CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

On 27/08/2017 at 02:30, David W said:

Originally planned to post this in the match thread but it's better suited in here.

There's no doubt there's a serious lack of direction. Whilst being aware of history, I've only ever seen Clyde as a Cumbernauld club. For me it's home, and personally I'd like us to stay there. I don't think you can blame a stadium for supporter's apathy but a part of me does wonder if a new stadium elsewhere, combined with fluking a half-decent team, might be the only way to stop the deterioration. The continued non-committal to an actual area, which has been going on for 5 years, can't be helping anyone. It gives an extra excuse which isn't needed when the on field decline has been so sudden. Even within the last couple of months the Clyde foundation have been awarded a massive grant to deliver sport to Cumbernauld children, whilst our away strip is sponsored by a company who appear to be focused on regenerating the East End of Glasgow. Inconsistency all over the shop. The chairman rambling on about how all we're really concerned about is a winning team, yet he is determined to strip costs, is yet another petrifying, inconsistent situation. I'd hoped he would be sharp and decisive but whilst I appreciate that these things take time, the previous ineptitude/slow paced progress from others means that time is something he doesn't have.

One problem is that our support, more than most, all pulls in completely different directions. It's a direct result of the wide range of experiences, successes and failures we've had in the last 20 years. Some seem to think we're a Premier league team in the waiting, others think that we've merely got an entitlement far above this division, others accept that we're probably a League 1 side at best, and others just go hoping we're competitive and aren't overly bothered what level we're playing at if we're winning some games. Some go to be entertained, some go to win. Some think the referees have a conspiracy going back to the day we signed some Junior players, others see them as guys doing a job that very few would actually want to do. Others see it as a badge of honour if they shout abuse at players and managers, others cringe at the language and vitriol used. As groups of friends dwindle, these divisions become even more stark as you're more exposed to how other people look at their Saturday. I ask myself what I have in common with other Clyde fans and it's very little. Indeed, I actively dislike some of our fans. I'm certain the feeling is mutual and I don't really care about that. It absolutely affects a match-day; on the rare occasions that we pull in the right direction (last season Albion away, Ayr away, Elgin at home, Montrose away) then a goal feels like it's worth celebrating. Yesterday, like so often, it felt like a moment between me and the team, rather than a collective support and the team. I worry that will never be solved without an unlikely, dramatic twist in our fortunes.

Taking things further, the match-day experience is atrocious and I'm not referring to the product on the pitch. It doesn't overly bother me; I'm happy turning up, having a read of the programme then watching the match. But what incentive is there for a kid to go to a game? Would it be that difficult to get the mascot back on the go, have some activities around the stadium (generic rubbish like face-painting, a beat the goalie on one of the fives pitches etc) that kids might go for pre-match. The one thing there should always be is groups of kids (we had them even when descending the leagues); the fact that they've fallen by the wayside is worrying. We've got plenty of people doing work in the wider community but not for the Clyde community (youth schemes but no Clyde Club as one example). Activities outside of a Saturday afternoon aren't going to give kids an idea of what the club is like.

I can remember as a child, one of the things that caught me was the Song of the Clyde playing every game, as the teams ran out. 123 was played as well. That was when I got excited about the match. Now it's more common to hear Coldplay or the pitiful anti-prophetic funeral march about not going down without a fight. In this day and age there will be a turnover of players and managers which reduces attachment but add in small, sentimental, insignificant things like that being lost, then there's no identity for anyone to associate with. You could literally be watching any team.

Surely with less than 500 people coming through the gates they can make a bigger push to run the kiosks and then serve up some food which will attract people to eat at the ground (me and my brother spend nearly £10 on stuff at Greggs/the supermarket in town as we'd not go near any of the pies and guff dished up at Broadwood)? I went to a couple of baseball games last summer and whilst I appreciate the crowd size, finances etc are very different, I could literally eat anything I want. It wasn't cold, stuck to a foil tin, or tasteless. I paid through the nose for it, quite happily. Berwick's chip van (I presume run externally) must make a decent return as it's something a bit different. Forfar probably attract a bit more sales with the bridies. Killie pie. Stenny soup. Etc. There's something else where we have no identity despite it being one of the few consistent elements of a match day. 

Then there's the infamous CIC. Where is the incentive to join that, what with it's (perhaps unwarranted) reputation? All you really get is your name on the website and the ability to attend an AGM (which are the most dull, lifeless things in the World; not just at Clyde). I can put my money into the 200 fund, into my season ticket, into buying stuff from the shop, into a one-off special kit and I get something tangible out of it. That's what life is like. Why not make it something that offers up something of a return; a monthly competition, votes on more issues (vote for which away kit we're going to get, a player of the month etc), a "free" scarf. These things are very much superficial and to some may even seem wishy-washy, but I can guarantee it would make people engage with it regularly and actually cause people to want to join. Have the AGM pre or post match (the opposition directors can fend for themselves). Why not have directors out in the stands pre-match, just saying hello or inviting people to Club 58, or looking to have a chat about club matters, and therefore have them remove the veil of secrecy which some claim exists. These people (and this is absolutely not a criticism of what are some longstanding supporters) have no identity within the club. Give them that identity and people will join.

Why not have the PA system advertising the 200 club, the CIC, Castlemilk/Glasgow branch bus times and so on. Quick announcements of off-field news for those who don't go on the internet/buy a programme. Again, identity. Clyde announcements at Clyde's ground. Everyone knowing the same information. Take out the rare occasions that an ex-player is visiting, and you'd again have very little idea that you were at a Clyde game.

I could no doubt list more areas where we fall dramatically short and give suggestions for improvement. These are the ones that came to mind on this fine evening. Hopefully, for once on P&B, it will inspire some constructive discussion rather than petty sniping; possibly it might be the start of a River of Good.

To end on a positive note, the Clyde View may now finally be £3, but it continues to be a terrific read. I got a Clyde View on my first visit to Broadwood, and at every subsequent game. With the exception of the atrociously written match reports, I read it every pre-match, within seconds of sitting on my seat. Not everyone does that, but there's something I can identify with, and associate with a match day. Wherever we end up playing, we need a lot more of that.

Excellent post. The reason I want Clyde to succeed is really down to supporting the underdog, the great history your club has and having previously lived in Glasgow just great to see two figures up to Celtic and Rangers.

However if Clyde are going to come back and to be honest as an outsider it seems in the balance you need to start with identity. Firstly I have no view if Broadwood is best or the East End or some other fecking place but what is clear is it is 30 odd years since you left Shawfield - that is a long time and there is a real danger that just too much time has elapsed? What is clear however if you stay at Cumbernauld be proud of it - if you are not why would any local turn up? I get the impression after all these years Cumbernauld still grates with many? You need clear and effective leadership here defining what Clyde is about but also ensuring the remaining support largely buys into it.

Second the poster is right- get the whole experience right- why wouldn't you play Song of the Clyde, 1-2-3- great songs rather than some amorphous rubbish. Decent food, family atmosphere critical or it will be like the Church of Scotland with half the congregation near dead! Build tradition. You can't compete with Celtic on the park (well I think you did beat them last time you played so perhaps that is not fair) but create community/ fun/ eccentricity what ever - people need a reason.

Third the money involved in Div 2 is tiny- the difference is attitude, leadership, team-spirit etc. I get the impression trust is pretty low but without support the spiral is negative and that itself turns people away. Clearly money is very tight but build a database and fire off emails to keep the support informed. Hibs do that brilliantly and if you don't resign up or haven't attended for a bit your on the database and can expect an email- they know pretty well who attends as most tickets are either seasons or bought on line or via database.  That really is the boards job but in the last decade Clyde have had over 1000 at games so I would guess, without any real logic, if you are down to 500 your wider support is perhaps 5-10 that who are potential regulars- potential being the operative word. The easiest people to get through he door are those who have attended before but I do accept it help if the product is half decent

And that is the rub ultimately it is about success that drives support but by doing the small things and particularly deciding on Clyde's modern identity and location and sticking with it is key. Flip flop around and it will be the Lowland League and perhaps no way back. last season should be a big wake up call. Good luck!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/08/2017 at 14:12, Johnny Däpp said:

David, you make a shitload of fantastic points here. The mascot thing is being addressed as we speak I know I can answer that. 

Your points and views are very important and to be honest it's pretty much useless being on here. What I'm suggesting is I arrange for a meeting at some point midweek with the Supporters Liaison Officer and a couple of guys including myself who have been involved in things in the background. I'd go as far as getting a particular board member along who I'm sure would happily join us, probably even Tom Elliott as well. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in as it's stuff like you've pointed out that would be crucial to improving the match day experience particular for the younger supporters. 

Only just read this. I'm more than happy to have these ideas passed on and push this further with other suggestions. At the moment, I can't commit too much time myself to implement them sadly (I realise that's maybe one of the problems).

I don't mean this in bad faith but all of the above reads like nails scratching a chalk-board to me.

Experience and stature at the back. Same in boiler room plus a bit of athleticism for good measure. Just dae it.

David's post is an excellent one and hits the nail on the head on a number of issues but most of what he says should be blatantly obvious to those who have been around the club for awhile. The fact he is being held up as some sort of amazing visionary who should impart his wisdom to the board is fairly worrying. Surely someone working for the club must have the savvy to suss some of that stuff out.

It's obvious to everyone we need to put down roots and forge a strong local identity to grow. But the elephant in the room is our location it needs clearing up once and for all asap. When we went to cumbernauld I believed it to be "our forever home" till the board brought up EK. I never considered we might move anywhere when shettleston was mentioned a ground I've never been to some guys on here who visited it could see the possibilities now the new chairman is saying within 2 miles of shawfield my head has been turned .wherever we end up is going to disappoint some fans I know a lot of the younger group are cumbernauld/kirkie based I've seen them pile on the train at Croyheading for stenny respect to them. only the old shawfield sight and it's not gonna be there could get us all behind it" it might be a midden but we won 3 Scottish playing out of that midden"  the board need to make a decision soon if we're staying in cumbernauld we have to announce that too not just a 5 year lease but that were here for good and if we leave Broadwood we will still be staying in cumbernauld/kirkie area this decision is what's holding everything up and stopping us from growing our support as I said won't be able to please everyone but board need to grow some and make an announcement soon before our support dwindles even more and they will have to stick to whatever they decide make it happen and take the critism

9 minutes ago, ian mac said:

It's obvious to everyone we need to put down roots and forge a strong local identity to grow. But the elephant in the room is our location it needs clearing up once and for all asap. When we went to cumbernauld I believed it to be "our forever home" till the board brought up EK. I never considered we might move anywhere when shettleston was mentioned a ground I've never been to some guys on here who visited it could see the possibilities now the new chairman is saying within 2 miles of shawfield my head has been turned .wherever we end up is going to disappoint some fans I know a lot of the younger group are cumbernauld/kirkie based I've seen them pile on the train at Croyheading for stenny respect to them. only the old shawfield sight and it's not gonna be there could get us all behind it" it might be a midden but we won 3 Scottish playing out of that midden"  the board need to make a decision soon if we're staying in cumbernauld we have to announce that too not just a 5 year lease but that were here for good and if we leave Broadwood we will still be staying in cumbernauld/kirkie area this decision is what's holding everything up and stopping us from growing our support as I said won't be able to please everyone but board need to grow some and make an announcement soon before our support dwindles even more and they will have to stick to whatever they decide make it happen and take the critism

100%- what ever is decided needs to be permanent and ideally decided quite quickly. To my mind it is either near Shawfield or Cumbernauld- to go to a third location means starting all over again and probably one time too many...... 

100%- what ever is decided needs to be permanent and ideally decided quite quickly. To my mind it is either near Shawfield or Cumbernauld- to go to a third location means starting all over again and probably one time too many...... 

I agree with you about the third location.
More importantly though, it needs to be the correct decision.
If it needs time to be sure, it needs time.

However, the fans need to be informed and have their opinions heard.

At Clyde, lack of information always leads to rumour, arguments and disharmony.

Personally, I'm sick of all the factions, infighting and insults within our support. Not everyone will be happy but we need to keep supporting the team.

By the way. Isn't it a sore one that Marvin Andrews came to us at a time when we were all about playing out from the back? The way we're setting up to play now, he'd really suit us.

Put Andrews in Nicoll, McNiff or Home's shoes on Saturday past. Longworth? McGuigan? Forget it. Andrews would've anonymised them. Sure, his lethargy would still be a vulnerability. And his tendency to, ahem, 'individual errors'. But he's no worse than Nicoll in that regard. And he's far more impressive as a defender. Stick a nimbler, but still experienced player in alongside him and we'd be a really tough nut to crack. All the first balls back into midfield, guaranteed.

See the under 20 got beat 5- 1 by Morton with Currie , miller , breslin and lowden in the team .

But there was lots if positives

Suppose we could have lost 6 or 7-1[emoji23]

12 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

A midfielder is definitely something we've needed. Any idea on what sort of player he is?

Only watched him briefly in the Aberdeen humping at the end of last season and a friendly at Dumbarton this preseason. Not the biggest but can tackle and pick a pass. Also gets amongst the goals for the development team (I know, I know).

Good luck to him and I hope the move works out for both parties.

Archived