The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

See just for once, I’d love to see a manager say..”I’ve started a job here and I want to finish it. I’m not going to be like snow aff a dyke because some slightly bigger basket case of a club has flashed their skants at me. I’ve loved it here and I’ll move on when the job is done”. Is that really too much to ask?

I agree with this, entirely depending on the club flashing their skants. Jack Ross and Sunderland I understood completely. Up here, and I said this in regard to Aberdeen and Jim Goodwin too - just what are the expectations and demands at Aberdeen and Hibs these days? What is the remit that doesn’t see you pumped and maybe looking at being back selling confectionery for a living? There is fcuk-all between Aberdeen and Hibs and much of this league these days. I understand they are bigger clubs, but unless Robbo’ is totally swayed by (making this up just as a point) £75k p.a. at St Mirren, and £100k p.a. at Hibs, then why leave for them? Split the OF? Finish 3rd? Win the Scottish Cup? Make sure you get us into Europe and when there, don’t get Aston Villa-ed? Is that what he would need to achieve? With that fcuking squad and the window shutting?

If he goes there he’ll be the next Glass, Johnson, Goodwin… in two seasons max, as once more Hibs and Aberdeen are part of a pack. He should stay here and keep it going until a Sunderland or Norwich or Leeds flashes their crinoline.

Edited by pozbaird

12 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yeah that’s not really what I meant. I more meant that I’d love to see a manager (when he’s at a club and in a job he clearly loves) to back himself and his team NOT to go on that 6 game losing run. 

Well he can't control injuries and doesn't have the budget to cover all possibilities so he'd be much better off backing himself to do well on double the salary at a bigger club with better resources. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I agree with this, entirely depending on the club flashing their skants. Jack Ross and Sunderland I understood completely. Up here, and I said this in regard to Aberdeen and Jim Goodwin too - just what are the expectations and demands at Aberdeen and Hibs these days? What is the remit that doesn’t see you pumped and maybe looking at being back selling confectionery for a living? There is fcuk-all between Aberdeen and Hibs and much of this league these days. I understand they are bigger clubs, but unless Robbo’ is totally swayed by (making this up just as a point) £75k p.a. at St Mirren, and £100k p.a. at Hibs, then why leave for them? Split the OF? Finish 3rd? Win the Scottish Cup? Make sure you get us into Europe and when there, don’t get Aston Villa-ed? Is that what he would need to achieve? With that fcuking squad and the window shutting?

Should stay here and keep it going until a Sunderland or Norwich or Leeds flashes their crinolene.

I agree with some of this but think there's a bit of wishful thinking here. Let's say your salary figures are fairly accurate, that's a 33% increase on his income. There aren't many people that would turn that down.

Secondly, it's a much more high profile job. The Hibs manager gets to work with a bigger squad, can attract more high profile players etc. More sports science exposure and so on. The chances of moving to the English Championship are increased if you do well at a club like Hibs. To go from St Mirren to any of those clubs is unlikely, albeit not impossible. 

His stock is high right now, let's say he gets offered the Hibs job and declines. In 6 months we might have had a really poor run of form and the next bigger job he is overlooked for.

Based on that, I think almost every manager in his position would take that job.

There is a massive but though, and that's that Hibs go through more managers than any other team in the league. If he joins there and has a similar start to what he had at St Mirren he'll be punted before the split. That said, he'd probably be able to pick up another job at the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone etc when it comes around.

Jim McLean, Alex Ferguson and, in France, Guy Roux (over forty years at Auxerre), all turned down bigger clubs to build something of substance. Whilst I would love a Saints boss to stay and build something of note in Paisley, it seems to be a forlorn hope. I just don’t want to hear any manager departing after 1 or 2 years saying that they have taken the club as far as they could. That’s just nonsense. If they want more money, a higher profile and more pressure, that’s different…

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I agree with some of this but think there's a bit of wishful thinking here. Let's say your salary figures are fairly accurate, that's a 33% increase on his income. There aren't many people that would turn that down.

Secondly, it's a much more high profile job. The Hibs manager gets to work with a bigger squad, can attract more high profile players etc. More sports science exposure and so on. The chances of moving to the English Championship are increased if you do well at a club like Hibs. To go from St Mirren to any of those clubs is unlikely, albeit not impossible. 

His stock is high right now, let's say he gets offered the Hibs job and declines. In 6 months we might have had a really poor run of form and the next bigger job he is overlooked for.

Based on that, I think almost every manager in his position would take that job.

There is a massive but though, and that's that Hibs go through more managers than any other team in the league. If he joins there and has a similar start to what he had at St Mirren he'll be punted before the split. That said, he'd probably be able to pick up another job at the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone etc when it comes around.

I’m not so sure that doing well at St Mirren would see you overlooked for any bigger gig in the UK - below EPL level. Same goes for players. Baccus and Strain are the latest attracting plaudits, attention, and international recognition. In a similar fashion, Alex Neil caught the eye at Accies and has forged a well-paying career without having to jump ship to basket case clubs up here like Hibs first.

Just now, pozbaird said:

I’m not so sure that doing well at St Mirren would see you overlooked for any bigger gig in the UK - below EPL level. Same goes for players. Baccus and Strain are the latest attracting plaudits, attention, and international recognition. In a similar fashion, Alex Neil caught the eye at Accies and has forged a well-paying career without having to jump ship to basket case clubs up here like Hibs first.

I hope you're right and Alex Neil is a good example. To be honest we could probably name more managers that have gone from smaller clubs (Neil, Coyle, Ross, McInnes) to decent clubs in England, than have gone from Hibs.

I still don't think that changes the fact,  that being a success at Hibs opens more doors than being a success at St Mirren. The tricky bit is, how do you become a success at Hibs when you'll likely get the bullet after a bad run.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Robinson has said it himself that finishing 3rd at Motherwell didn’t open the doors he thought it would down south so I can see why a move to Hibs would interest him.

I don’t think good clubs in England really care about what happens manager wise outside the top 5 teams in our league, it’s just the way they (wrongly) look down on our game.

I think Alex Neil was different - he was a 33 year old guy on a proper shoestring budget and I’m sure he had Accies in serious contention for 3rd place when he left

Edited by SS77

All about opinions of course, and mine is exactly as it was when Cormack flashed his panties at Goodwin after half-a-dozen good results with St Mirren. If, and it obviously is just an ‘if’, Robinson goes to Hibs, he’ll be emptied within two seasons and will merely join the list of emptied Hibs managers. There will be no-one from down South knocking on his door, he may well then pick up a gig like Goodwin and reset. Anyone, everyone, feel free to bookmark this should Robinson end up at Hibernian.

Jim Goodwin was on a zoom call Q&A with SMiSA members and someone asked him about the vacant Aberdeen job and he said he had no interest and was building something special in Paisley.

3 days later he had the red and white scarf above his head 😂

Its a fickle game, I don’t blame any manager for taking as much money as he can get when times are good.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

If he goes there he’ll be the next Glass, Johnson, Goodwin… in two seasons max, as once more Hibs and Aberdeen are part of a pack. He should stay here and keep it going until a Sunderland or Norwich or Leeds flashes their crinoline.

Exactly my point 👍

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Completely disagree with the bolded part of your post mate. 

11 minutes ago, Div said:

Jim Goodwin was on a zoom call Q&A with SMiSA members and someone asked him about the vacant Aberdeen job and he said he had no interest and was building something special in Paisley.

3 days later he had the red and white scarf above his head 😂

It’s a fickle game, I don’t blame any manager for taking as much money as he can get when times are good.

Goodwin couldn’t get out the door fast enough

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What bits are wrong? It isn't all wrong, sadly. They typically do have bigger squads, for instance, so it's hard to "completely disagree" with what he's saying because it isn't 100% inaccurate.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hibs are objectively a bigger club than St Mirren. I would say they're undoubtedly at least the fifth biggest club in the country. They have a bigger stadium, more fans and a bigger playing budget. I would suggest that's why we have haemorrhaged so many players there. If Robinson was to go there he would be paid more.

I would suggest the Hibs job is a poisoned chalice and that is how I hope Robinson sees it.