The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Any talk of booting out Goodwin is lunacy.  He's here for the long term. When he does go, it'll be on to bigger and better things.  

Not showing he can make the step up yet. 

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

No one is guarenteed safety. If results don't pick up and we continue to slide he may well be sacked

McInnes is well in the running, believe me, the next 3 games are huge for Goodwin.

6 hours ago, Torfason said:

I’m not sure McInnes would actually want the job unless he is desperate. We don’t have a great budget so the chances of making top 4 are slim, so he would at best be mid table mediocrity, hardly likely to get him another gig down south.

I hope we stick with Jim, he is far from perfect and is underperforming but he actually cares about the club, which is more than his predecessors did.

I think Goodwin is a good , honest hard working manager . Would the likes of McInnes be a good manager on a budget of a 1/4 of Aberdeen .. Give  Dick @Arbroath a tinkle  😛

I am not at the point of wanting rid of Goodwin that some appear to be.

However, I am hugely frustrated at him. He has doubled down all season so far on a tactic that just doesn't work with the players at his disposal and seems to be unwavering in his conviction to make it a success when most people can see its just not worked out.

This sort of stubbornness and refusal to adapt and change is going to be his undoing. 

We are a hard team to beat (most weeks) and have shown that all season and that's obviously a good thing but we are incredibly wasteful and lacking in forward creativity which means we also find it hard to win.

We've been getting praise on our travels for not sticking 10 men behind the ball and going out and having a go and again all fine and well so why are we excruciatingly boring and not at all impressive when given home advantage? We've scored 6 goals in 8 home games and 3 of those came in the one match. 

There are still massive questions to be asked of Goodwin as a manager. He's not perfect and I don't think any of us are implying he should be but I can't honestly say we've seen any sort of meaningful change since the first few games of the season in terms of tactics deployed or game plan. 

Huge month ahead and he has one of the hardest months you could ask for when there is a bit of restlessness. It's fine to say that it's unfair to base his fate on results against the sides we face in December but we certainly wouldn't be having this discussion if we'd mustered up more than two points and one goal at home against Dundee, Livi and County.

Edited by djchapsticks

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I am not at the point of wanting rid of Goodwin that some appear to be.

However, I am hugely frustrated at him. He has doubled down all season so far on a tactic that just doesn't work with the players at his disposal and seems to be unwavering in his conviction to make it a success when most people can see its just not worked out.

This sort of stubbornness and refusal to adapt and change is going to be his undoing. 

We are a hard team to beat (most weeks) and have shown that all season and that's obviously a good thing but we are incredibly wasteful and lacking in forward creativity which means we also find it hard to win.

We've been getting praise on our travels for not sticking 10 men behind the ball and going out and having a go and again all fine and well so why are we excruciatingly boring and not at all impressive when given home advantage? We've scored 6 goals in 8 home games and 3 of those came in the one match. 

There are still massive questions to be asked of Goodwin as a manager. He's not perfect and I don't think any of us are implying he should be but I can't honestly say we've seen any sort of meaningful change since the first few games of the season in terms of tactics deployed or game plan. 

Huge month ahead and he has one of the hardest months you could ask for when there is a bit of restlessness. It's fine to say that it's unfair to base his fate on results against the sides we face in December but we certainly wouldn't be having this discussion if we'd mustered up more than two points and one goal at home against Dundee, Livi and County.

Great post, as usual. All the relevant nails hit squarely on their heads.

I feel I have to clarify that I don't want Goodwin out. The love I have for that man is frankly a bit weird. I want him to get better; to learn from his mistakes and to be less stubborn. Our club should be a place where talented young coaches can learn their craft and grow in the game.

But that can't be at the detriment to the club. So far, it's worked out ok, but I can think of only a couple of examples of us approaching games with tactical flexibility - Parkhead the best example - aimed at beating the team in front of us.

As I said yesterday, we are currently a worse side than the sum of out parts. We are awful to watch and I don't ever feel like we are likely to score.

The biggest issue is that the failure has already happened now: those awful games against theoretical relegation rivals. In order to recover from that will require results against teams we don't typically get results against. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. 

If Ross County win their games in hand, they'd go above us (assuming we continue to lose). Imagine sitting below Malky McKay's Ross County at Christmas and still thinking we should give Goodwin time...

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Great post, as usual. All the relevant nails hit squarely on their heads.

I feel I have to clarify that I don't want Goodwin out. The love I have for that man is frankly a bit weird. I want him to get better; to learn from his mistakes and to be less stubborn. Our club should be a place where talented young coaches can learn their craft and grow in the game.

But that can't be at the detriment to the club. So far, it's worked out ok, but I can think of only a couple of examples of us approaching games with tactical flexibility - Parkhead the best example - aimed at beating the team in front of us.

As I said yesterday, we are currently a worse side than the sum of out parts. We are awful to watch and I don't ever feel like we are likely to score.

The biggest issue is that the failure has already happened now: those awful games against theoretical relegation rivals. In order to recover from that will require results against teams we don't typically get results against. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. 

If Ross County win their games in hand, they'd go above us (assuming we continue to lose). Imagine sitting below Malky McKay's Ross County at Christmas and still thinking we should give Goodwin time...

Ironically, one of the first times we went the 3 at the back route and it worked with great success.

Unfortunately he's used it as a basis for every team we've played since because it worked on Celtic.

I don't think 3 at the back is the problem. The wing back tactics are the problem. Jim plays them too far forward and keeps them too wide. They are ball watchers a lot of the time and mostly get involved from long balls from the back. And when tjey do get the ball they just blindly lump it into the middle to a small lone syriker. We bypass two talented midfielders by constantly using these long balls. And when we lose the ball the back 3 are exposed as the wing backs are too far up the pitch.

That being said we have played some great football (mostly Away from Home) this season. But the formation doesn't give us enough bodies in the box and leaves the defence overrun.

St Mirren being shite to watch at home, being amongst the UKs lowest scorers, having an unbalanced squad, playing guys out of position, being unable to hold onto a lead, persisting with a big hoof up the park, stubbornly sticking to a gameplan that doesn’t work, and having the home fans take a packet of paracetemol before every home game to get through the ninety minutes isn’t a new phenomenon under Jim Goodwin.

In fact, I think that’s the problem. Jim was a player at St Mirren for so long he has been unduly influenced by the managers who went before him.

As a members organization it would be nice if SMISA actually told us what was going on.

I don’t understand how things could have turn sour so quickly, both parties have literally been in the door 2 minutes.

I can’t help but think SMISA would be entirely blameless for this either (if the rumours are true), I’ve been thinking of cancelling for months but have just been too lazy to do so.

4 minutes ago, geo87 said:

As a members organization it would be nice if SMISA actually told us what was going on.

I don’t understand how things could have turn sour so quickly, both parties have literally been in the door 2 minutes.

I can’t help but think SMISA would be entirely blameless for this either (if the rumours are true), I’ve been thinking of cancelling for months but have just been too lazy to do so.

I voted against The Kibble getting on board.

I just had an uneasy feeling about the deal.

I think in this instance, where football is not the main focus of the company brought on board, it introduces unnecessary possibilities of friction occurring between both factions.

On the footballing side, I said at the start of the season that Goodwin would either "live or die" on his insistence on sticking with three at the back.

Whether it's the personnel or the manager's idea of how it should be set up it clearly isn't working. We're shipping goals for fun.

Out of our new signings I'd give pass marks to Power, Tanser and Ronan. With Millar showing some promise. I thought he was our best player yesterday.

The rest have been poor IMO.

18 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I've been hovering over the cancel button for a bit, mainly for financial reasons. Next few weeks could tip me over the edge.

19 minutes ago, geo87 said:

It is the easiest thing in the world to imagine friction within our football club. In my albeit limited engagement with the inner workings of St Mirren, in doing the ‘Final Chapter’ book, designing strips, doing the original Hall of Fame boards - the friction between differing parties, groups, people… fcuking unbelieveable. The internal politics? Sheesh.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I read a rumour yesterday that Kibble 'leaked' the (publicly available) John Needham tweets. I mean, cmon tae f**k... Also, Bill Gates started covid and the East Coast roofers worked together to send storm Arwen.

Them taking the legal root to remove the chairman is the biggest romours doing the rounds. SMISA is looking weak its time it was brought up with its members.  

Something isn’t right with Needham though, even pre tweet gate I didn’t like him. Can’t put my finger on it, and might be purely irrational on my part, but can’t help feel if there is stuff going on in the background he won’t be helping matters.