The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

27 minutes ago, callum-g said:

How do you work that out ?    

25 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed since even if we win both, if Kilmarnock win their next 2 they'll still be above us.

I guess he’s assuming Kilmarnock won’t win at Parkhead. 

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed since even if we win both, if Kilmarnock win their next 2 they'll still be above us.

I think he's working on the assumption that as Killie go to Parkhead the game after next they are unlikely to win.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I think he's working on the assumption that as Killie go to Parkhead the game after next they are unlikely to win.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I guess he’s assuming Kilmarnock won’t win at Parkhead. 

If that’s the case, Someone should remind him that Killie have beaten Celtic TWICE this season - nothing should be taken for granted.

3 hours ago, callum-g said:

How do you work that out ?    

Killie play Livi then Celtic... pretty unlikely that they will take 6 points and they are only 1 point in front of us. Even if they get 4 points, if we win both games we go in front of them.

No guarantees but my premise is based on us winning the next 2 games. Do you think Killie will win their 2 next fixtures?

Edited by medals

Kwon and CBM should start against Dundee. We cant use Kwon against Celtic so we will need Baccus fully rested and on top form. If O'Hara is suffering with a niggle we shoudl just rest him while we can aswell

55 minutes ago, callum-g said:

If that’s the case, Someone should remind him that Killie have beaten Celtic TWICE this season - nothing should be taken for 

If you think that means they'll managed it 3 in a row you should put money on it.

I would not be surprised if they don't even beat Livi.

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Which players are costing a significant outlay?

I'll give you some time to concoct an answer.

Carson, big Joe, Main, 

Are all over paid and this other lot won't be cheap either :-

Ashcroft, Lambie, McGhee, McCowan, Boating, Bakayoko, Robinson, Beck, Legzdins.

I believe your also carrying a few more 1st team players than us and have a number out on loan that your still paying part wages for.

Your 1st team squad budget must be a good bit higher than ours.

Edited by medals

39 minutes ago, medals said:

Carson, big Joe, Main, 

Are all over paid

Show your workings, please.

40 minutes ago, medals said:

lots won't be cheap either :-

Ashcroft, McGhee, McCowan

:lol:

I see now you have no idea what you're talking about.

1 hour ago, medals said:

If you think that means they'll managed it 3 in a row you should put money on it.

I would not be surprised if they don't even beat Livi.

Go have a look at your post , you present it as fact that we will go 4th if we win our next two games , this simply isn’t true, it’s probable but not fact .
Although Celtic will be favourites to take the points from Killie, absolutely nothing is certain . Who would have thought Killie could have done the double over them this season ? 

Edited by callum-g

27 minutes ago, callum-g said:

Go have a look at your post , you present it as fact that we will go 4th if we win our next two games , this simply isn’t true, it’s probable but not fact .
Although Celtic will be favourites to take the points from Killie, absolutely nothing is certain . Who would have thought Killie could have done the double over them this season ? 

Not just that, but it's the kind of thing that happens to us when we do take things like that for granted.

20 minutes ago, callum-g said:

I take your point but logically I cannot mean it as fact. Its an optimistic hope: its something to aim for.

Please don't presume I am claiming it literally, even though I ought to have worded it better.

The big deal is if we win both league games we will pull away from rivals and most likely move into 4th. I was speculating.

Ps. Killie have taken 50% points 9 from 18 over the last 6 of their matches. We have taken less but the next 4 for us are reasonably winable while they have a tougher run.

Feel the Dundee fans on this thread currently might cut any cynics who think they might be up to their old financial tricks some slack. It wouldn't be the first, or second, time, now, would it?

(All our clubs have been on their arses at one time or another, of course, but there are a few repeat offenders).

16 hours ago, AW saint said:

We need to give Goga whatever it takes to sign a new deal. 

Highest earner at the club. Would most likely need to offer him higher to stay (if he wants to stay), since his performances have been absolutely solid since day 1.

I'd hope the only reason he moved on was to be closer to home or a last big pay day.

If we make one of those top 5 places this season, it may well be a deal breaker for next, and the fact he is getting international recognition whilst playing with us shows you don't need to be playing for one of the top clubs in the country.

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

Highest earner at the club. Would most likely need to offer him higher to stay (if he wants to stay), since his performances have been absolutely solid since day 1.

I'd hope the only reason he moved on was to be closer to home or a last big pay day.

If we make one of those top 5 places this season, it may well be a deal breaker for next, and the fact he is getting international recognition whilst playing with us shows you don't need to be playing for one of the top clubs in the country.

It would be a big blow to lose him. I guess the fact it didn't work out for him at Hibs might mean that the bigger Scottish clubs might look elsewhere. That said, it seems Dundee and Kilmarnock are offering more money than us, so they might make a move.

I think a team in league 1 ib England, or somewhere abroad might be the most likely. As you say, he's earned a salary bump and if he needs to move down south or abroad for that then I certainly wouldn't hold it against him.

38 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

It would be a big blow to lose him. I guess the fact it didn't work out for him at Hibs might mean that the bigger Scottish clubs might look elsewhere. That said, it seems Dundee and Kilmarnock are offering more money than us, so they might make a move.

I think a team in league 1 ib England, or somewhere abroad might be the most likely. As you say, he's earned a salary bump and if he needs to move down south or abroad for that then I certainly wouldn't hold it against him.

We've let big earners go previously? Carson, Brophy, Gallagher, Main, Big Joe etc.

Truth is though most of them were aging and/or less likely to produce the goods week in week out.

Goga is different. Only 29. He is strong and fit. Gives 100 % every week, and can contribute at both ends of the park.

With the extra Euro money we can afford to make him a decent offer and he clearly loves it here.

He is a fans favourite for all the right reasons.

I think he'll sign on again, it's good for all parties. 

Edited by medals

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

Highest earner at the club.

Cant see you having two players on over £5k a week tbh, and would it also include free flights to Holland?