The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 hours ago, Dele said:

Celtic are fucking mental, too. Ive no idea how to price up Hladky, he's been here six months playing about 15 times? 

Kilmarnock fans were happy to see Taylor go in the not too distant past. He hasn't come on that much to make him a £3m player. Thanks to Clarke though, they can now say he's a Scotland internationalist, amazingly. 

Quite clearly you know nothing about football but then you are a Dundee fan. Perhaps you should look a bit more closely at other clubs players and see how they progress. £3m for Taylor is a steal.

Samson contributed greatly to our cup win, including penalty saves against Aberdeen and Celtic.

Nowhere near Hlacky's standard though.

Jamie langfield contributed a lot to our league cup success but he was considerably worse than joe Lewis or Danny ward who have won nothing with us.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Samson contributed greatly to our cup win, including penalty saves against Aberdeen and Celtic.

Nowhere near Hlacky's standard though.

Yet they both have identical (2 goals conceded per game) averages in the league last season, and Samson played with a worse team.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stats don't really back claims like this up. He conceded 27 goals in 15 games.

Craig Samson conceded 30 in 17 last season.

It is not about stats though. Both Money and Thomson had better teams playing in front of them. Hladky plays far better football than keepers a few decades ago when they just punted a ball up the park. He passes with both feet, comes off his line far more and reads the game better, besides being a great shot stopper. I do not remember Hladky conceding a soft goal since he joined us but Sammy, although a good keeper for us, was always liable to make a mistake that cost us and Sammy was often glued to his line. And last season we won a League so Sammy had less to do than fighting a relegation battle.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

It is not about stats though. Both Money and Thomson had better teams playing in front of them. Hladky plays far better football than keepers a few decades ago when they just punted a ball up the park. He passes with both feet, comes off his line far more and reads the game better, besides being a great shot stopper. I do not remember Hladky conceding a soft goal since he joined us but Sammy, although a good keeper for us, was always liable to make a mistake that cost us and Sammy was often glued to his line. And last season we won a League so Sammy had less to do than fighting a relegation battle.

Samsons figure were from the season just passed. He seems to have been your first choice for the majority of the first half of last season.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Samsons figure were from the season just passed. He seems to have been your first choice for the majority of the first half of last season.

You're right: the stats are identical, and that does surprise me. The only real comeback I have is that it proves how misleading stats can be sometimes. 

If you look a little closer, it helps to clarify somewhat:

Three of Samson's games were shite League Cup matches, against an early-season Killie, and then QP (an incredible goalless draw) and then a cruise against Dumbarton. Then, we played games where the matches were all but over by half time (3-0, 4-1 and 3-0 half time scores): Aberdeen and Hearts both took their feet off the gas in August and September respectively (and Aberdeen did again in October), which was lucky for us because we could have been facing double figures instead of the four-goal concessions we ended up with.

This is similar to people pointing to Kearney's 19% win ratio and wondering why he was popular: it's very difficult to describe how non-competitive a squad we had in the first half of the season, and Samson was a huge part of that. On the other side of the coin, yes, we were still mainly shite after January, but we were at least competitive to a degree, and you didn't feel like the keeper was going to chuck a goal in every game.

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You're right: the stats are identical, and that does surprise me. The only real comeback I have is that it proves how misleading stats can be sometimes. 

If you look a little closer, it helps to clarify somewhat:

Three of Samson's games were shite League Cup matches, against an early-season Killie, and then QP (an incredible goalless draw) and then a cruise against Dumbarton. Then, we played games where the matches were all but over by half time (3-0, 4-1 and 3-0 half time scores): Aberdeen and Hearts both took their feet off the gas in August and September respectively (and Aberdeen did again in October), which was lucky for us because we could have been facing double figures instead of the four-goal concessions we ended up with.

This is similar to people pointing to Kearney's 19% win ratio and wondering why he was popular: it's very difficult to describe how non-competitive a squad we had in the first half of the season, and Samson was a huge part of that. On the other side of the coin, yes, we were still mainly shite after January, but we were at least competitive to a degree, and you didn't feel like the keeper was going to chuck a goal in every game.

We took a while to gel after the break & IIRC  lost heavily a few times but even then Hladky looked good and when we had gelled his value was apparent making saves that improved results.

I have no idea how this will play out but £200k is way too low compared to what Hladky will be able able to deliver on field this season.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

We took a while to gel after the break & IIRC  lost heavily a few times but even then Hladky looked good and when we had gelled his value was apparent making saves that improved results.

I have no idea how this will play out but £200k is way too low compared to what Hladky will be able able to deliver on field this season.

Spot-on. We conceded 13 goals in Hladky's first four games, and then didn't concede more than two in a game for the rest of the season. We only conceded more than one goal in five of those games.

So yeah, his average goals conceded figure gets dragged up massively by the 'gelling' period at the start of the calendar year, while Samson's gets dragged down by playing some kickabout borderline-friendly games last summer.

Hladky will be away either this summer for a fee or next summer for nothing. Likely sign a PCA in January if he doesn’t go now.

Dilemma for the board, take the money or keep the player for a year and then lose him for nothing.

16 hours ago, Dele said:

Kilmarnock fans were happy to see Taylor go in the not too distant past. He hasn't come on that much to make him a £3m player. Thanks to Clarke though, they can now say he's a Scotland internationalist, amazingly. 

This is complete fiction. He has been a very popular and also very good player for us ever since he made his debut under Lee Clark at the tail end of the 2015/16 season.

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

Hladky will be away either this summer for a fee or next summer for nothing. Likely sign a PCA in January if he doesn’t go now.

Dilemma for the board, take the money or keep the player for a year and then lose him for nothing.

He will make us more than £200,000 with a league finish even if he leaves for nothing at the end of the season. He is one of our main assets it will take a minimum of a million to prize him away. 

2 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Just so I am clear with this - are St Johnstone and Aberdeen supporters pouring over Craig Samson's playing statistics?

I was merely pointing out that the "best St Mirren keeper in living memory" performed the exact same as Craig Samson last season.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was merely pointing out that the "best St Mirren keeper in living memory" performed the exact same as Craig Samson last season.

An observation you're happy to repeat here, without modification, despite it being disproved under a little analysis? I think that counts as trolling, tbh.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

An observation you're happy to repeat here, without modification, despite it being disproved under a little analysis? I think that counts as trolling, tbh.

It's not been "disproved", you've thrown vague observations (BeTfReD CuP GaMeS R FriENdlIeS/KeEpeR cOnCEdeD lotS oF GoALs eaRLY whICh DoNt CoUnt), whilst all I've stated is hard facts.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not been "disproved", you've thrown vague observations (BeTfReD CuP GaMeS R FriENdlIeS/KeEpeR cOnCEdeD lotS oF GoALs eaRLY whICh DoNt CoUnt), whilst all I've stated is hard facts.

Dearie me.