The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

42 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Which a post followed up by Scott's version contradicts Oran's version. I.m told there was a fall out regarding this season's budget Oran felt we could not be competitive with the budget on offer or get who he wanted to bring to the club to move forward. Believe that or not . Nothing  to do with travelling.  As I wrote time will tell priority should be to support Jim Goodwin. 

If there was no money, we wouldn't have been in a position to even be negotiating with Popescu or to reject six figures for Vaclav Hladky. 

Jim Goodwin, shrewd as he is, would also not have been looking at taking our job at what would have been a massive disadvantage. 

Once again, I feel you need to be a touch more cynical in believing what you are told or read. 

Edited by djchapsticks

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If there was no money, we wouldn't have been in a position to even be negotiating with Popescu or to reject six figures for Vaclav Hladky. 

Jim Goodwin, shrewd as he is, would also not have been looking at taking our job at what would have been a massive disadvantage. 

Once again, I feel you need to be a touch more cynical in believing what you are told or read. 

All I know if true and I have said where it came from. The players our former manager wanted could not be brought in with this years player budget. If we went down rightly or wrongly Oran felt it would be his first and last chance at full time football he felt this years player budget was too low to make the team stronger than last year.  Maybe Scott wanted him out with false figures I dont know. But those brought in on trial look to be of a poor standard that's worrying.  Is the four players being brought in still to come. I hope so and everything I'm writing is shit also I'm a bud. 

3 hours ago, Lex said:

The same idiot that recruited Hladky and Popescu in Jan?

Trialists are trialists. We won’t sign most of them but why not have a look. Djorkaeff seems to be the pick of the bunch and if one of them works out it’s been a successful operation.

Sure Brian Rice identified Hladky.

39 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

All I know if true and I have said where it came from. The players our former manager wanted could not be brought in with this years player budget. If we went down rightly or wrongly Oran felt it would be his first and last chance at full time football he felt this years player budget was too low to make the team stronger than last year.  Maybe Scott wanted him out with false figures I dont know. But those brought in on trial look to be of a poor standard that's worrying.  Is the four players being brought in still to come. I hope so and everything I'm writing is shit also I'm a bud. 

So it was Kearney who quit then? He walked out on us because the job was too hard and shuffled back to Northern Ireland of his own accord?

Fair enough having a look at one or two trialists but having six in, less than a week before competitive games, is a bit of a worry and folk can be forgiven for thinking we're scrabbling around for players. It's not as if they were known players just being asked to prove their fitness either. Djorkaeff and Longridge had at least been with the club in Spain (I take it Gary Miller has either been binned or chosen to leave?) but Goodwin would only have seen the other four for the first time on Monday at the earliest and I don't think it's too wild to suggest he hadn't heard of any of them until recently. Their lack of first team games at anything approaching a decent level is also concerning.

The technical director stuff was supposed to provide continuity yet we have signed just two players, one of whom was a back-up goalie which was hardly a pressing need. We have glaring deficiencies in our squad (no natural leftback, no wingers), so forgive me if my underwear is more than a little damp. Yes, the Premiership games are still a bit away and there is plenty of time until the window shuts but it would be nice to avoid the shambles of last season's League Cup. As things stand, it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see us repeat our struggles from the games against Spartans and Queen's Park.

Trialists are trialists. Little more than guys invited for a kick around so the club can decide whether there might be the odd gem among their number. We've been doing it for years, and have only signed a handful of them.

Its way too early to soil our smalls over a perceived lack of signings. Goodwin is just in the door, and if, as should certainly be the case, he has ultimate responsibility for building his squad, then it is inevitably going to take a bit of time to identify players and thrash out deals.

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fair enough having a look at one or two trialists but having six in, less than a week before competitive games, is a bit of a worry and folk can be forgiven for thinking we're scrabbling around for players.

It's still early doors. The league cup groups are little more than pre-season for most teams now with the focus being ready for the league. The season we won the Championship we were awful in the league cup, got a 5-0 chasing at Firhill! 

45 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's still early doors. The league cup groups are little more than pre-season for most teams now with the focus being ready for the league. The season we won the Championship we were awful in the league cup, got a 5-0 chasing at Firhill! 

Exactly: compare the trajectories of the two sides since then!

10 hours ago, GAD said:

So it was Kearney who quit then? He walked out on us because the job was too hard and shuffled back to Northern Ireland of his own accord?

As I said I hope it's a lot of shit . Notice on BBC interview Oran say's he would want to get back into full time football if given the chance. Agree with you Oran walked away . 

Out of the trialists from last night, I thought Djorkaeff and Alceus looked possibly good enough.

The others ranged from not good enough to abysmal. Longridge was not the worst but is definitely not good enough on that showing.

2 hours ago, Drooper said:

Trialists are trialists. Little more than guys invited for a kick around so the club can decide whether there might be the odd gem among their number. We've been doing it for years, and have only signed a handful of them.

Its way too early to soil our smalls over a perceived lack of signings. Goodwin is just in the door, and if, as should certainly be the case, he has ultimate responsibility for building his squad, then it is inevitably going to take a bit of time to identify players and thrash out deals.

I don't really get the yearly trialist angst either, it seems to be a new thing, I don't know if it's because of the league cup group stages we don't really get much of a pre season now. 5 years ago nobody would have batted an eye at 6 unknown trialists against Stenny, yet now it's the end of the world. None of the actual main signing targets will be coming in as trialists. Unfortunately as well, with where we are in the food chain, our squad will not be complete until the end of the transfer window.

26 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

As I said I hope it's a lot of shit . Notice on BBC interview Oran say's he would want to get back into full time football if given the chance. Agree with you Oran walked away . 

I doubt he'll get the chance. Walking out on a full time job after 9 months to go straight back to part time isn't a good look. Who would trust him now?

19 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't really get the yearly trialist angst either, it seems to be a new thing, I don't know if it's because of the league cup group stages we don't really get much of a pre season now. 5 years ago nobody would have batted an eye at 6 unknown trialists against Stenny, yet now it's the end of the world. None of the actual main signing targets will be coming in as trialists. Unfortunately as well, with where we are in the food chain, our squad will not be complete until the end of the transfer window.

4 pros in will make a big difference however if not this week why come out in the press and say so. 6 days till the Dunfermline game a game Jim say's must be taken seriously.  Suppose we have enough about us buying more time. 

When the first full time managerial casualty of the year comes around in Scotland I’m fairly certain Kearney will not be in the running to be the replacement.

The league cup group stage is effectively pre season. Surely even at this early stage we will be able to negotiate ourselves through a group that contains Dunfermline, Edinburgh City, East Kilbride and Albion Rovers...