The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I think there are regular buses during the day though. The plan might be Tirana first night, Shkoder second, and bus back to Tirana the following morning.

Reykavik would be a whole lot easier travel wise, if a lot more expensive and with the added issue of limited tickets for the game.

I’m not sure tickets will be an issue in Iceland. It’s not as if we’re a big draw for their fans and I can’t imagine we’d take particularly big numbers.

If we needed a couple of hundred tickets (which is the max I think we’d need), I’m sure we’d get them. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

To those planning to go to Albania, you do know that the game will be in Shkoder which is 100km away from Tirana?

There are no trains between the two and AFAIK no buses in the evening.

When I was there in 2018 Saints fan Davy Provan (Davy Buses on Facebook) organised coaches to/from Shkoder but that was for Scotland, I've no idea if he would do similar for a club game.

That’s part of the fun! I’m looking at trying to get there Wednesday mid-afternoon if connections allow and getting an airport bus to Shkodër. Likely looking at a Friday afternoon flight out (if I’m doing it on a budget) or spending a day or two exploring before a weekend flight back.

Trips like these don’t come along often, and I can’t say Albania was ever on my bucket list, but definitely want to make the most of the opportunity if it presents itself. If it’s Iceland, paying for it is Future Codfish’s problem.

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Adult shirts £10

Aye, if you're the size of that boy Hungary brought on the other night.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think we can all agree that the words of random fans on the internet are largely meaningless. I mean, there's been guys on this very thread slagging Ryan Strain.

Robbo's signing record is frankly astonishing at this stage so I'm unworried.

The list of players who have been written off on this thread could make a good thread of it's own.

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Pretty uninspiring signings this week. I didn’t really rate Brown at all whenever he played last season and a quick read of the Shrews forum isn’t great in terms of Idowu. For the most part they seem glad to get rid of him “headless chicken” “not league one standard” “waste of money” and a rather hyperbolic sounding “worst player ever to wear the shirt”. 🤷‍♂️

Reads like a cut and paste of the Motherwell fans’ comments when we signed Mandron. 

2 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Reads like a cut and paste of the Motherwell fans’ comments when we signed Mandron. 

I hope it turns out as good as that one (or better), although it's currently a loan of course.

People are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing I reckon.

How many fans do folk think are going to travel to either destination at a week’s notice.

My strong prediction is that there will be more than sufficient tickets for anyone that wants one. 

Christ we generally only take a couple of hundred to Aberdeen, never mind Iceland or Albania. 

33 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

How many fans do folk think are going to travel to either destination at a week’s notice.

My strong prediction is that there will be more than sufficient tickets for anyone that wants one. 

Christ we generally only take a couple of hundred to Aberdeen, never mind Iceland or Albania. 

100% this.

56 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I'm not so sure. We play Aberdeen every season , its not a big deal. Playing in Europe for the first time in 37 years is.

i was a bit unclear about the parent / child section of the ballot as my reading of this was for under 12s only, so my son, who is 12 in July, would need to put in a separate entry and he could be successful and i wouldnt be, which would effectively mean we'd have to hand his ticket back as he couldnt go to Albania on his own? That seems crazy unless i've picked it up wrong?

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I suspect actual demand will be nowhere near what people are expecting once the location is confirmed and excruciatingly high travel costs become a reality.

Edited by mcginns

The Club is in a no-win situation at the moment. They will only have seven days to organise the team's flights, transfers and accommodation. Then look at the fan situation.

Valur's stadium has a capacity of only 999 so there won't be many Away tickets available. Albania should be OK for Away.

The Club are trying to put in place a system where fhey can get tickets out quickly and there is a 50% chance of very few tickets. And very little time to receive the tickets from the host club and get them distributed.

42 minutes ago, mcginns said:

I suspect actual demand will be nowhere near what people are expecting once the location is confirmed and excruciatingly high travel costs become a reality.

This.

I was determined I'd be going, no matter the cost, as I can't make the next round, if we were to get there.

However, after having looked at the potential cost and the circuitous route to Albania, I've binned any idea of going.

Iceland flights look to be extortionate and that's before accommodation and beer costs.

As much as it pains me, I've decided I have better things to spend money on.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

This.

I was determined I'd be going, no matter the cost, as I can't make the next round, if we were to get there.

However, after having looked at the potential cost and the circuitous route to Albania, I've binned any idea of going.

Iceland flights look to be extortionate and that's before accommodation and beer costs.

As much as it pains me, I've decided I have better things to spend money on.

Totally get that. I was fortunate in that i was able to do a bit of extra work on the side and the proceeds will pay for this, without that i might not be considering it either. 

But...its the first time in 37 years, and if we have to wait another 37 years i'll be either dead or pishing myself in a nursing home, so i'm going to do my best to get there on the basis we've no idea when we'll get the chance again.

50 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Totally get that. I was fortunate in that i was able to do a bit of extra work on the side and the proceeds will pay for this, without that i might not be considering it either. 

But...its the first time in 37 years, and if we have to wait another 37 years i'll be either dead or pishing myself in a nursing home, so i'm going to do my best to get there on the basis we've no idea when we'll get the chance again.

I've got the funds. It's just that I'm not prepared to shell out that amount of money to watch a football match.

I can absolutely also see your point too.