Rangers European Tour 2017/18

Topscot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

The scorer of the first goal faces a case for using an illegal substance. Doesn't seem likely to go anywhere and nobody worth listening to has even suggested it will.

Thank goodness, that would be the one thing marginally more embarrassing than the result itself. People really would be laughing at Scottish football if they did that.

Has it been confirmed this is the earliest exit ever by a Scottish team in Europe? St Johnstone got beat by Alashkert on 9th on July, I can't find any exit earlier than that.

Just now, GeeJay said:

Has it been confirmed this is the earliest exit every by a Scottish team in Europe? St Johnstone got beat by Alashkert on 9th on June, I can't find any exit earlier than that.

Yes apart from those clubs that played in the Intertoto cup

You have to caveat it with the fact that this round would not exist were it not for the Intertoto Cup having been subsumed into the Europa League - but that aside, it is the earliest-ever exit by a Scottish club. Indeed even including the Intertoto Cup it is only surpassed by Dundee existing to Sartid Smederevo on June 23rd in 2001.

Hibs were eliminated from the Intertoto Cup on July 10th in 2004... ditto a few years later to Elfsborg on July 12th in 2008... 2 seasons ago St Johnstone were eliminated by Alashkert in EL on July 9th. These are the only occasions we've had a team eliminated earlier than late July.

5 hours ago, come on shire said:

I would expect a non-OF Scottish team to get beat by a team like this but not Rangers themselves.  I think Scottish teams should just play their games 'doon the park' and stick down a couple of jumpers.  I'll 'baggsy' going in goals first.

This was a part-time team FS. It's hard to properly judge where they'd be in Scottish football, but if you assume they work to a similar scale as us, that would put them in the lower reaches of the Championship at best. And based on that logic, any team in the Premiership and most in the Championship should be beating them.

This is embarrassing AF for Rangers, but should not be a reflection on the rest of us.

This nonsense about the ineligible player seems to only be on social media.

We got pumped out by a part time, 4th best team from Luxembourg.  Even if UEFA did decide to kick them out, the team waiting in the next round should get a bye (something, something, playing Rangers), rather than us face the ignominy of being reinstated. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Probably.

I'm taking it as an objective truth that Rangers are the worst team in the history of the Earth. Not to take away from the controlled professionalism of Progrès Niederkorn in swatting the minnows aside.

I suppose the Red Imps result was the single stand alone worst British result ever, this is second but Sevco got papped out, Celtic won 3-1 on agg. Nice of the OF to take the heat off Falkirk (Vaduz), Aberdeen (Skonto Riga) and Dunfermline (Hfnarfarnarfardor).

This is worse than Red Imps IMO, they were at least champions of their league, had at least won a few CL qualifying legs before, scoring a number of goals home and away since they got admitted to UEFA three years ago.

Progres on the other hand had scored one goal ever, never won a game in their puff and finished FOURTH in Luxembourg.

25 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

This nonsense about the ineligible player seems to only be on social media.

We got pumped out by a part time, 4th best team from Luxembourg.  Even if UEFA did decide to kick them out, the team waiting in the next round should get a bye (something, something, playing Rangers), rather than us face the ignominy of being reinstated. 

:lol::lol::lol: 

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

This was a part-time team FS. It's hard to properly judge where they'd be in Scottish football, but if you assume they work to a similar scale as us, that would put them in the lower reaches of the Championship at best. And based on that logic, any team in the Premiership and most in the Championship should be beating them.

This is embarrassing AF for Rangers, but should not be a reflection on the rest of us.

This. I'd be fuming if a player cut through our defensive midfield/fullback the way their number 10 did for the first goal.

Archived