Scotland V England

mizfit

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

It has a very big team away to a minnow in an fa cup tie type feel this game when you compare the two teams .

The big team usually takes about 20 minutes to break down a packed defence then goes on to score about four or five

Think you're overplaying the gulf in quality a little. England's starting XI will largely be players at top half Premier League teams while ours will be bottom half PL, Championship and Scottish Premiership.

Plus, you'd need to go back to September 2008 (4-1 v Croatia) to find the last time England scored 4 or more in an away match (exluding minnows).

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnows are san Marino, Gibraltar etc, the latter of which we pumped. Twice. We're more like distinctly average, sitting at the huge table with other distinctly average sides who stand a slim chance of having any kind of success

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Well the SFA are the biggest bunch of useless fannies ever. They obviously have no contingency plan for lost tickets, i'm not sure their advice of asking the post office is likely to be useful.

What's annoying is that we usually get recorded delivery but because the online system wasn't working I had to call up for tickets and the woman on the phone didn't even mention delivery options so it wasn't until afterwards and it was too late that I remembered about asking for recorded delivery.

looks like its £80 down the drain and no match :(

I'll be absolutely fizzing if I phone back on the week of the game and there's no contingency in place. Membership and match tickets are a rip off as it is without the absolutely shocking service. 

9 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

I'll be absolutely fizzing if I phone back on the week of the game and there's no contingency in place. Membership and match tickets are a rip off as it is without the absolutely shocking service. 

The OH is already fizzing.

I think that was more because they said they wouldn't re-issue tickets on the basis that you can't have more than 2 tickets issued for the same seat (presumably because they expect that someone has the other ones) but that they aren't really bothered that it would mean that someone has stolen the tickets and either used them or sold them on. Even though we can prove who we are and have ID and membership cards.

Also because they make it bloody obvious when posting, that its tickets which are inside the envelope - you can see that easily through the address window. I get that stuff goes missing in the post anyway, but they don't have to help them out.

20 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

It has a very big team away to a minnow in an fa cup tie type feel this game when you compare the two teams .

The big team usually takes about 20 minutes to break down a packed defence then goes on to score about four or five

What is the point of you?

Minnows? We're no San Marino or Faroe Isles m8.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

The OH is already fizzing.

I think that was more because they said they wouldn't re-issue tickets on the basis that you can't have more than 2 tickets issued for the same seat (presumably because they expect that someone has the other ones) but that they aren't really bothered that it would mean that someone has stolen the tickets and either used them or sold them on. Even though we can prove who we are and have ID and membership cards.

Also because they make it bloody obvious when posting, that its tickets which are inside the envelope - you can see that easily through the address window. I get that stuff goes missing in the post anyway, but they don't have to help them out.

I bought a couple of tickets on Monday and it was special delivery. if they don't arrive ill be fucking seething.

3 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Minnows? We're no San Marino or Faroe Isles m8.

Miles off that standard!  

As long as we get stuck in, put Hart under pressure (see he was put in the worst Italian eleven last week). Hopefully if someone can get under Alli's skin and get him wound up, has a tendency to lash out. Would certainly take a point

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Miles off that standard!  

As long as we get stuck in, put Hart under pressure (see he was put in the worst Italian eleven last week). Hopefully if someone can get under Alli's skin and get him wound up, has a tendency to lash out. Would certainly take a point

Agree here. Very few teams would be anxious at playing England - certainly none of the big teams - but then again we have Strachan at the helm. Logically he has to play as many Celtic players as possible (in a previous post I threw in Sinclair as one, just for a reaction, although as an Englishman he would be in good company) but already he has snubbed McGregor who is in top form at present. I think he watches too much of their football and too little of ours (he lives there anyway so its understandable) and rates them higher than they deserve. they do have a few decent players but as above, one or two hotheads and would-be hard cases who should be sorted out by Brown etc.

Anything other than a win and we are definitely out of this competition, due mainly to the pig headedness of Strachan who should be dismissed at once (never mind choosing to resign or see out the remainder of the campaign). No other country panders to failures like we do. I include those at the very top who should also be dismissed if we fail to qualify - yet again.

Miles off that standard!  

If we take our chances and actually defend we have every chance of beating them, we were all over them at Wembley despite being horsed 3-0.

Weirdly confident we will get something from this.

12 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I think he watches too much of their football and too little of ours (he lives there anyway so its understandable) and rates them higher than they deserve. they do have a few decent players but as above, one or two hotheads and would-be hard cases who should be sorted out by Brown etc.

Quite, if Brown can be savvy enough not to get too involved, but at the same time give the likes of Alli a little niggle here and there, he won't be able to cope. 

As you said, they aren't that good, nowhere as good as some make out. Going off the topic slightly, Spurs (Walker/Rose/Dier/Alli/Kane) hardest league games this season came against West Ham, narrowly beating them at White Hart Lane in which West Ham snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and then losing against them in the away fixture. West Ham played a very high defensive line, with Kane having to drop almost into midfield to try and create something. They man marked Alli with Kouyate who can run and run all day, took Alli 50 minutes which is impressive for him before he squared up to a player. With the high defensive line, it forced the wing backs (Walker and Rose) further and further back. They just looked so disjointed, and it wasn't a case of an off day, they played the exact same system in their remaining league games and ran riot. 

It is all about how we play against Engerland defensively, as long as we can provide a solid and fairly high line, I am fairly confident of nicking something. Target Gary Cahill, I mean if Kenny Miller can make you look like a fool, you have a bloody chance.

Any time I start to get a little bit confident I get as far as remembering we'll have Martin and Berra/Mulgrew in the back four. I'll likely be a mess on the day of the game wondering "what if".

Can only imagine the expectation if we do pick up something here, can't see past a pretty straightforward England win though as much as I try not to. England will take the lead, we'll equalise leading to the commentators giving a bit of "How typical of Scotland to keep us hoping".

We'll lose 3-1.

15 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Any time I start to get a little bit confident I get as far as remembering we'll have Martin and Berra/Mulgrew in the back four. I'll likely be a mess on the day of the game wondering "what if".

Can only imagine the expectation if we do pick up something here, can't see past a pretty straightforward England win though as much as I try not to. England will take the lead, we'll equalise leading to the commentators giving a bit of "How typical of Scotland to keep us hoping".

We'll lose 3-1.

That's generous, If we score I will be stunned.......

I don't think there's any doubt that England are a poor side.  They're still much better than us though and will rightly be huge favourites for this game.   I would be surprised if they made it out their group in Russia next summer but they will qualify.

Not to say that we won't get a result, football's a funny old game. 

29 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

We'll lose 3-1.

Pretty much this.

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Problem with getting rid of Strachan is we'll end up lumbered with Moyes.

A bit of me likes the 'getting rid of Strachan' bit, but does a double slump at the 'lumbered with Moyes' part.

Archived