Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

47 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's a true story.

You'll note, once again, I'm trying to discuss the topic at hand, and you are trying to launch a personal attack on me.

Look mate you're only in Forfar do you want me to hand deliver a signed pic or something?  

No it's not because you are an attention-seeking, spamming nutcase. 

f**k off. 

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

No it's not because you are an attention-seeking, spamming nutcase. 

f**k off. 

Yeah totally, someone would make that up eh.  Walloper.

I don't seek attention but you seem to always want to give it to me. If you want to discus Nicola Sturgeon you're in the right place, if you want to mount yet another tedious personal attack on me you're not.

12 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

In the meantime, more SNP activists who actually get out and campaign and are therefore an important part of the electoral machine would be leaving the party as they couldn’t stomach seeing what they perceive to be bigotry going unchallenged, for the sake of appeasing people whose contribution amounts to tweeting Wings articles and accusing anyone who doesn't want UDI yesterday of being yoon plants. The dream Unionist scenario of Joanna Cherry as leader would become ever more likely.

In that context, silence from the leadership wasn't an option.

That's miles off, Dunning... miles and miles...

Sturgeon 'responded' to maybe a couple of dozen resignations from the more vocal youth section... she's said precisely nothing about the c. 40,000 members who've left over the past three years. It's impossible to say why those people left, but reasonable to speculate that a. fumbling the Brexit ball and b. concerns about the erosion of women's rights have been significant factors.

If she can be silent about tens of thousands of defections for those reasons, it's clear the decision to speak yesterday was motivated by, let's say, 'other concerns'. She's in full deflection mode, simple as that.

I couldn't give a flying f**k about Joanna Cherry, but what you're just not acknowledging in your reading of the factional positioning is that Cherry and many others _know_ what happened in the Salmond stitch-up... there's no way they're going to let that pass, for moral and political reasons alike.

Sturgeon is the cause of the split that's about to stagger the SNP. You're giving her far too much credit.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Sturgeon 'responded' to maybe a couple of dozen resignations from the more vocal youth section... she's said precisely nothing about the c. 40,000 members who've left over the past three years. It's impossible to say why those people left, but reasonable to speculate that a. fumbling the Brexit ball and b. concerns about the erosion of women's rights have been significant factors.

If she can be silent about tens of thousands of defections for those reasons, it's clear the decision to speak yesterday was motivated by, let's say, 'other concerns'. She's in full deflection mode, simple as that.

I couldn't give a flying f**k about Joanna Cherry, but what you're just not acknowledging in your reading of the factional positioning is that Cherry and many others _know_ what happened in the Salmond stitch-up... there's no way they're going to let that pass, for moral and political reasons alike.

Sturgeon is the cause of the split that's about to stagger the SNP. You're giving her far too much credit.

The split in the SNP comes from the man who advised voters not to vote SNP and the last election, has single-handedly elevated GRA as being the most important thing in the world and has made the removal of NS as his new - most important thing in the world.   

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

but reasonable to speculate that a. fumbling the Brexit ball and b. concerns about the erosion of women's rights have been significant factors.

Also reasonable to speculate that any defectors are "independent of the union, independent of the EU" clods upset at the determination to stay in the EU.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Sturgeon is the cause of the split that's about to stagger the SNP.

Pish.

4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

The split in the SNP comes from the man who advised voters not to vote SNP and the last election, has single-handedly elevated GRA as being the most important thing in the world and has made the removal of NS as his new - most important thing in the world.   

What an incredibly, unbelievably powerful man that man must be...

Stop clutching.

53 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Why would Sturgeon have been so worried about a Salmond come back, when, according his pal Craig Murray, all he wanted was to be chairman of Johnstone Press, and he'd shown no signs of political activity apart from signing up with RT, that she'd gamble everything by somehow persuading ten women to lie in court against him? It's robot planes on 9/11 levels of fantasy.

Edited by welshbairn

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Well actually, that's not true. The most recent story - as reported by BBC Scotland last week - was about an activist who decided to leave the party complaining about 'anti-trans' comments at a local branch meeting. This is what Sturgeon is ostensibly reacting to. That this is a proxy for party infighting is not in dispute, but the idea that this particular intervention was provoked by the nutter wing is just not true. Sturgeon could have filed this departure of some random member in the bin where it belonged, but here we are instead. 

I don't see a 'good faith' side to this debate now, they're both at it. 

This fails to consider wider context. You're looking at the straw that broke the camel's back being placed on then saying "well, I don't see why that one straw caused the camel to collapse!" as you disregard the rest of the straw. The resignation of activists as you describe being the ostensible reason for her to intervene doesn't mean you can disregard everything else that's happened pushing Sturgeon to get involved and say that's a minor issue which a leader should rise above, when other events to date in the proxy war over the last few months have seen public spats between MPs and MSPs, the nutters taking control of the NEC, and opening the party up to accusations of antisemitism on top of the ongoing transphobia as part of the proxy war.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You've defeated your own argument there, even before the post descends into full on jet fuel can't melt steel beams!!!1!11!  material with the Salmond conspiracy theories.

You're taking a guess at why people left with no knowledge of the reasons; we know why people have left over the last few days.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

This fails to consider wider context. You're looking at the straw that broke the camel's back being placed on then saying "well, I don't see why that one straw caused the camel to collapse!" as you disregard the rest of the straw. The resignation of activists as you describe being the ostensible reason for her to intervene doesn't mean you can disregard everything else that's happened pushing Sturgeon to get involved and say that's a minor issue which a leader should rise above, when other events to date in the proxy war over the last few months have seen public spats between MPs and MSPs, the nutters taking control of the NEC, and opening the party up to accusations of antisemitism on top of the ongoing transphobia as part of the proxy war.

You've defeated your own argument there, even before the post descends into full on jet fuel can't melt steel beams!!!1!11!  material with the Salmond conspiracy theories.

You're taking a guess at why people left with no knowledge of the reasons; we know why people have left over the last few days.m

Yeah we do, cause of the vicious misogyny and vile abuse dished out by the trans Mafia.

53 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

There is also the question of the ‘missing’ £500k plus within the SNP accounts?

This was supposedly ring- fenced money for the indyref campaign.

Letters have gone to both the previous and new treasurer but answers there have been none.

This scunnered a lot of activists.

First I heard about this, but given we are the thiird largest party by our membership of over 125,000, the majority of which like my wife and I contribute generously monthly it also means we, the SNP, are very wealthy, so as in any business there can be financial discrepancies, it bothers me not a jot as the means justifies the end.

Bear in mind that that SNP membership is generated from a Scottish population of 5 Million.

The tories have a membership of 191,000 out of a population of 65 Million.

Just as a wee trivial btw the Scottish labour party had a membership of just over 21,000 in 2019.

Edited by SandyCromarty

13 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

First I heard about this, but given we are the thiird largest party by our membership of over 125,000, the majority of which like my wife and I contribute generously monthly it also means we, the SNP, are very wealthy, so as in any business there can be financial discrepancies, it bothers me not a jot as the means justifies the end.

Bear in mind that that SNP membership is generated from a Scottish population of 5 Million.

The tories have a membership of 191,000 out of a population of 65 Million.

Just as a wee trivial btw the Scottish labour party had a membership of just over 21,000 in 2019.

Maybe you should take a look at the latest SNP accounts and you might not be quite so complacent?