The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Saturday was a shambles.

I didn’t see it but apparently at around half 20 odd Aberdeen fannys tried to attack a supporters bus as they got off, wasn’t many youngsters on that bus and apparently the Aberdeen boys got talked down by a few older guys from the bus.

What I did witness was being searched at two different entry points, 1 turnstile being open and queue not moving coz they had run out of tickets (despite being pay at the gate) in the absolute pishing wind and rain. Then as soon as we entered the stadium there was a big Tammy at the top of the stairs for a good 15 mins which was statues by a steward trying to arrest a fan (which is bizarre in itself). Then a few other stewards got involved and resulted in a mass handbags of shoving and swaying. The result was one steward being led away by police who thought he was Tyson fury.

I’m sure we are as guilty of this in the way we treat fans / away fans, but Scottish football is a fuckin shambles, any other product wouldn’t treat paying customers like this, especially those who take the day at great expense and time to pay to watch that product in what is more often than not horrendous conditions. Maybe I’m just getting old, but we really don’t do ourselves any favours.

5 hours ago, geo87 said:

Saturday was a shambles.

I didn’t see it but apparently at around half 20 odd Aberdeen fannys tried to attack a supporters bus as they got off, wasn’t many youngsters on that bus and apparently the Aberdeen boys got talked down by a few older guys from the bus.

What I did witness was being searched at two different entry points, 1 turnstile being open and queue not moving coz they had run out of tickets (despite being pay at the gate) in the absolute pishing wind and rain. Then as soon as we entered the stadium there was a big Tammy at the top of the stairs for a good 15 mins which was statues by a steward trying to arrest a fan (which is bizarre in itself). Then a few other stewards got involved and resulted in a mass handbags of shoving and swaying. The result was one steward being led away by police who thought he was Tyson fury.

I’m sure we are as guilty of this in the way we treat fans / away fans, but Scottish football is a fuckin shambles, any other product wouldn’t treat paying customers like this, especially those who take the day at great expense and time to pay to watch that product in what is more often than not horrendous conditions. Maybe I’m just getting old, but we really don’t do ourselves any favours.

I’m happy to come to Paisley over Aberdeen any day. I think they’re the worst club in the league for how they treated fans prior to lockdown. Now they have more to work with, it sound like they’ve become even more intolerable.

The overall approach to supporters/customers in our supposedly top division is a disgrace.

On 07/12/2021 at 14:25, ZingaliMan said:

Dennis will now get has chance with Brophy out for the rest of the year. Will Dennis take his chance.  As for SMISA Kibble would like to hear all the facts. 

He's not got the easiest games to prove himself, to be fair - the Old Firm, Hibs and Dundee Utd away. Let's hope having been deprived of a regular place in the team has only made him more hungry, and not affected his confidence.

6 hours ago, Silvio said:

You're probably right, and I certainly seem to be in a minority amongst folk on here and the very few friends I have in real life. Let's hope with Brophy out he gets his run of games and puts a few away and I feel very silly in the next few weeks. 

Aye, let's hope so. Sadly, I think we'll be struggling by the New Year, given the games we have.

6 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Obviously Main will be the starting striker without Brophy.

I would start Dennis over Main, but you're probably right.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Hibs losing streak continues. 2 players sent off as well. Time for us to do what we do best and give a struggling team a boost

So that McGinn and Hanlon out for Saturday. Morale must be low. Magennis is out, too. What's the betting Doyle-Hayes puts in a shift on Saturday, though?

47 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:
So that McGinn and Hanlon out for Saturday. Morale must be low. Magennis is out, too. What's the betting Doyle-Hayes puts in a shift on Saturday, though?

But did we factor in the "new manager bounce" ???

Was very surprised to hear Ross has been sacked can see him back at Saints one day when Goodwin gets the Irish International managers job. 

Got to admire Ross playing the long game. Winning the Championship with us, gaining some experience elsewhere, sees Goodwin jacket on a shoogly peg, resigns so that there will be no compensation needing paid when he comes back to the club.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

But did we factor in the "new manager bounce" ???

It depends how the dressing room feels about it. Aye, if they all wanted him out, they may get a 'bounce'. If he had a good rapport with the players, it may work to our advantage.

52 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was very surprised to hear Ross has been sacked can see him back at Saints one day when Goodwin gets the Irish International managers job. 

Their form has been atrocious recently, but they have reached a cup final and I'd say have been a wee bit unlucky to lose some of the games they have done. I'd have given him a wee bit longer.

On 08/12/2021 at 11:50, NorthBank said:

Allegedly there had been some very heavy handed stewarding outside the ground including alleged assault by a steward on a supporter. Tempers had been raised as Aberdeen allegedly had only a couple of turnstiles open for the Away support who were left to queue until after the kickoff in torrential rain and allegedly the Away support were all searched leading to further delays on entry. The 'allegedlies' are from social media posts.

Stewarding wasn't great. Cash only at the turnstile with no card payment facility. I can pay by card to watch my local junior team.

The female turnstile operator helped me and my daughters out. I was told by 2 stewards that you can pay by card. Was £9 short to get us in but she let us through anyway after arriving at 1445 and getting in at 1517.

Other stewards were arseholes. 

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

f**k off.

Better than the *** being lined up for the Saints job if romours are true regarding Derick McInnes. Ross left Saints for a salary 3 to 4 times what Saints could pay.  I suppose if you were offered such a life changing salary you would still stay in your current job. 

Jack Ross was a wonderful moment in time for St Mirren. Lots of factors came together to make it seem all the more magical: from bawhair survival to dynamic league winners in the space of a year was fantastic, and I'll never forget that.

However, he made it very, very fucking clear that his ambitions lay elsewhere, and he left our squad in a proper state (Stubbs takes some blame, but Jack had failed to lay foundations as well). His transfer policy was actually fairly hit and miss, too. Plus we had Mallan and Morgan absolutely ripping the piss out of that league.

So I neither want to see him back at Saints, nor will he want to come back, nor could we afford him.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jack Ross was a wonderful moment in time for St Mirren. Lots of factors came together to make it seem all the more magical: from bawhair survival to dynamic league winners in the space of a year was fantastic, and I'll never forget that.

However, he made it very, very fucking clear that his ambitions lay elsewhere, and he left our squad in a proper state (Stubbs takes some blame, but Jack had failed to lay foundations as well). His transfer policy was actually fairly hit and miss, too. Plus we had Mallan and Morgan absolutely ripping the piss out of that league.

So I neither want to see him back at Saints, nor will he want to come back, nor could we afford him.

You don't think Jim Goodwin has ambitions ? in fact any manager that comes into Saints. has to pork with a lower than avarage budget so we will always be a stepping stone club until we can break into the top six creating more money for our budget.  

5 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

You don't think Jim Goodwin has ambitions ? in fact any manager that comes into Saints. has to pork with a lower than avarage budget so we will always be a stepping stone club until we can break into the top six creating more money for our budget.  

I laughed.

35 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agreed.

I think we’ve also seen at Hibs and Sunderland the wider issues he had.

No doubt his turnaround was spectacular for us and promotion next season, but it’s often forgotten that we were murder in the second half of the promotion season. In our four games against Brechin that year, who were fucking terrible, we only ever managed to beat them by one goal. I’m pretty sure that one was a late winner, possibly Hilson?

Good man manager, questionable tactics wise.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

By rights we should be absolutely cacking ourselves about the prospect of Hibs pinching Jim Goodwin but I'm happy to predict there is zero chance of it happening. An indicator that his star might not have fallen but it's certainly having a bit of a wobble.

Same with Davidson at the Perth version.

Ive got faith in Goodwin and the players to turn this poor run around.