"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

2 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Does more than signal end of McKay would imagine it will signal end of club being FT. You are offering derisory terms and a short deal to player who is legend on both sides of bridge only to sign Lafferty on a wage of at least 10x more. If you sign him then players are going to feel heavily undervalued.

Well, we can file this straight in the bin.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• Highland Capital

14 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

Dodds likes 2 up front, reckon it would be Lafferty and Mckay.

In terms of ability, it’s a great signing. Unfortunately, he is also a massive fudd

We usually only play 1 upfront with someone sitting deeper mostly Shaw this season. I can’t remember many games where we’ve played with 2 upfront 

We did play 4-4-2 right at the start of Dodds time in charge but we reverted back to the 4-2-3-1 at the end of that horrendous run of not winning a game and it’s been like that ever since.

17 minutes ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Is this true? My recollection is that we haven’t done it much over the last two years. When we have, it’s been with Samuels or Shaw or someone very much sitting behind Billy.

1st season  I remember us lining up with 2 up top nearly every game, first its was Sutherland and Duku and then near the end of the season it was Mckay and Samuels. Although the 2nd striker was usualy a little bit deeper.

Edited by Jaffa

The majority of teams that had perceived success in the championship like County, Arbroath, Livi, Killie and even Morton last season have absolutely murdered their way to it.

We often try to play football and then revert to long balls because we can’t break down packed defences. It’s about time we sign players that can break down defences no matter how unattractive it is. We’re too soft, get the murderous 2 up top Doddsball going imo.

2 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

Lafferty was a better player than Billy McKay until recently. I am certainly not saying he’ll do better for us and he’s clearly not a better person, but he was better. Can’t see this happening.

Lafferty can barely run now and is only good for elbowing players and having a moan. 

21 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Lafferty can barely run now and is only good for elbowing players and having a moan. 

A Northern Irish Brian Graham 

Edited by Jaffa

7 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Yeah, pretty much.

Maybe less mobile & more greedy which is probably a good thing for a striker. Lafferty will certainly score goals and win fk up the field but he's never going to run into channels, chase a loose ball or track a defender.

If you can keep Mckay then you could be on to something here.

Has Gardiner found a wad of £20 notes under the couch or something?

Lafferty? 🤨

Is this our summer marquee signing to sell hundreds more season tickets?

I'm distinctly underwhelmed if this is the case.

We aren't getting off this Championship hamster wheel anytime soon are we?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I'd have that lanky streak of piss from Partick at ICT any day of the week over that other lanky streak of piss. 

The best thing about us signing Brian Fucking Graham is it would stop him scoring about eighteen goals against us every season. Even if he turned out to be shite or perma-crocked I'm in

11 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

Does more than signal end of McKay would imagine it will signal end of club being FT. You are offering derisory terms and a short deal to player who is legend on both sides of bridge only to sign Lafferty on a wage of at least 10x more. If you sign him then players are going to feel heavily undervalued.

Lafferty is not going to be on 10x more than McKay was. He's 35 and his last two clubs were Kilmarnock and Linfield.

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Yeah, pretty much.

Maybe less mobile & more greedy which is probably a good thing for a striker. Lafferty will certainly score goals and win fk up the field but he's never going to run into channels, chase a loose ball or track a defender.

If you can keep Mckay then you could be on to something here.

Lafferty is anything but greedy. He was absolutely brilliant at bringing others into play, and generally got the best out of a lot of teammates. I have no idea why two Ross County fans on this thread are claiming to be experts on him.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Don’t have a bloody clue to be honest. We need more attacking players, ie wingers, but you could go a 4-3-3 with Lafferty and Samuels outside Mckay. I’m sure Lafferty used to play on the wing a bit so maybe that is an option but at the same time if we are actually signing him I’d imagine he wants to play up front so it could quite easily be the end of Mckay, which would be a fucking shambles. I love that man.

Lafferty has little mobility these days so definitely has to be a 9 and nothing else.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lafferty is anything but greedy. He was absolutely brilliant at bringing others into play, and generally got the best out of a lot of teammates. I have no idea why two Ross County fans on this thread are claiming to be experts on him.

Apologies for any offence caused to you but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on Kyle Lafferty. Why would anyone want to claim that, is another question 🤔

I called him greedy (in comparison to Mckay) as a bit of a complaint tbh, which is why I said it was a good thing for a striker to be. 

The previous discussion was about Lafferty and/or Mckay and there's no way Lafferty gets close to mckay on teamwork or just even general work ethic. If it were between the two I'd have Billy McKay every day of the week, but maybe ICT having them both could be a real boost for their promotion chances.

I think loads of people will be down on signing Lafferty because of who he is and his association with being a big idiot Rangers fan. People were similarly down on signing Kirk Broadfoot, who turned out to be a very good signing.

Lafferty could be a good signing on the right circumstances - he would give us something different as an attacker certainly. I think going into the season with him as our main forward wouldn’t be ideal though.

I feel the same. This is 2 years ago with big Kirky boi all over again but he was excellent for us. You could tell a mile off he’d played at a decent level for years.

14 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Well aye, except Brian scored 22 goals last season, when was the last time big Kyle hit double figures never mind 20 goals.

Lafferty was good in this division before though (and probably the reason Killie won the league) so if his attitude is right then he’ll probably do well. 

Edited by JagsCG