Post Split Fixtures

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone actually read the SPFL rules on post-split scheduling?
see Rule C16
Other than that, they can do what they like. And when it comes to the Ugly Sisters, they will.

Codified rules are one thing. Normal, accepted practice is another:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/how-the-fixture-list-is-prepared-2009-06-16/

I can't be arsed trying to understand what should have happened and what has happened and why. This isn't about numbers of home games.

It doesn't change the fact that twin cheeks have been treated as special again, even if only in the timing of an announcement. They have been treated differently because they are idiots. Some OF posters are defending the special treatment on this basis and can't see the irony.

Us- "why are they getting special treatment?"
Them- "shut up diddies we need special treatment cos we're fannies."

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Codified rules are one thing. Normal, accepted practice is another:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/how-the-fixture-list-is-prepared-2009-06-16/

I can't be arsed trying to understand what should have happened and what has happened and why. This isn't about numbers of home games.

It doesn't change the fact that twin cheeks have been treated as special again, even if only in the timing of an announcement. They have been treated differently because they are idiots. Some OF posters are defending the special treatment on this basis and can't see the irony.

Us- "why are they getting special treatment?"
Them- "shut up diddies we need special treatment cos we're fannies."

This is the SPL guide from 2009. As it is from the SPFL site, I presume they use the same criteria. Perhaps they should consider updating it to make the organisation appear a bit more professional. 

It makes no mention of post-split fixtures and therefore has no relevance in this discussion.

Whatever method they use to determine these fixtures, it can never be fair. Having a split after three rounds of matches ensures that this is the case.

I entirely agree that these two teams are being treated differently and that it is wrong. Unfortunately, that has long been the case.

Those that claim that this has been done on the insistence of the police should provide evidence.

It seems likely that it has more to do with the TV contract.

It wouldn't be the only instance of the TV contract being at odds with the sporting integrity of the league. Surely, the last round of matches before the split should all kick off simultaneously to ensure fairness. We have one match on Friday (moved for BT), four on Saturday and one on Sunday (moved for Sky).

Next time they do a TV deal they should have one eye on sporting integrity. That, too, would help to make the organisation appear a bit more professional.

Presumably they can now mathematically prove that Sevco, the lowest seeded top six club, will not have to visit Parkhead for a third time?

If they cannot, then this is the usual story of certain clubs getting special treatment.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Presumably they can now mathematically prove that Sevco, the lowest seeded top six club, will not have to visit Parkhead for a third time?

If they cannot, then this is the usual story of certain clubs getting special treatment.

What are the criteria for the seedings and for what purpose?

5 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Would assume it's supposed to be based on last years league positions, i.e Celtic, Dons, Hearts, Saints, Thistle, Sevco

Whereas in reality its going to be Celtic then Rangers, followed by four inconveniences

47 minutes ago, deej said:

Would assume it's supposed to be based on last years league positions, i.e Celtic, Dons, Hearts, Saints, Thistle, Sevco

Whereas in reality its going to be Celtic then Rangers, followed by four inconveniences

I have not seen seedings mentioned in any official documentation. What is their purpose?

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

Im fairly sure they take Dundee Uniteds "seeding" from last season, meaning in the case of their being an uneven home/away split (which im fairly sure is ue to happen due to Partick and Rangers both being new to the top half), the team to lose out on and home game should be Rangers. Sadly the rules aren't applied to them the same as it is to everyone else, so someone else will get shafted, yet again, probably Partick.

1 minute ago, Arnold Layne said:

I genuinely want to know what criteria are used to determine the post-split fixtures. Can anybody point me to documentation?

Not sure there has been anything since it became the SPFL. In the SPL days, there was once something that tried to explain how they do it (obviously neglecting that the key criteria was Rangers and Celtic get 19/19 and play each other twice at home) but not sure how you'd find it now.

Thistle will get 20 home games if they secure top six. The only fixture change will be Hearts coming to Perth a third time. I think @Fuctifano produced a good chart a few weeks ago.

C16

The Clubs in positions 1 to 6 of the Premiership immediately after the 33rd League Match in any Season shall play in that Season in a further five League Matches in that Season, once against each of the other five Clubs in such positions 1 to 6, and in at least two of such five League Matches each Club shall be the Home Club and the Clubs in positions 7 to 12 of the Premiership immediately after the 33rd League Match in any Season shall play in that Season in a further five League Matches in that Season, once against each of the other five Clubs in such positions 7 to 12, and in at least two of such five League Matches each Club shall be the Home Club.

So basically, everybody is guaranteed two home games after the split. Nothing else.

12 minutes ago, deej said:

Thanks. I have posted this already. The only reference to post-split games is in Rule C16

13 minutes ago, deej said:

So basically, everybody is guaranteed two home games after the split. Nothing else.

and Yes, that's the only criteria I can find.

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

Not sure there has been anything since it became the SPFL. In the SPL days, there was once something that tried to explain how they do it (obviously neglecting that the key criteria was Rangers and Celtic get 19/19 and play each other twice at home) but not sure how you'd find it now.

Thistle will get 20 home games if they secure top six. The only fixture change will be Hearts coming to Perth a third time. I think @Fuctifano produced a good chart a few weeks ago.

Yes, you're right. I remember seeing something like that. I think it was an explanation of how the computer model worked. Tbh though, it doesn't really matter how the computer model works if it is not backed up by regulation. The computer model could say Sort the Ugly Sisters out and fu<k the rest of them.

It seems to me, the problem is that they cannot write regulations because it is an inherently flawed system.

Archived