"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

54 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Is that a vote of confidence for a Morton win?

We have previous, didn't go that well for Falkirk but I see they are finally coming back to the championship.

Probably 1 v 1 on Saturday, so how would that suit you.

I don't think so much as a vote of confidence, they're suddenly not in fashion this week, more of an embracing of the reality that a Queens Park home win is surer than a sure thing and ninth is our outcome. The frustrating thing is that, with a bit of counterfactual thrown in, but for the Raith goalie this game would have been a dual with the winner having a reasonable expectation of fifth. 

On 27/04/2024 at 17:41, SandyCromarty said:

Beaten by 5 goals at home by a team that had only 1 point out of their previous four games seems to give some substance to Fergusons remarks on Arbroath 'players downing tools on their club and manager' after relegation confirmed.

Doubt we'll see a Statement from the Arbroath Board.

Oh grow up and read below 👇 

On 27/04/2024 at 20:57, virginton said:

I think your club should reflect on your own efforts at doing enough over a season to avoid being flushed down the pan. 

Not least given that the only reason you're still in contention on the final day is down to three points provided by, err, a ten man Arbroath team just three weeks ago.

Or maybe you think it's unfair that every other club gets to play the only team worse than you too.  🤡

On 15/04/2024 at 10:20, RiG said:

That's the rumour anyway. And it's a pretty chunky salary as well if the rumours are true.

It’s entirely true.  The weirdo CEO was openly boasting about it. Ferguson is on more than Malky Mackay was on at the time.  

I don’t have a clue what Malkkky was on our what Ferguson is getting paid but I’d imagine it’s a minimum of £5k a week?

Makes a bit a mockery of the crying and moaning our chairman has been doing in the press over the last few months about how skint we are.

Some rich people are fucking mental. Quite willing to pay a manager ridiculous money to come up here, who wasn’t even proven to be good at the job but if you suggested putting that money into the playing squad or helping to cover the losses for a few more years they wouldn’t be having any of it.

I'm 99% certain the club itself aren't paying Ferguson's wages, one of the board is personally.

Ferguson paid the £4,000 a man to beat QP a fortnight ago out of his own pocket.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm 99% certain the club itself aren't paying Ferguson's wages, one of the board is personally.

Ferguson paid the £4,000 a man to beat QP a fortnight ago out of his own pocket.

I’m sure that was the rumour at the time one of the board were paying his salary. Wonder who that board members big team are? 👀

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Aye I’m sure that will be the case. The point really was that they are still willing to chuck silly amounts of cash at the club so why not put that into the playing budget instead. Or if you are insisting it all goes to a manager at least give it to one who is a close to a sure thing at this level that you can find. Ferguson was always a risk and throwing stupid money at him is just ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Aye I’m sure that will be the case. The point really was that they are still willing to chuck silly amounts of cash at the club so why not put that into the playing budget instead. Or if you are insisting it all goes to a manager at least give it to one who is a close to a sure thing at this level that you can find. Ferguson was always a risk and throwing stupid money at him is just ridiculous.

I agree.  They should've appointed Imrie (apparently he was very impressive in his interview) and taken it from there.  He would've done better with the squad Dodds left us IMO, and probably wouldn't have signed 5 centre halves in January.  There probably wouldn't have been any need to spunk what is now Ferguson's wages on the playing squad, just a few shrewd attacking player signings would've been enough.  Boyes and Ujdur with Devine as backup, would've be fine for the centre of defence.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I agree.  They should've appointed Imrie (apparently he was very impressive in his interview) and taken it from there.  He would've done better with the squad Dodds left us IMO, and probably wouldn't have signed 5 centre halves in January.  There probably wouldn't have been any need to spunk what is now Ferguson's wages on the playing squad, just a few shrewd attacking player signings would've been enough.  Boyes and Ujdur with Devine as backup, would've be fine for the centre of defence.

Yeah, I think the recruitment in January has turned out to be a bit of a disaster. We were doing fine up until the start of January, though you can't deny there were some shocking performances too, and that was mostly down to Wotherspoon just being class. We needed attacking and creative options and not defenders. Maybe one but the amount we brought in was stupid. As you say Boyes, Ujdur and Devine would have been absolutely fine for staying in the division. We wouldn't have needed the cash from the wages for this season but you could say why not throw £1k a week at five quality championship players this summer instead. I don't have a clue what their plans were for this summer presuming we are still a Championship club and Ferguson is still in charge but spending silly money on a manager isn't much use if you aren't going to put some money into the players on the park.

We did it with Dodds for two years and we nearly got promoted and made a cup final and I will say we made it their in spite of Dodds. We invested in the squad and got a shite manager and now we have invested in the manager, who could well end up being shite too which I know some already think, and given them f**k all to work with on the park. Just have some sort of middle ground for once.

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Yeah, I think the recruitment in January has turned out to be a bit of a disaster. We were doing fine up until the start of January, though you can't deny there were some shocking performances too, and that was mostly down to Wotherspoon just being class. We needed attacking and creative options and not defenders. Maybe one but the amount we brought in was stupid. As you say Boyes, Ujdur and Devine would have been absolutely fine for staying in the division. We wouldn't have needed the cash from the wages for this season but you could say why not throw £1k a week at five quality championship players this summer instead. I don't have a clue what their plans were for this summer presuming we are still a Championship club and Ferguson is still in charge but spending silly money on a manager isn't much use if you aren't going to put some money into the players on the park.

We did it with Dodds for two years and we nearly got promoted and made a cup final and I will say we made it their in spite of Dodds. We invested in the squad and got a shite manager and now we have invested in the manager, who could well end up being shite too which I know some already think, and given them f**k all to work with on the park. Just have some sort of middle ground for once.

Indeed, in 21-22 we 'went for it' on the playing side with the signings of 3 Premiership quality players in Billy McKay, Kirk Broadfoot and Michael Gardyne (the latter only played a few months but he was brilliant for us IMO). Coupled that with other quality already at the club like Sean Welsh (when fit), Robbie Deas, Scott Allardice etc, you can see why we were 45 minutes from the Premiership.  The issue was our pish manager.  Now we have a pish manager on eyewatering wages, albeit it apparently being paid by a director and not the club, and a pish squad.

23 minutes ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Here’s the most optimistic take I can muster:

Airdrie will beat QP, we will draw with Morton in an eye-bleedingly bad game, we’ll stay out of the playoffs on goal difference.

Both games will be a draw IMO.

Going down would be disastrous for us, and can’t happen in any circumstances, but I do fear that we stay up by the skin of our teeth and the likes of Gardiner, Ferguson and co remain and we just continue to have the same issues

22 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Going down would be disastrous for us, and can’t happen in any circumstances, but I do fear that we stay up by the skin of our teeth and the likes of Gardiner, Ferguson and co remain and we just continue to have the same issues

Bit of a Dunfermline feel about ICT just now? Replace one poor form manager with another and down via the play offs? If it is play offs think you'll be okay as not sure Hamilton are any great shakes, although Alloa seem to be on a bit of form.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Final three were Ferguson, Collins and “a player atone of Scotland’s biggest clubs who wanted a career change”.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Did I just read that ICT are paying Ferguson five grand a week?!

If that's even close to the truth, you fully deserve to be relegated (and next season as well).

Maybe the reason that Imrie applied for the job at ICT once he heard the salary being offered.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Did I just read that ICT are paying Ferguson five grand a week?!

If that's even close to the truth, you fully deserve to be relegated (and next season as well).

No, they're not. Someone else is.