Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, throbber said:

Definite red card for Mane, he should have gone for a header to take it round the keeper and he would have had an open goal.

He should have. He and Salah were causing Man City so many problems. At least with the League Cup tie coming up he only misses 2 league games against Burnley and Leicester. 

He should have. He and Salah were causing Man City so many problems. At least with the League Cup tie coming up he only misses 2 league games against Burnley and Leicester. 

I never watched the game but just saw the red card there and can't see why anyone is complaining about it. He's got to try and head the ball there, he gets there first and it's the keeper who is getting sent off or he has an open goal. Totally fucked it up.

It's like saying Roger Johnson shouldn't have got a red card when he halved Eduardo's leg in two because there was no malice intended. Red cards for horror tackles like that are the only thing that can protect players, and encourage them to show a bit of skill and intelligence in their timing of a challenge. I've also no idea what criteria a referee is supposed to use to determine intent.

I hope everyone saying that's not a red goes and watches their own team today, sees one of their own players get their head booted off and sits there calmly when the opposition player only gets a yellow.

Morton guy booted Jason Talbot in the face (and yes I appreciate the irony in that being the other way round than nornal) which resulted in Talbot going off with blood steaming from his face, a penalty kick and a yellow card. Was the correct decision as the defender was trying to clear the ball and didn't see Talbot coming round the side. Now it wasn't as heavy a collision as Mane on the keeper and the injury isn't as bad but I can certainly see why folk would be saying it should just be a yellow. Mane had no reason to expect the keeper to be there and was trying to bring it down, he had no way of knowing he was there as his eyes never left the ball, and had he got the ball first then he could have easily been taken out by the keeper himself - it's not as if Mane was the only one who wasn't completely in control of where he was headed. And I say all this as someone who doesn't really like Liverpool.

18 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I don't see that as a red card, he went in to win a ball in a situation where he was entitled to go for it. The way the ball bounced gave the keeper the advantage but he had already committed himself by that point. Unless players shouldn't try to win balls in that situation you are effectively saying he should be sent off for doing nothing wrong.

For fucks sake, what is so difficult to understand here? No one is arguing that he wasn't entitled to go for the ball. The ball was however several feet in the air and he was entitled to challenge for it with his head. You cannot put your foot at that height when there is another player competing for it. He flies into the challenge with his foot about five feet in the air and the studs showing, making it an obviously reckless and dangerous challenge.

This is up there with people arguing that Barcelona's first penalty against PSG shouldn't have been given because Meunier just slipped and didn't mean to wipe Neymar out. It's incredible that people who watch football every week can have such a poor grasp of the rules. It is an absolutely blatant red card and anyone who argues that it was a harsh decision should be banned from watching football for life as they're clearly far too thick to understand anything about it.

Morton guy booted Jason Talbot in the face (and yes I appreciate the irony in that being the other way round than nornal) which resulted in Talbot going off with blood steaming from his face, a penalty kick and a yellow card. Was the correct decision as the defender was trying to clear the ball and didn't see Talbot coming round the side. Now it wasn't as heavy a collision as Mane on the keeper and the injury isn't as bad but I can certainly see why folk would be saying it should just be a yellow. Mane had no reason to expect the keeper to be there and was trying to bring it down, he had no way of knowing he was there as his eyes never left the ball, and had he got the ball first then he could have easily been taken out by the keeper himself - it's not as if Mane was the only one who wasn't completely in control of where he was headed. And I say all this as someone who doesn't really like Liverpool.

The only reason he was trying to control it at that height was BECAUSE he saw the keeper coming, he can have no complaints that he got sent off for catching him in the face. Yes, if Mane got there first then Eduardo went through him you'd surely agree that would be a red? So what's the difference?

The only reason he was trying to control it at that height was BECAUSE he saw the keeper coming, he can have no complaints that he got sent off for catching him in the face. Yes, if Mane got there first then Eduardo went through him you'd surely agree that would be a red? So what's the difference?

Don't agree that's why he tried to control it at that height. If he didn't try and control it at that height the ball would've went away out of play with the direction the ball was going and his run he wouldn't have got it any other way.

Understand the red though.

Not really fancying today's games much. Up until the sending off I think yesterday's game was the best I've seen so far this season I think. Have to admit when both goalkeepers try and play it out from the back it can make for a superb game.

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

Burnley vs Palace. One of those games which looks shite on paper but could end up 4-4? Unlikely

I'm thinking a battling 2-0 victory for the home side.

Firstly I don't see how he could have seen the keeper coming. He's looking the other way and above him rather than towards the keeper or even the goals. Secondly, more often than not a player will try and cushion a ball coming over their head with their foot (or thigh) rather than their head because if they get it right they then have the ball under control and in a position to shoot whereas with the head it tends to bounce away from them. How often do you see Messi or Suarez or whomever bringing a high ball down with their feet compared to their head, for instance.

Had Eduardo taken Mane out then I'd expect a yellow tbh unless the ref thought it was denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Don't agree that's why he tried to control it at that height. If he didn't try and control it at that height the ball would've went away out of play with the direction the ball was going and his run he wouldn't have got it any other way.

Understand the red though.

Not really fancying today's games much. Up until the sending off I think yesterday's game was the best I've seen so far this season I think. Have to admit when both goalkeepers try and play it out from the back it can make for a superb game.

In other words, agree with the first part of this. Also can see why it was given ad a red but let's not kid ourselves that it was as clear cut as some as saying and that having a different opinion is somehow bonkers. Like I said, Talbot had a proper kick to the head yesterday (which was a full swing of the boot, not just a boot raised up) and while plenty of Pars fans were shouting for a red, the ref only gave a yellow. Both could have gone either way.

Archived