The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I trust the gaffer to get it right. We have an experienced manager who has got us punching above our weight and will do so again.

St Mirren manager Stephen Robinson: "There weren't enough people who took responsibility. 

Hearts didn't have to beat as we beat ourselves. 

"We lose possession of the ball for the first goal. When we're in control, in good possession of it, we lose it too easily and then from there, we didn't respond to that. 

"We made stupid decisions, poor decisions.

"So, poor decision-making all around and not enough people stood up to be counted and take responsibility, and that's not acceptable. 

"The performance is not acceptable and it's on me, arguably one of the worst performances or the worst performance since I've been here, and it's not acceptable.

"It's been the way the last eight or nine games. 

"Make no mistake that people think we should be a top-six side. 

"No, we shouldn't, we haven't earned the right for that. We need to go back to basics. We're not defending well enough. We're not putting our heads and feet in where it matters to win tackles. We're not playing the ball forward when we should play it forward and taking responsibility."

Is he cracking?

Don't often see him throwing the players under the bus like that.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Is he cracking?

No, I just think he is laying down a marker. 

He has supported them really well but at some point he had to tell them publicly that this isn't acceptable. If he singled anyone out then I would say maybe. 

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You will struggle to find much negativity at his contract extension. Has been a  great signing. 

Good he got a further 3 years, never good enough to lock down a first team place at Killie.

Just now, KTID26 said:

Funnily enough Brad Lyons has yet to play in a Killie team that lost to St Mirren.

I think that can be said about a lot of Killie players.

However he was rotten with us.

2 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Following the home game against Brann I thought we had an excellent gk. Since then I’ve been concerned at his inability to deal with high balls and he looks like he has a mistake in him. 

Like many players in our squad confidence is low. So many of our better players in recent seasons have either been injured or in poor form.

All it takes is a change in fortunes. We need to try and find a way to get some points on the board. A draw next week followed by two wins could lift us away from trouble. However it also continue to be a problem. 

Let’s not forget two seasons ago Dundee United were relegated following a disappointing loss in Europe.

Last season Hibs and Aberdeen finished bottom 6 following European games. 

Our squad clearly did not have enough depth to deal with Europe, injuries, suspensions, off field shenanigans etc. 

Losing players like Baccus, Strain, Bolton and Hemming was not ideal. The assistant manager moving on has been a loss I’m sure.

All the other 3 clubs listed had much bigger resources than us and all suffered a European hangover.

Let’s all try and get behind the players and staff and support the club through this difficult period.

Things could be worse……after all think of those poor Morten fans.

Just now, Molotov said:

Let’s not forget two seasons ago Dundee United were relegated following a disappointing loss in Europe.

Our squad clearly did not have enough depth to deal with Europe, injuries, suspensions, off field shenanigans etc. 

Losing players like Baccus, Strain, Bolton and Hemming was not ideal. The assistant manager moving on has been a loss I’m sure.

All the other 3 clubs listed had much bigger resources than us and all suffered a European hangover.

Let’s all try and get behind the players and staff and support the club through this difficult period.

I fully expected to lose today, as per my posts in the match thread.

I think our chance of getting anything at Ibrox is about 2%.

However, we should be looking to take 4 points from the games v St. Johnstone and Ross County, minimum. Those are massive fixtures. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Is he cracking?

We've put in several performances now this season that have had absolutely no redeeming features. This is certainly the most pressure he's been under since the first half season after he took over from Goodwin: at least then he had the 'not my squad' excuse.

It'd be absolutely nuts to ignore the extenuating circumstances: Rooney turning out to be a total fud (I was surprised as well), and the abysmal luck with injuries to important players.

But at the same time, that shouldn't result in the absolute shapeless, shitebag performances we've seen, with players losing the ability to pass or hold the ball up or cross the thing even vaguely closely to one of our players.

People 'praise' our organisation and our physicality, but sometimes that's all we bring. And we've not really been that organised either.

There's also the point that's been made by folk on here that perhaps we've been found out somewhat, tactically. That could well be true, but if our Plan A works well, then it doesn't really matter what the opposition do because you harry the f**k out of them, go over them, and they can't do much about it

Sadly Plan A (3-4-3) is out the window because of injuries, plan B (3-5-2) s gubbed (no capable RWB) and plan C, with a back four, is laughably bad.

I think this is getting worse before January, tbh.

Edited by Coventry Saint

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

He's not had much luck the manager and you can see that he's very frustrated. By all accounts, Bolton wanting to leave was out of the blue then his replacement (Iacovitti) picks up a long term injury. Can't legislate for Rooney and you've got a couple of key forward players in Kiltie and McMenamin missing the first quarter of the season.

Things could be worse, yeah. Well actually they've never been better if you're below a certain age! Highest league finish in 39 years and European football for the first time in 37 years. The points reset every August though and fans are fickle nowadays.

19 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I fully expected to lose today, as per my posts in the match thread.

I think our chance of getting anything at Ibrox is about 2%.

However, we should be looking to take 4 points from the games v St. Johnstone and Ross County, minimum. Those are massive fixtures. 

Said the same on the way back from the game today. 

4pts minimum from our next 2 home games.

Robbo needs to find a way of getting a tune out of that squad.