  I'd to settle for a silver revolver which fired caps.

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

Was that the one that ejected (fake) spent shells as you fired?

A boy in my street had one,  I'd to settle for a silver revolver which fired caps.

The Luger was just a ( rather accurate ) solid die cast job.

I never got much closer to the Winchester than my nose pressed firmly against the toy shop window, but

as I recall, it had various all singing all dancing features.   All a bit too near the real thing for my parents.

Adults !!

Edited by beefybake

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

After taking your new LP home (bonus surprise if it had a lyric sheet too), this also served as a bin liner, a school bag, or on rainy days could be rolled up and used a hat to protect your latest New Romantic hairdo.

unnamed.png

I give you.

See the source image

48 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I give you.

See the source image

Nice.   Bought my 2nd ever LP  at the Sauchiehall St branch  around 1971.  'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' by Country Joe and the Fish.

Richard Branson's Virgin Records was down on Argyll St.   Bit of a sh*thole , as I recall.   Lighting very low, couch in the corner, vague smell of weed. Hardly any records, and what was on show, I'd never heard of.   I think this was Branson's VAT fraud period.

'Bruce' went on to manage the band Simple Minds.

Edited by beefybake

3 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

My arsenal consisted of a Daisy BB rifle that looked like a Winchester....

Daisy-Red-Rider.jpg.98a26600a6c8ba2288f9e3f1b8e86332.jpg

And The Gat.

1b004b7a-ed1c-11e6-9189-3ca2a5a618bf.jpg.c124cdcfda802a1e630cfcf894e874a6.jpg

We didn't go about terrorising folk and pets with our air rifles/pistols. We just tried to shoot star wars figures. I was a damn bad shot.

In the student halls at Aberdeen there were no fridges so you just put your milk and butter outside on the window sill and the North East temperature acted as a fridge. Only thing was the scorries would attack your butter. I solved this by putting a pot over my butter but my mate, enraged at his butter getting repeatedly attacked, bought a Gat and took a pot shot at a scorrie. The pellet skidded off the scorrie from a range of 20 feet, the scorrie not even noticing. Tough b*****ds they things.