The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, NathanDrake88 said:

You say this every day, you’re a shite troll. Try harder bro 

Do you idiots actually go to games because you seriously need to open your eyes to the utter shite that is on display.

Edited by elvis

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Can see Strapp signing soon . He can fit in at left back and cover left central defence . We do though need a solid midfielder and another attacking option . Wonder who we have lined up to strengthen the central defence if big Dec goes. 

Be surprised if we sign Strapp and he's not tall, so not so good in the air in central defence.

Anyhow replacing Gallagher with better on less money would be some conjuring. Getting a fee too, is just showing off.

I’m sorry to report that the stopped clock that is Elvis is right tonight.

We were absolutely diabolical tonight. From start to finish. Cowdenbeath pressed really well and although we obviously had the majority of the ball, they were not just sitting back. 
I’d be a liar if I said they never caused us as many problems as we caused them…..not many but some. Apart from a few little flurries here and there we never looked like scoring until very near the end. Greive was unlucky with one of his trademark back to goal swivel and shoot moves that was just wide and when Strain hit the bar with a free kick late into injury time I thought that was the last chance. However, somehow the ref gave us the time to have one last chance and we grabbed the vital goal. 
In a desperate attempt to find an excuse I would say the pitch (despite surprisingly being a grass pitch) wasn’t great, but let’s face it we should be able to comfortably Beat a team 50 or so places below us in the pyramid on a ploughed tottie field. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Gallagher will sign for Utd today anyway, Goodwin more or less confirmed that in his post match interview last night.

Too big an opportunity for us for it to be affected by the Dunne injury.

Getting a fee and presumably a big wage off the books for a player that is past his top flight best will be a coup, but I also think it’s a good signing for Utd so everyone wins.

If that allows us to bring in a new CB and LWB then it’s a good result.

New striker will surely arrive before the end of the week.

And I’d expect us to put the pedal down on the Carson departure too.

Big few days ahead.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m sorry to report that the stopped clock that is Elvis is right tonight.

We were absolutely diabolical tonight. From start to finish. Cowdenbeath pressed really well and although we obviously had the majority of the ball, they were not just sitting back. 
I’d be a liar if I said they never caused us as many problems as we caused them…..not many but some. Apart from a few little flurries here and there we never looked like scoring until very near the end. Greive was unlucky with one of his trademark back to goal swivel and shoot moves that was just wide and when Strain hit the bar with a free kick late into injury time I thought that was the last chance. However, somehow the ref gave us the time to have one last chance and we grabbed the vital goal. 
In a desperate attempt to find an excuse I would say the pitch (despite surprisingly being a grass pitch) wasn’t great, but let’s face it we should be able to comfortably Beat a team 50 or so places below us in the pyramid on a ploughed tottie field. 

Exactly how I saw last nights game . Though I think the grass may have been allowed to grow that wee bit longer .

That was woeful from so many last night.

Dunne shelling passes out the park left, right and centre.

Transfer steadfastly believing that he'll be able to cross the ball through the man right in front of him.

Mandron's first touch might be the worst I've ever seen, makes his second rich either a tackle or rubbing away from goal.

Grieve just isn't up to it. Puts a shift in but has no quality or composure at all.

Thought even Strain had a poor game by his standards. 

9 minutes ago, Abstract said:

That was woeful from so many last night.

Dunne shelling passes out the park left, right and centre.

Transfer steadfastly believing that he'll be able to cross the ball through the man right in front of him.

Mandron's first touch might be the worst I've ever seen, makes his second rich either a tackle or rubbing away from goal.

Grieve just isn't up to it. Puts a shift in but has no quality or composure at all.

Thought even Strain had a poor game by his standards. 

We don’t boo or abuse our own though. Especially a guy like Transfer. You’ll drive a Transfer out of the club with talk like that. 😃 Aye, so shitfest our way past Forfar, stumble into the last sixteen on the back of utter pish from our shite team, and who knows. Last sixteen after being so dreadful? Just. Fcuking. Get. There.

I’m buying a half-and-half scarf at the final. Easy the Mirren.

Edited by pozbaird

8 hours ago, medals said:

Be surprised if we sign Strapp and he's not tall, so not so good in the air in central defence.

I’d assume if we did sign him, we’d sign Strapp as a left wing back rather than a central defender. However, he’s an inch taller than Man Utd’s Lisandro Martinez

I was working last night so didn't find out the score till this morning - lucky me!

Still we've a chance to put the group stage troubles behind us on Saturday....

Edited by btb

27 minutes ago, elvis said:

I dread to think what Hibs are going to do to that lot .I know it's early days but MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT REQUIRED right away because what's on offer would make your eyes bleed.

Going by the altar of illiteracy that is Hibs.net many Hibs fans are just as scared of the first game as you are. 

That said I'm a little more confident in the team than them.

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I have a fear Kiltie will be out for a considerable time, which would be a real blow as he's about the only midfielder we have with any creativity.

On the other hand, young Fraser Taylor could be the one to step up.

I think Fraser will be going out on loan along with another couple.

As others have mentioned we continued our history of struggling against lower league sides.

I've witnessed many over the years, so it's no surprise.

I remember us beating East Kilbride in the Challenge cup, with two goals in the last three minutes to win 2-1, and, as already mentioned, our draw with them at their ground.

Of course we should have enough to comfortably defeat lower league teams, but as they say, "it's a funny old game".

Last night we had disruption to both our defence and midfield, due to transfer business/injury and suspension. 

We've had players in midfield and up front who have hardly kicked a ball in the past month or so.

At least we've got ourselves into the position of putting whether we qualify or not in our own hands.

Am I worried? Of course I am, especially with the league start less than a couple of weeks away.

We've got McMenamin, Kiltie, Dunne, Flynn and possibly Baccus injured.

We still have to integrate, both a new CH and a striker into our system, and we also need a LWB to cover/compete with Tanser.

Possibly another 'keeper too when Carson gets the move he desires.

Fingers crossed that we can get most of our business sorted in the "next 48 hours" and we can at least plug some of the gaps.

The Forfar game will be a significant challenge as they have been playing extremely well by all accounts. Let's hope we can continue with our good home form.

Edited by FTOF