Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

1 hour ago, Pato said:

There was a thing on whatscotlandthinks that said there's been a rise in support for independence among people with more broadly authoritarian views.

https://whatscotlandthinks.org/2021/04/the-changing-role-of-identity-and-values-in-scotlands-politics/

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe a bit more authoritarianism and a bit less 'I'll do what the f##k I want, no SNP ministers are gonny tell ME what to do!'  might have helped Glasgow get into lower level restrictions before now.

There's too many folk ignoring the Covid laws/advice and not enough getting a smack in the mouth, IMO. 

I love when someone makes a point and someone else immediately comes to illustrate an example

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe a bit more authoritarianism and a bit less 'I'll do what the f##k I want, no SNP ministers are gonny tell ME what to do!'  might have helped Glasgow get into lower level restrictions before now.

There's too many folk ignoring the Covid laws/advice and not enough getting a smack in the mouth, IMO. 

Glasgow’s miles Better: now with added punishment beatings!

It’s what they deserve.

515349CD-9207-493E-8AF7-BA61E9F45604.jpeg

323579D0-E0EA-4FEE-907D-0F4A375E81FF.jpeg

437D25F4-46C6-4887-9E0F-5606B001CBBE.jpeg

Edited by Scary Bear

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

For many folk in and from my home city, the truth is uncomfortable.  The sad truth is that the more people piss around with the Covid rules, the longer Covid hangs around.  Glasgow is still in T3.  It's really not hard to work out why. 

Quite. You need to get doon the ludge and get the brethren telt. 😖

Are their any conservatives who are pro independence? I would think in an independent Scotland the conservatives would probably gain more votes than they do now after a few years.  

I’m not sure if this is what you’re asking but if you mean people who have conservative & right of centre ideology who support independence? Then yes there are bound to be a significant minority who mostly vote snp

If there ever was independence then I imagine the parliament would become dominated by a social democratic party made up of majority current snp members and some labour lib/ labs
And a new “ conservative “party made up of current moderate tories and the more right wing snp members. With the greens further to the left and some sort of British nationalist nostalgia party further to the right who would oppose EU membership

You’d likely find that the SD would be dominant like the tories are in the uk with “conservatives” winning sporadically whenever SD fall out of favour

But you never know, independence could be such a shock to the system that it changes the voting preferences radically

Only one way to find out...

37 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Quite. You need to get doon the ludge and get the brethren telt. 😖

Oi! Other stereotypes are available! 😁

I have never been a member of any 'ludge' - and I've only been in a lodge once. An ex-pal took me to one before a match at Parkhead in the 1980s. Never again. Looking back it was kind of a mixture of Hogwarts and a Rev Ian Paisley fan club, with a depressing lack of musicality in the 'traditional' sing-song department.  I said "ex pal" because he seemed to insist on living his life in the late 17th Century and seemed more concerned with Northern Ireland - where he had never been by then or since as far as I know - than the city where he lives. 

Nor, for what my assertions are worth, have I ever worn a sash, or insisted on parading up and down the streets behind a band, singing about centuries old battles, queens, kings or seeming to encourage sex with religious leaders based in a small European City State.  If can be quite difficult for me to decide what my main feeling is about the nutter brigades that seem attached to some clubs... is it pity, disappointment or anger? 🤔 Sometimes it's a combination.  So many choices, but pride in the fans' behaviour rarely gets a look in.  As referred to in another thread a couple of weeks ago, I hope the fans screw the nut before any European ties or UEFA will kick the Club's cu....... err, remonstrate with us severely. 

Night all. 

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Can you be an enthusiastic member of the C&U Party and favour independence?

Questions like that get me scratching my head too, but no doubt they exist. There's no position so illogical that you can't find somebody willing to adopt it.

There's a series of infamous racist (particularly anti-Semitic) cartoons that were all over the net years ago, and when the artist was tracked down, he turned out to be married to a Jewish woman. Cognitive dissonance is unreal; we're a fucked-up species.

Just now, BFTD said:

Questions like that get me scratching my head too, but no doubt they exist. There's no position so illogical that you can't find somebody willing to adopt it.

There's a series of infamous racist (particularly anti-Semitic) cartoons that were all over the net years ago, and when the artist was tracked down, he turned out to be married to a Jewish woman. Cognitive dissonance is unreal; we're a fucked-up species.

Lovecraft was married to a Jewish woman albeit he did apparently recanted his bigotry nearer the end. Which is nice.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Lovecraft was married to a Jewish woman albeit he did apparently recanted his bigotry nearer the end. Which is nice.

Oddly enough, I was just reading Herbert West: Reanimator again the other day. Jesus fucking Christ, Howard - really?

I've literally just noticed that his childhood cat was called Niggerman, which sounds like a superhero from Marvel's early days that they've been frantically airbrushing since the 60s. Also, if you were setting up a word filter on an internet forum, wouldn't that be the first one to go in, instead of fannying about with nonsense like ***?

Was he anti-Semitic before he had Jewish in-laws or did that come later?

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

For many folk in and from my home city, the truth is uncomfortable.  The sad truth is that the more people piss around with the Covid rules, the longer Covid hangs around.  Glasgow is still in T3.  It's really not hard to work out why. 

Because you guys have emboldened an authoritarian group that love to exercise their power over you to show how great and progressive they are. 

It's so sad when you think of Scottish history that the pro Indy groups would lead to such servility and boot licking. 

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Oddly enough, I was just reading Herbert West: Reanimator again the other day. Jesus fucking Christ, Howard - really?

I've literally just noticed that his childhood cat was called Niggerman, which sounds like a superhero from Marvel's early days that they've been frantically airbrushing since the 60s. Also, if you were setting up a word filter on an internet forum, wouldn't that be the first one to go in, instead of fannying about with nonsense like ***?

Go on then let's head your order of which slurs are the most offensive and why. 

18 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Because you guys have emboldened an authoritarian group that love to exercise their power over you to show how great and progressive they are. 

It's so sad when you think of Scottish history that the pro Indy groups would lead to such servility and boot licking. 

The only entity that has been anything like "emboldened" by people ignoring health advice is the virus.  

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’m going to say that regardless of my own religious upbringing that I reckon the n word comfortably beats *** as an offensive word.

I'd say it's pretty dangerous to disregard one of them as "nonsense".  

I'd love to hear a list though and the justifications for what's worse than each other, what could possibly go wrong? 

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The only entity that has been anything like "emboldened" by people ignoring health advice is the virus.  

You said it's not hard to work out why Glasgow is still in T3, it's because you elected the SNP. If you hadn't I doubt there would be such bed wetting in Glasgow right now.