The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, btb said:

IIRC Andy Millen's last game for Saints he was subbed early as his legs were no longer up to it.

Yeh, I thought that was Millen’s last game and Dorman scored in the first game.

Must have been 2008 then? We were in the First Division in 2006 and Dorman wasn’t with us in our first season back up?

33 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Yeh, I thought that was Millen’s last game and Dorman scored in the first game.

Must have been 2008 then? We were in the First Division in 2006 and Dorman wasn’t with us in our first season back up?

It was 07/08, aye. The year after our "Gretna season".

Dorman scored at McDiarmid then we obliterated you in the replay within the first half.

8 hours ago, Mac28 said:

Did I miss something when the Queen died and we got a new ruler?

“Bolton told the Paisley Daily Express: “It was an easy decision to make. I had a long conversation with the manager, he told me all about the club and the city.“

Have we finally received city status? When did that happen? 😂 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Obviously hope Bolton does very well, but everything about that interview suggests he's here for the season and will be heading back down south if he gets fit/into form again.

:lol:

It totally does doesn't it? I expected all the cliches and we got them, I particularly liked the "I've not done a full pre season, but I back myself" comment.

I mean, obvs, we all want him to do well, but honestly... I reckon we could get 8-10 games out of the lad over an injury laden season. It has all the hallmarks, imo.

9 hours ago, Mac28 said:

Love_Street_Stadium_Paisley_Scotland.thumb.jpg.295ff8c99d16b09a39f6c9fb1b3e7713.jpg

Cracking pic on wikipedia. Had the pleasure of attending a few games there

That is a great photo need to get it down loaded. Emotional for years used to go with my father and three brothers. We would go to the station bar then down to Love Street. Sadly all are passed away but seeing that photo especially full stadium view brings back so many memories. 

I don't know whether to be worried or not regarding the fact that McMenamin hasn't been mentioned in the injury talk, nor has he appeared in any of the recent squads.

If he doesn't feature today, it might indicate a long term injury.

Fingers crossed he's in the squad today.

46 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I don't know whether to be worried or not regarding the fact that McMenamin hasn't been mentioned in the injury talk, nor has he appeared in any of the recent squads.

If he doesn't feature today, it might indicate a long term injury.

Fingers crossed he's in the squad today.

McMenamin is in the squad for todays game 👍

On the subject of Bolton, I’ve no problem at all with a 1 year contract.

By all accounts of it wasn’t for his injury problems he’d probably be playing in the English Championship this coming season, earning multiple times what he’ll be getting from us.

Hopefully those injury issues are behind him and he has a stellar season for us. If that paves the way for him going back down South then all fair and good in my book!

I’ve very high hopes that he could be a diamond.

7 minutes ago, Div said:

By all accounts of it wasn’t for his injury problems he’d probably be playing in the English Championship this coming season, earning multiple times what he’ll be getting from us.

Hopefully those injury issues are behind him and he has a stellar season for us. If that paves the way for him going back down South then all fair and good in my book!

What time should I expect P&B to go down today?

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah, a Shrewsbury fan I spoke to gave a very glowing report as well. The big caveat of course is that he's spent a large part of the last two seasons injured. I think from that point of view one year is enough. If he has a great injury free season and immediately leaves back to England, then at least we got something out him. If it doesn't work out we haven't lost too much.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You would have been nowhere near first. I once watched a Dundee Utd fan go fully head first down the entire stand when they scored against us in the cup and get up and bounce about like nothing happened. He must have been steaming and could probably barely walk next day.

It was honestly one of, if not the best stand in Scottish football for views in the brief time it was with us (around 15 years all on). It was also unique with the stairwell bolted on the side of the stand. I was probably in it about 4 or 5 times total for games and it was utterly terrifying in a good way.

Plus, when at its peak, it had indoor five a side pitches, a gym, and a decent ‘function suite’ lounge/bar area. Four modern versions of it parked around the Love Street pitch would have been something else. At the time the BoD worked our passage to FeegieField though, the main stand at LS was falling apart, the Love Street end stand was a pretty much unloved wind tunnel, and the North Bank was an old tin roof relic. Much loved as it was. Haven’t mentioned the debt the club had either. No club BoD is perfect, but looking at the past twelve years or so, the move has, I think, proven to have been the right thing. Too bad the Saudi PIF wasn’t sniffing around back then though. I looked, but I never saw anyone in traditional dress downing a pre-match non-alcoholic shandy in the Wee Barrel before checking us out for a takeover. 😜

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If Bolton is a stand out and fit. Offer him a longer contract during the season. That way we get money for him

We can offer him all we like, sadly he doesn't have to sign anything.

Sounds like he'll be another one to enjoy whilst he is here type player, if he stays fit.

Definitely sounds like an upgrade on Gallagher though.

19 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We can offer him all we like, sadly he doesn't have to sign anything.

Sounds like he'll be another one to enjoy whilst he is here type player, if he stays fit.

Definitely sounds like an upgrade on Gallagher though.

You never know. I'd imagine with the injury issues that have plagued the guy for the last two seasons, a year is definitely in the best interests of both player and club currently.

He may enjoy his time up here and extend but it's the correct course of action to just commit to a year for now. I'd imagine that we'd have probably preferred a year with a years option at club's refusal but understand a player in Bolton's position not being too keen on that just now.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Obviously hope Bolton does very well, but everything about that interview suggests he's here for the season and will be heading back down south if he gets fit/into form again.

I agree to a certain extent but its a win win inmo. He will be looking to put on a show to be in the shop window. isn't beadu out of contract next season? Mabe we could be getting him on a pre in jan for next season?

25 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

P&B Quiz Thread is full of Buddies.

Seem a bright bunch of chaps bunch of cheating c***s.

I'm expecting a ban for at least 24 hrs if things go wrong for yuoz today.

I fully expect things to go wrong for us today. That’s my default position every single game. Anything else is a bonus!