Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everton were fucking awful. Agree about Pickford, who was probably the only decent player. Koeman just doesn't have a clue how to play against a team that pack the midfield and press high.
As for Spurs, Eriksen is far and away one of the best players in the league, and they stretched the Everton defence with ease. The wing-backs hugged the touchline to give more space to the two behind the striker. Doesn't help when you have Martina acting as a 12th Spurs player.

That's how I see it. Usually when there's a controversial red card, you can just about see both sides of it, even if you agree with one or the other.   Here, I can't see how that can possibly be anything other than a red.  I think it's a shocking challenge.

That was my thought as well. It must be one of the most nailed-on red cards I've ever seen and I genuinely can't see how some people can think it was otherwise.

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Everton were fucking awful. Agree about Pickford, who was probably the only decent player. Koeman just doesn't have a clue how to play against a team that pack the midfield and press high.
As for Spurs, Eriksen is far and away one of the best players in the league, and they stretched the Everton defence with ease. The wing-backs hugged the touchline to give more space to the two behind the striker. Doesn't help when you have Martina acting as a 12th Spurs player.

Koeman keeps switching between a back 3 and a back 4. Today, he reverted to a back 4. The change of formation and rotation is hindering consistency.

Given the money that Everton have spent, the team is under-performing. One major problem is that have a few young and inexperienced strikers who can't replace Lukaku.

I don't see that as a red card, he went in to win a ball in a situation where he was entitled to go for it. The way the ball bounced gave the keeper the advantage but he had already committed himself by that point. Unless players shouldn't try to win balls in that situation you are effectively saying he should be sent off for doing nothing wrong.

4 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

He's got to be entitled to go for that, he can't seriously not attempt to win the ball purely because the keeper is also going for it too. His studs weren't up and that's not a reckless challenge.

Came on this thread fully expecting to find the 'he's entitled to go for it' line trotted out, and wasn't disappointed. For some reason this phrase only seems to apply to strikers diving in late on the goalkeeper, but not anywhere else on the park. I'm not sure why this entitlement means they are allowed to kick someone in the head. Of course he's entitled to go for it, like every player is entitled to go for anything anywhere on the park, it's a nothing statement. The point is if he decides to go for it, he has to make the judgement call of whether it is appropriate to do so, and what the consequences will be if he is late. He made a wrong judgement call and was correctly sent off.

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I don't see that as a red card, he went in to win a ball in a situation where he was entitled to go for it. The way the ball bounced gave the keeper the advantage but he had already committed himself by that point. Unless players shouldn't try to win balls in that situation you are effectively saying he should be sent off for doing nothing wrong.

Idiot found

7 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Again, that is a meaningless phrase, when is a player not entitled to make a challenge? Judging whether to make a tackle is part of the skill of tackling, you can't just kick someone in the head or make a knee high tackle and justify it by effectively saying 'the ball was there to be won.'

As has been said, literally no defence for that. Whether he means it or not, he's studded the keeper in the fucking face! What else can one expect?

Doesn't help anyone when even after countless replays, so called experts are still willing to claim it's an incorrect decision.

Koeman keeps switching between a back 3 and a back 4. Today, he reverted to a back 4. The change of formation and rotation is hindering consistency.
Given the money that Everton have spent, the team is under-performing. One major problem is that have a few young and inexperienced strikers who can't replace Lukaku.

I heard/read someone say that if you asked Koeman why he played a back 3, his answer would be because everyone else is. He played 3 players today who all want to play in the same position. He tried to shore up the left wing at half-time - fair enough. However, it was to the detriment of any attacking play that could've materialised as he isn't at his best going forward. Sigurdsson is also wasted on the flank.

That's the 1st of me seeing it and it's a red all day long. Feet and studs up, head height (with the keeper jumping as well). And the pace at which it happens, all point to it being a reckless challenge.

It wasn't really a challenge or a tackle though, and it wasn't head height tbf the goalie is crouched down a bit, he doesn't even see the keeper. There was an incident exactly the same in the WBA game the other week supposedly and it was given as a yellow.

Yep, especially like you say when a team such as Spurs press so high, to counter against them you need pace in the side. A 3 of Rooney Sigurdsson & Klassen give you anything but pace.

Eriksen is superb, I love watching him play. Gets himself into wee pockets of space effectively time and again. No surprise he's up there with the most assists in the league last 2 years, just behind de Bruyne I think.

Archived