"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I think some people, particularly on the Caley forum, think the whole club is being moved to Kelty.  It's just the training, tonnes of other clubs in Scotland do it.  It just feel and looks more extreme because Kelty is probably 4 times further away from Inverness than Abrroath is to Edinburgh (where Arbroath train) or twice the distance than Dumfries is to Glasgow (where QOTS train).

A question for Abroarh fans on who may be reading the thread, do you care that the vast majority of your players train and live in Edinburgh?  Did it bother you 2 seasons ago for example?

To be pedantic, we train in Hamilton, not Glasgow. It's a good 20 mins or so nearer Dumfries.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

I think some people, particularly on the Caley forum, think the whole club is being moved to Kelty.  It's just the training, tonnes of other clubs in Scotland do it.  It just feel and looks more extreme because Kelty is probably 4 times further away from Inverness than Abrroath is to Edinburgh (where Arbroath train) or twice the distance than Dumfries is to Glasgow (where QOTS train).

A question for Abroarh fans on who may be reading the thread, do you care that the vast majority of your players train and live in Edinburgh?  Did it bother you 2 seasons ago for example?

You can commute from Arbroath to Edinburgh though, if you were minded to do that. Certainly you can commute one direction from Fife and Dundee for training, and then head up to the town for games. That's a fairly normal commute for a lot people. You can still be part of the community. This seems like a different sort of proposition entirely.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The issue is that we are generally competing for young players with clubs who are driving distance from their current homes.  This means additional costs/hassle for players and quite often players don't want to go away from where they are settled.

This is an issue we've had forever though and we somehow managed to go through the leagues, win cups and promotion without doing this.

Well exactly. It seems like a non-issue. Only now when things haven't gone the clubs way is it now an issue, funny coincidence that.

Besides the point, who is truly settled when they are in their early to mid twenties? I jumped at the opportunity to move to Inverness when I got my job there. Yes its further away from the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow but you get used to it. I honestly think Inverness isn't appreciated by people as much as it should be simply because of the distance. I think it's important for players playing for a club to live in or near the club they play for. It helps form a connection to the club and supporters, you become part of city and club. This shipping players up north every other weekend for games does nothing for that. 

I guarantee you one of the main reasons Gavin Reilly's just joined Arbroath having gone part time is that they train at Oriam. He wouldn't have signed for them, or anyone else in Angus or further North if he'd had to go there to train.

Seems a strange move. I know plenty of teams train outwith their own "home" , but for a full time team to relocate over 100 miles away for training seems absolutely mental. Picturesque Inverness to the land that time forgot - Kelly. Some week for you lot 😵‍💫

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

There is more going on that maybe you are not aware of, for a start there is a clear disconnect between the fans and club, then we have a CEO who has ran the club into the ground and a Manager who has seen us relegated and cannot accept the fact that he failed, the club knows that we are not happy and that we want to see major changes starting with the two aforementioned, so far the club has been aware of fans discontent but continually ignored us, the right to reserve withholding season tickets renewals is our only weapon and a last resort.

Todays announcement means a further community disconnect by the club where players will be unavailable to interact with various activities, charitable or otherwise, after weekday training.

Like I say. Good luck to you guys 

I think it’s different for a team like Arbroath because we’re part-time. Twice a week to Edinburgh for training for the Central Belt players and guys going from Dundee is fine. Relocating a full-time club’s day to day operations from the Highlands to a random village in Fife just seems absolutely mental considering that ICT have got themselves to the Prem, Europe and won a Scottish Cup without having to train in the Central Belt. I’d be lapping this up if I was Kelty though tbf I’d imagine it’ll fund a fair few decent signings for them. Might even end up above ICT come the end of the season.

I work with one of the young/fringe players dads and he just phoned me and sounded like he was about to burst into tears.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be pedantic, we train in Hamilton, not Glasgow. It's a good 20 mins or so nearer Dumfries.

I think their point is it's an unnecessary move in their case, as money is there but is being poorly used.

1 hour ago, CountyinBorders said:

And presumably Caley were able to get players to move up the last time they were in League One/Division 2, why can't they do that now?

Were you actually around 25 years ago?
Last ICT team v Alloa before promotion in 98/99 season:
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Mark McCulloch
Bobby Mann
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Paul Sheerin
Scott McLean
Duncan Shearer

Subs:
Andrew Allan
Iain Stewart
Martin Glancy

Pretty much all Highland/Aberdeen based players apart from 4, and I'm unclear whether those 4 did move up or just came up for matches.

Posted (edited)

So this will accommodate Bollan and recruiting central belt players I assume, however how does that work with the rest of the squad & staff already based locally? Absolutely mental stuff - are we then just going to bus some players up to our home games? Are we paying to relocate people or having a us/them split or worse - follow us of f**k off - as I know what route some will take.

Edited by bdu98196

Posted (edited)

I don't see it as a big deal for a part time club.  Arbroath don't have a training ground or a youth team, and our players only train a couple nights a week, so it makes sense to train somewhere central.  Until recently, I believe we had a long term deal in Perth.  They have announced an open training session in Arbroath during the summer though, and that seems to have generated some excitement.

However, surely thats totally different from Inverness, who are based in an actual city (ish).  Its hardly Cambeltown or Dingwall.  Plus do Inverness not have an actual good quality training ground i.e. the Highland Academy?

It sounds like madness to me.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's not just training though - it has to be physio work, face to face contract talks, lots of stuff like that. It probably weakens us in the English player market too.

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not one little bit. I know it’s different because we are part time but honestly do not give a monkeys. Fully understand it makes sense because the players at the club will have lives to lead and jobs to do away from football and making training easily accessible for them is important to attract them to the club. 

Suppose you still raise a good point, Arbroath to the Oriam is probably about 70 mile. Feels more extreme with Inverness doing it because it’s longer. We used to be Perth which is only a 40 minute drive but with the likes of Linn and Swankie away and less players from up Dundee and Angus way it made sense to change it. 

Arbroath been good at getting players up here for things though. 

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We are supposed to be developing a training hub at the IRA (calm down Celtic fans) what's happened to that?

Or the HFA. Do we ever use it?