Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

For the 18th time, for those struggling to process what’s actually been said.

When questioned on the matter, if they were in a position of holding the balance of power. Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP have repeatedly stated, that under no circumstances would they allow the conservatives into power. With or without a section 30 order, there is no way the tories form government if there was an alternative. 

Funny how hard this is for some to grasp. 

It's not the black or white scenario that you depict though. A Labour minority government formed with confidence and supply (even implicit) is not the same as a formal coalition agreement like the Tory/Lib Dem pact in 2010 and there are multiple possible settlements between the two. If a Labour minority administration wants to actually enact a large part of its policy agenda - as opposed to just sitting in government doing nothing - then it would have to come to a mutually beneficial agreement with other parties. 

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You could've just explained why rather than making me ask.

I thought I already had above!  Firstly, the Lib Dems suffered significantly due to their involvement in the coalition, they got slaughtered in subsequent elections and it has taken time for their support to rebuild.  If they did it again then the consequences would be far more severe.

Secondly, the Tories are far further too the right than they were under Cameron, that’s unlikely to change even when Johnson goes.  There’s going to be very little commonality of policies.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought I already had above!  Firstly, the Lib Dems suffered significantly due to their involvement in the coalition, they got slaughtered in subsequent elections and it has taken time for their support to rebuild.  If they did it again then the consequences would be far more severe.

Secondly, the Tories are far further too the right than they were under Cameron, that’s unlikely to change even when Johnson goes.  There’s going to be very little commonality of policies.

LibDems won't care about how right wing the Tories are. They want the trappings of government and will dress it up as them being a moderating influence on them. They are pure opportunists, nothing else, no political backbone whatsoever. 

56 minutes ago, Zern said:

They've gone from single to double figures under whatisname's leadership, by Libdem standards that's an achievement.

By "whatisname" I assume you mean Johnson, it's got f**k all to do with err whatisname..

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

By "whatisname" I assume you mean Johnson, it's got f**k all to do with err whatisname..

Which presents a problem for the LibDems, catering to their new support base of disaffected Tories. Who will swiftly abandon the LibDems if they enter a coalition with Labour.

They are a damned party.

1 minute ago, Zern said:

Which presents a problem for the LibDems, catering to their new support base of disaffected Tories. Who will swiftly abandon the LibDems if they enter a coalition with Labour.

They are a damned party.

There's a story in the Sunday Times about 6 Tory MPs talking about crossing the floor to Labour, Libdems not even considered.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's a story in the Sunday Times about 6 Tory MPs talking about crossing the floor to Labour, Libdems not even considered.

Heh. Yeah, well, that says a lot about where Labour are politically.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Er, no they didn't. The folk at the head of the party got themselves a nice load of new contacts and some impressive post-politics jobs. The party itself dropped from being irrelevant to being even less relevant. The consequences would be the same as they always are for the Lib Dems when they're outed as being desperate chancers - a dip in the polls, then back to hoarding disaffected Tories until they get their tax cuts.

It's actually cute that you think commonality of policies would have anything to do with the Lib Dems glomming on to whoever happens to temporarily need them. I envy your optimism.

3 minutes ago, Zern said:

Heh. Yeah, well, that says a lot about where Labour are politically.

It says just as much about the desires of your average Conservative MP.

Some of them will be seeing Labour as likely to be the next government, that's all, and it can be cold on those shadow backbenches.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Er, no they didn't. The folk at the head of the party got themselves a nice load of new contacts and some impressive post-politics jobs. The party itself dropped from being irrelevant to being even less relevant. The consequences would be the same as they always are for the Lib Dems when they're outed as being desperate chancers - a dip in the polls, then back to hoarding disaffected Tories until they get their tax cuts.

It's actually cute that you think commonality of policies would have anything to do with the Lib Dems glomming on to whoever happens to temporarily need them. I envy your optimism.

Fine, we disagree on this.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Fine, we disagree on this.

I just never took you for such a believer in politicians' motivations. It must be hard to sustain.

Fekkin ell. You think you know someone, then.... 

A close relative has just confessed that she voted "no" in the Indyref, contrary to what she said before. (Family court set for Saturday 😁

She said it was because of the doubts over continued EU membership.  She has come to her senses now and assures me that she's now a nailed on Yes voter. 

Small steps. 

Fekkin ell. You think you know someone, then.... 
A close relative has just confessed that she voted "no" in the Indyref, contrary to what she said before. (Family court set for Saturday [emoji16]) 
She said it was because of the doubts over continued EU membership.  She has come to her senses now and assures me that she's now a nailed on Yes voter. 
Small steps. 

Love these stories, heard so many of them. Reminds me of the Only An Excuse sketch with the tartan army foot soldier voting no in the privacy of the polling booth. She’s lied to you once before, think she’s telling the truth this time?
IMG_8797.jpg
I suspect this poll is Brit Nat propaganda, but interesting none the less.