Sports that you don't consider sports

Rugby literally only exists to give people who are too middle class to like football something to pretend they enjoy.

I agree with this but replace "people who are too middle class" with "the Welsh" and "homosexuals".

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe not in the sprints but in the longer races the runners have to pace themselves and know when exactly to break for the finish,

And technique is important in sprinting. You need power but raw power only gets you so fast. You also need to apply that power efficiently.

This also applies to strength athletes like shot putters, weight lifters and prop forwards

Archery.

These days when you see it on the Olympics there's loads of devices on the bow that all but shoot the thing for you. Looks f**k-all like a bow.

Give these cnuts a simple longbow with no gadgets and lets see how fucking good they are at shooting arrows.

Archery.
These days when you see it on the Olympics there's loads of devices on the bow that all but shoot the thing for you. Looks f**k-all like a bow.
Give these cnuts a simple longbow with no gadgets and lets see how fucking good they are at shooting arrows.

Some people have no imagination.

59 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Archery.

Every so often these folk are out in the Meadows in Edinburgh. Worth a little watch.

image.jpeg

I have recently noticed an upsurge in (mainly elderly) people going out to play golf in Bruntsfield Links in full on golf gear (for those in the provinces, Brunstfield Links is a city centre grassy park that has a wee section turned into a mini, free pitch and putt). Men and women dressed in that terrible golf clobber for knocking a ball 20 yards.

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I have recently noticed an upsurge in (mainly elderly) people going out to play golf in Bruntsfield Links in full on golf gear (for those in the provinces, Brunstfield Links is a city centre grassy park that has a wee section turned into a mini, free pitch and putt). Men and women dressed in that terrible golf clobber for knocking a ball 20 yards.

That's what you get for moving to Juniper Green. Bruntsfield Links should seem metropolitan to you. 

3 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

That's what you get for moving to Juniper Green. Bruntsfield Links should seem metropolitan to you. 

It's a bit of a no-man's land. Not quite town, not quite country.

Archery.

I think you're talking about the stabilisers which are just counterweights to help keep things steady.

It's hardly radical new technology

And the recurve bow is over two millennia old. Insisting that everyone else use longbows because we like Robin Hood movies would be a bit cheeky

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think you're talking about the stabilisers which are just counterweights to help keep things steady.

And the recurve bow is over two millennia old. Insisting that everyone else use longbows because we like Robin Hood movies would be a bit cheeky

1908 Olympics

150804110352-1908-olympic-games-super-16

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Give them a recurve bow nowadays and they'd probably lose to Orlando Bloom. Even if he was wearing his blonde elf wig.

I did field archery on holiday last year with a simple bow. It was great fun, fairly straightforward and required no fancy gadgets. My stabilisers were at the ends of my wrists and I still managed to shoot the arrows with one of them.

Every so often these folk are out in the Meadows in Edinburgh. Worth a little watch.
image.jpeg.af64ff08ea8d68f03394aeba09ae073a.jpeg

The Royal Company of Archers do actually do archery then! I go past Archers Hall on Buccleuch St once or twice every day and it's a bit Willie Wonka - you know something happens inside but not a soul is ever to be seen. They maybe don't do a standard 9-5 right enough, being the Queen's ceremonial bodyguard.

Going to disagree. As a former competitive sprinter myself, I can assure you there's plenty of skill involved. Track racing isn't as simple as running fast as f**k, there's technique in the way you run, your arms, your body and the biggest one, how you start from the blocks. It's a very precise sport and has become more technical over the years. 
I'm actually currently typing this from Scotstoun Stadium where I'm watching my son train. He's fast as f**k but his technique and rhythm is all over the place and that alone will prevent him from getting faster. He is only 10 so he's still early days. 

If his technique is shite, just get him to run faster and he'll beat everyone regardless? Piece of piss this coaching lark [emoji3]

3 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

I'm actually currently typing this from Scotstoun Stadium where I'm watching my son train. He's fast as f**k but his technique and rhythm is all over the place and that alone will prevent him from getting faster. He is only 10 so he's still early days. 

Is he technically worse than Jesse Owens, Bob Hayes, Eric Liddell, Marlies Gohr (at the start) and Calvin Smith? If not (and it's unlikely he is), he might still manage a World Record or Olympic gold.

Which club is he with?

Archived