The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The only St Mirren cup winning legend I can think of who got dug’s abuse was daft Fergie after the 1987 win, when he joined Deadco. I don’t think anyone bothers about that now, and he’s just remembered for what he did in that cup run - and boy, it was a lot. If only we had someone these days who the Ibrox Tribute Act would pay something approaching a million quid for, after they had helped us win our fourth Scottish Cup - I’d drive them to Govan myself. 😁

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The only St Mirren cup winning legend I can think of who got dug’s abuse was daft Fergie after the 1987 win, when he joined Deadco. I don’t think anyone bothers about that now, and he’s just remembered for what he did in that cup run - and boy, it was a lot. If only we had someone these days who the Ibrox Tribute Act would pay something approaching a million quid for, after they had helped us win our fourth Scottish Cup - I’d drive them to Govan myself. 😁

Thinking about it, Goodwin got a shit reception after jumping to Aberdeen. Was he not a bit surprised/disappointed with the reaction he got? In my mind, Goodwin the player: legend. Goodwin the manager: f**k him.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thinking about it, Goodwin got a shit reception after jumping to Aberdeen. Was he not a bit surprised/disappointed with the reaction he got? In my mind, Goodwin the player: legend. Goodwin the manager: f**k him.

I can’t imagine he would have been surprised in any way. Cormack flashed his drawers and Jim jumped ship just before a cup quarter final at Hearts, and just as we were (finally) on a decent run and eyeing Top 6? Nah, can’t imagine for one minute Jim would have expected anything other than GTF. Like Fergie though, in time, it’ll be all about Goodwin the player, the cup winning captain. I mean, it’s hard to remember any Aberdeen manager these days, there’s so many.

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye he was somehow shocked that he got a bad reception - the guy is a total banger.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Now can we improve our youth further? Maybe some lethal young strikers and scoring midfielders. 

On 20/06/2024 at 15:35, NorthBank said:

Never mind coaching youths, get in about the missus and make some more McGinns, we’re running low.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

So, this Strain guy, any guid?

When he's fit he's superb , but very injury prone and tends not to last 90 mins when he does start.

Absolutely fantastic delivery. Not sure what formation you guys play but I imagine Strain would only work as a Wing Back in a back 5. Fantastic going forward but lacks a bit of pace defensively. Would imagine he could be a bit of a bomb scare in a back 4. 

Fitness definitely a worry. Usually starts flagging about the 60-70 minute mark. 

11 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

So, this Strain guy, any guid?

Better going forward than defending. His attacking play is very good, deliveries are excellent and also has a good free kick on him. However, he does have fitness issues as others have said and can struggle against pace. Can only really play as a wing back, not defensively sound enough to play right back, so i guess you'll be playing 3-5-2 next season.

I think when Strain didnt sign for us he may have had ambitions to go to a decent League 1 side in England but i guess those fitness issues may have put them off.

Would have been delighted if Strain had signed a new deal with us so can't deny it's a great signing for United. Wild to think where he and Baccus have ended up, thought they'd both get a decent League One gig at the least.

There probably are issues with Strain's fitness - stamina rather than injuries as I think he only had one long-term injury with us - but I guess that's partly why he ended up with us in the first place. Most guys a club at our level signs are damaged goods in one way or another, be it fitness, consistency etc.

Love the United website mentioning he played youth football alongside Grealish as if that's relevant - don't think that's been mentioned before so the tabloid journos will be delighted it's brought up as it'll give them something new to ask him about.

25 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Better going forward than defending. His attacking play is very good, deliveries are excellent and also has a good free kick on him. However, he does have fitness issues as others have said and can struggle against pace. Can only really play as a wing back, not defensively sound enough to play right back, so i guess you'll be playing 3-5-2 next season.

I think when Strain didnt sign for us he may have had ambitions to go to a decent League 1 side in England but i guess those fitness issues may have put them off.

Plus the contract offer was withdrawn when he came back from injury far heavier than previous, with Robinson apparently raging at his condition !

27 minutes ago, billyg said:

Plus the contract offer was withdrawn when he came back from injury far heavier than previous, with Robinson apparently raging at his condition !

Didnt realise that, though i was shocked at how poor he was on one of his comeback games (possibly Motherwell away) when he was absolutely skinned and looked like a guy turning up for fives after a night on the swally.