The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

Edinburgh City have just taken Kieran Offord on a year long loan.  Any thoughts on him? (I appreciate he’s still young and not played much)

Good signing for City. Bags of pace but a bit raw. Will get amongst the goals at that level. 

18 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

Edinburgh City have just taken Kieran Offord on a year long loan.  Any thoughts on him? (I appreciate he’s still young and not played much)

A good talent, but pretty raw. He did very well at East Stirling in the Lowland League, with an impressive goal return.

From what I've seen of him over the pre-season he looks to have packed on a bit of muscle too, so I can see him doing well in League 1. His stint at Alloa wasn't exactly spectacular but I think he did ok. Robinson clearly likes him and has big hopes for him.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

56 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

1 game with Carson shown to be at fault then.

I think the guy is an arsehole for the way he's (allegedly) behaved and good riddance if that's all true, but a single example is hardly 'a few howlers'. If you show me an example of a goalkeeper who's never chucked one in for St Mirren, you'd be making up a player who's quite frankly never existed. 

12 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

1 game with Carson shown to be at fault then.

I think the guy is an arsehole for the way he's (allegedly) behaved and good riddance if that's all true, but a single example is hardly 'a few howlers'. If you show me an example of a goalkeeper who's never chucked one in for St Mirren, you'd be making up a player who's quite frankly never existed. 

Totally agree with every you’ve said.

I kinda posted this because certain Saints fans are not happy with signing Hemming because he was terrible last season.

Yet Hemming was dropped early in the season for much less than Carson’s “howlers” here”

55 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Does anyone know if any players have gone out on loan...?

Gilmarton to East Kilbride. Offord to Edinburgh City and Taylor to Ballymena just announced away on loan too.

Edited by medals

3 hours ago, elvis said:

I'm sorry but that's my opinion I would love to be proved wrong and we end up having a great season but away from home we were and still are terrible and the 2 boys upfront won't cut it either once they come up against premier opposition they will be found to be wanting big time .

What is a great season for St. Mirren in your opinion?

So we are sitting at about 22 players in the 1st team squad.

We are expecting a LWB, a CF and possibly a GK or is that Lennon?

Then is it only if players leave or will we sign a creative midfielder.?

If so 26 would be a deeper squad that previously, and with better options.

Of course Ayunga is out for a chunk and that is why we are looking atbthe additional CF.

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Top six at least .

Top6 at least - Fairy Nuff.

The OF are "out of our league" over 38 games and Aberdeen/Hertz/Hibs all have substantially bigger budgets than us so one of them has to significantly underperform for us to finish above them - last season's 6th was best of the rest and a significant achievement which got one monkey of our back, 10th or above should be considered par for us.

As @medals said the cups have to be factored in - it may be unfair but I think qualifying from the LC Qualifying section and not going out to a lower league club in the knockout stages of either should be our benchmark.

Overall last season was a success for us and can only be bettered this time by a cup win or qualifying for Europe.

38 minutes ago, medals said:

So we are sitting at about 22 players in the 1st team squad.

We are expecting a LWB, a CF and possibly a GK or is that Lennon?

Then is it only if players leave or will we sign a creative midfielder.?

If so 26 would be a deeper squad that previously, and with better options.

Of course Ayunga is out for a chunk and that is why we are looking atbthe additional CF.

Can't see us bringing in another goalie. Hemming was signed as No1 even with Carson here. We carried just Carson and Urminsky last season

7 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Can't see us bringing in another goalie. Hemming was signed as No1 even with Carson here. We carried just Carson and Urminsky last season

I think the worry is if Urminsky has to step in. Bringing a 3rd goalie in would let Urminsky go out on loan to get game time and Hemming and another goalie compete for the number 1 spot. The real test for Hemming starts on Sunday

Just now, Mac28 said:

I think the worry is if Urminsky has to step in. Bringing a 3rd goalie in would let Urminsky go out on loan to get game time and Hemming and another goalie compete for the number 1 spot. The real test for Hemming starts on Sunday

Why would bringing in Urminsky be such a worry for you ?