Scotland V England

mizfit

Our best chance is if a few of the England players slip into holiday mode a little early and lose their sharpness over the next couple of weeks. That would hopefully mean they’ll resort back to their slow play, passing the ball about between defenders and midfielders while creating nothing. However, even if that happened I still think they’d beat us by a couple as we'd have so little possession.

If the likes of Kane and Alli stay sharp, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them score 4 or 5.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

I think they will have most of the possesion and chances but we'll somehow sneak a 1-0, as long as Strachan tries to play the last starting 11 as much as he can we have a chance!

England have not lost a qualifier for over 30 matches and there team is starting to improve with Ali and Kane really picking up this year. We have no chance unless they field 8 players then we might get a draw.

2009 was there last qualifier defeat

Just now, kenny131 said:

England have not lost a qualifier for over 30 matches and there team is starting to improve with Ali and Kane really picking up this year. We have no chance unless they field 8 players then we might get a draw

I know, I know, England have a superb record in the qualifiers but I just think with it being a big derby, a sold out Hampden, under the floddies and right after a long season anything can happen. Some people on here saying it will be 3 or 4 nil, abolsutely no chance, if England do win it will be a tight one.

This all depends of course on Strachan's starting 11, he has to start with almost an identical line up as the last fixture!

11 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

I know, I know, England have a superb record in the qualifiers but I just think with it being a big derby, a sold out Hampden, under the floddies and right after a long season anything can happen. Some people on here saying it will be 3 or 4 nil, abolsutely no chance, if England do win it will be a tight one.

This all depends of course on Strachan's starting 11, he has to start with almost an identical line up as the last fixture!

If they turn up it will be 4 or 5. If they don't 1 or 2

For folk with lost tickets. The SFA are talking nonsense when they say they can't reprint the tickets. It happened to me for the Poland game last year and I called on the day of the game and they sorted me out two more as long I showed my ID that they were bought under originally. They won't want to risk it for a big game I suppose as you could give two to your mates and get another two for free and just stand next to each other but it is possible for a reprint if you push them hard enough and have a decent booking history.

36 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

For folk with lost tickets. The SFA are talking nonsense when they say they can't reprint the tickets. It happened to me for the Poland game last year and I called on the day of the game and they sorted me out two more as long I showed my ID that they were bought under originally. They won't want to risk it for a big game I suppose as you could give two to your mates and get another two for free and just stand next to each other but it is possible for a reprint if you push them hard enough and have a decent booking history.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were stalling a bit, Its unlikely our tickets will turn up now after over a month but they kept insisting we call back a few days before the match. Yes, I fully get why they wouldn't openly say that they'll reprint, they have no way of knowing we haven't just sold ours or gave them to somebody else.

Also worth mentioning that whilst we have been poor for a number of years, it's the only the top sides that actually beat us at Hampden in qualifying. England are rightfully a pot 1 team, but I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as previous top seeds we've faced; Germany (reigning WC holders), Belgium (went on to reach WC semis), Spain (during their sequence of 3 tournaments wins), Holland (losing WC finalists). The only anomaly in the last decade is the 2-1 defeat to Wales.

It's not really any surprise that England have a great qualifying record as due to the crazy seeding they always get groups full of utter and total dross, but of course they soon get found out when they play a half decent side in the finals.

As for Scotland, we're not a million miles away from this England side and we should remember that their defence is shocking, their Goalkeeper is an absolute bomb scare and Deli Ali is a red card just waiting to happen, so long as we get someone tight on him and don't let him play.

22 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's not really any surprise that England have a great qualifying record as due to the crazy seeding they always get groups full of utter and total dross, but of course they soon get found out when they play a half decent side in the finals.

As for Scotland, we're not a million miles away from this England side and we should remember that their defence is shocking, their Goalkeeper is an absolute bomb scare and Deli Ali is a red card just waiting to happen, so long as we get someone tight on him and don't let him play.

What's so crazy about their seeding?

Well the seeding's are based on world ranking.  Whether you agree with that or not is another matter, but it's a pretty transparent process.

19 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were stalling a bit, Its unlikely our tickets will turn up now after over a month but they kept insisting we call back a few days before the match. Yes, I fully get why they wouldn't openly say that they'll reprint, they have no way of knowing we haven't just sold ours or gave them to somebody else.

They send the tickets out in window envelopes with the SFA logo for this qualification tournament pretty prominent.  Is it any wonder that tickets go missing in the post?  I did mention this to them (my Wembley ticket went missing and the SFA dealt with it very efficiently, I can happily report).  Not sure if they could do that as Wembley is geared up for it and the SFA ain't........

England squad:

GK: Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton

DEF: Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Aaron Cresswell, Ben Gibson, Phil Jones, John Stones,  Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

MID: Jesse Lingard, Jake Livermore, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling

ATT: Harry Kane, Jermain Defoe, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy

England squad:

GK: Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton

DEF: Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Aaron Cresswell, Ben Gibson, Phil Jones, John Stones,  Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

MID: Jesse Lingard, Jake Livermore, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling

ATT: Harry Kane, Jermain Defoe, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy

No Sinclair or Roberts????

There is an agenda against ra sellik, am telling ye!!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Oh dear, where do I start.....................

Probably by explaning and/or answering.  It wasn't that hard a question.

But I'll try and rephrase it to make it a wee bit clearer.  What exactly is crazy about seeding a side that wins pretty much every match they play in qualification - which form the vast majority of the games that any nation plays - in the top pot?  Would you prefer they just went on major tournament results?  That would go real well for us, wouldn't it?

England deserve to be in pot 1 currently.  That's just how it is.

Archived