The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the goal/assist stats.  They don't tell the whole story, but if it were to be a 4 month loan deal as has been suggested, I do wonder what kind of impact he could have.

Edited by Drooper

3 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the goal/assist stats.  They don't tell the whole story, but if it were to ne a 4 month loan deal as has been suggested, I do wonder what kind of impact he could have.

A goal every 160 mins at Championship level for Cardiff is decent.

He never got a sniff in Turkey. 17 appearances for a very decent Konyaspor side but no starts and an average of about 12 minutes per appearance.

Before injuring his knee ligaments...another box ticked in Robinson bingo

32 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the goal/assist stats.  They don't tell the whole story, but if it were to be a 4 month loan deal as has been suggested, I do wonder what kind of impact he could have.

On the other hand though, a 4 month loan could suit us. Gives Ayunga time to get fit and up to speed.

Or, assuming he's surplus to requirements, we'll maybe be able to make it permanent after 4 months if he does well. If he doesn't do well, then he goes back.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I liked him at Hearts. Had to look him up there to see where he's been since, can't believe he's only 28. I'd assumed he was about that age when he played for Hearts.

I'd be happy enough if we signed him.

Always thought he was a decent player at Hearts. 

Would not be opposed to signing him although a loan deal would bd disappointing. 

7 hours ago, AW saint said:

Always thought he was a decent player at Hearts. 

Would not be opposed to signing him although a loan deal would bd disappointing. 

Looking through his history, the guy is 28 and played for more than a dozen clubs - admittedly a lot of short loan spells in the early part of his career - which is the only thing that puts me off. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

7tjdv8.gif.4be10e12dc1fd4963ea671a0a30163f6.gif

One of the only times I’ve ever laughed out loud at a football match, that was glorious. 

As for Ikpeazu, he’s a handful in the same mould as Nouble is. I’d say that he’d be a decent signing for most of the teams in the league, even if he does look like Bambi on ice half the time. He’s ironically, after that clip got decent feet from what I remember. I’m sure the Hearts fans will be along soon. 

IIRC, Jack Ross tried to sign him for the Saints but we lost out to Hearts. He had some good games for the Jambos but I never felt they got the best out of him. Maybe Robbo would, and it would only be a short term gamble.

31 minutes ago, Widge said:

One of the only times I’ve ever laughed out loud at a football match, that was glorious. 

As for Ikpeazu, he’s a handful in the same mould as Nouble is. I’d say that he’d be a decent signing for most of the teams in the league, even if he does look like Bambi on ice half the time. He’s ironically, after that clip got decent feet from what I remember. I’m sure the Hearts fans will be along soon. 

Yeah, he's a bit of a donkey but he can be effective if used properly. He probably suits a team like St Mirren/St Johnstone/Livi more than he suits Hearts.

If it is Ikpeazu, unless it's a pay as you play deal that fits into our budget, I really do not see the benefit in bringing him to Paisley.

Edited by Ric

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

If it is Ikpeazu, unless it's a pay as you play deal that fits into our budger, I really do not see the benefit in bringing him to Paisley.

Wouldn't that be the case regardless of who this mystery forward actually is. It's not who it proves to be it's the fact it's another forward when it looks like we require cover elsewhere, particularly RWB.

For more years than I care to remember we’ve been a graveyard for strikers. At last we have a manager who wants to address this problem.

What do we get, fans moaning about cover at left back and midfield, trust the man to deliver it’s still fucking July.

I imagine either Strapp or Marshall will sign.

With Tanser fit again there is no immediate rush but we will definitely bring in another LWB.

I think most of us would like to see another centre half and a creative midfielder in the squad but sounds like we will need to wait until Baccus and/or Carson move on before we see any more new faces.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

If it is Ikpeazu, unless it's a pay as you play deal that fits into our budger, I really do not see the benefit in bringing him to Paisley.

Robinson has addressed why another forward benefits us at this moment in time.

Do I agree with it? Well no in terms of a short term loan but then I don't like short term loans in general. I am not a fan of giving another team's player regular first team minutes if the sole purpose is for them to go back a fitter, oven ready option for them.

Do I think Ikpeazu though would be an asset? I do actually but I'd much rather it was permanent or a loan with realistic option to make it so.

Also, Pay as you Play is the biggest myth in world football. I can't think of a single player in Scottish football in last 30 years who has agreed to a PAYP deal and that definitely wouldn't be the case for a loan.