Blast From The Past!

45 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They still regularly appear, which means it must be financially worthwhile, and they spend a fair whack on advertising too. Think about how many of those things you'd need to sell in order to make a decent profit. You'd also need to keep people buying them, as the drop-off rate after the first few installments must be huge when people come to their senses.

It's not unheard of for the publisher to give up halfway through a run if the sales are poor too. Imagine spending hundreds on a DIY Spitfire/DeLorean/Death Star, only for it to end up half-finished.

DeathStar.gif

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Dfog5aYXcAAg4mB?format=jpg&name=small

That was brilliant.

An extra team because they went to print before Romania battered Denmark in the final qualifier to pip them, Gordon Banks' save from Pele shoehorned into "Golden Goals" because they didn't have anywhere else to put it. And the rest of it was actually brilliant with great reviews of the preceding World Cups, and other great goals and matches.

20 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That was brilliant.

An extra team because they went to print before Romania battered Denmark in the final qualifier to pip them, Gordon Banks' save from Pele shoehorned into "Golden Goals" because they didn't have anywhere else to put it. And the rest of it was actually brilliant with great reviews of the preceding World Cups, and other great goals and matches.

Still got mine, and I'd buy a modern update if it was similar quality. I take it the idea wasn't successful enough to catch on, or was too much work. Felt like a real labour of love for someone.

I've also kept the domestic football follow-up that Orbis did. Haven't looked at it in donkey's, but I remember every league side in England and Scotland getting a fact file page about the history of the club. Once again, a modern edition would have all of my money thrown at it.

The-Orbis-Football-Collection-Parts-1-4-

I've been meaning to scan old issues of The Absolute Game to upload here for ages, but I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing those Orbis collections scanned too.

If I did a page per day, we could be finished by, ooh, the heat death of the universe.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

That was brilliant.

I still have mine* in my Mum and Dad's attic.

*It was actually my mates but I borrowed it for some reason.

I seem to remember a Mexico 86 sticker album which had all the qualifiers in a gatefold sleeve vinyl sized album. It had the flags of every country that participated and you had to fill on the scores and stick the appropriate flag next to each country.  Fucking pain in the arse tbf.

The orbis world Cup 90 binder was a thing of beauty. As a 9 year old and my first proper world Cup memories and that Binder was the starter. The pages where they showed a diagram of the greatest world cups goals was amazing. My favourite being a long range effort by Arie Haan I believe and it was just a curved line from about 40 yards! 

Ill need to get back up my mum and dad's loft to find that! 

I'm counting 10 dead clubs on there without even trying  :(

Delighted to read that the league ladders are still going in the internet age. Without checking, anyone know which club tabs are missing?

Edit: and the ones cut off at the bottom.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave