Work colleagues

11 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Tuesday night, asked a steelworkers what time he'd be on site today. He said no earlier than half 8 as he's not leaving his house before half 7. 

I got to site at half 8 and he's on the phone to my boss. My boss phoned me and says "take it you'll work until 5 as you were half an hour late to site". :lol:

Eh, naw. And now yer steelworker mate will be hoisting his ane beams.

That should be in the Profanisaurus. 

Oiling up the baseball bat, taking Captain Picard to warp speed, hoisting your own beams.

On 15/03/2024 at 02:09, Swarley said:

"Hi I have an urgent query, can you do this now, its for senior management..."

"Not really no as I have other high priority work I'm doing, the earliest I could even start looking at it is the end of next week"

"Oh yeah that would be fine"

Then why the f#ck did you say it was urgent then?!

We used to get this all the time at an old job, only worse.

"Hi, we need you go out to Timbuktu and pick up something today"
"We're fully booked and we've got two house clearances. One of them has phoned three times to check we're coming as they need to have everything out by the end of the day"
"Oh, well that'll all have to wait as it's for a friend of one of the directors, and apparently it's very important"
"So the director's asked you to tell us to dingy an entire day's work to do this?"
"Well, no, but they asked and we told them you could do it"
"We obviously can't without letting a load of customers down, so you'll have to go back and tell them naw"
"...you'll just have to do it, it's too late now"

Cue a morning spent calling customers from the van to let them know why we'd be letting them down, only to arrive in West Africa and discover that somebody's granny needed a rotten table and pish-stained mattress taken to the tip, and there was no rush. Every two or three weeks, board members using the business as their personal service and being facilitated by arse-kissing middle-managers.

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

@scottsdad and @Melanius Mullarkey discussing the rules of Malingering Club

Fight Club (1999) - IMDb

It's just like Fight Club, only if Ed Norton never punched Brad Pitt because the latter couldn't be arsed to ask.

Also, rules 1 & 2 are never broken because it would take too much effort.

Is it common for departments that work closely together to despise one another, or just my work? I work within the corporate triangle of accounts, finance and purchasing and everyone here fucking hates each other. The blame game when something goes wrong, constantly trying to palm to work off to other departments, feigning incompetence when they can't be arsed helping with another departments queries. Tiring stuff.

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Is it common for departments that work closely together to despise one another, or just my work? I work within the corporate triangle of accounts, finance and purchasing and everyone here fucking hates each other. The blame game when something goes wrong, constantly trying to palm to work off to other departments, feigning incompetence when they can't be arsed helping with another departments queries. Tiring stuff.

Just send this as an e-mail to your line manager. You should get some kind of response by return.

HTH.

14 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Just send this as an e-mail to your line manager. You should get some kind of response by return.

HTH.

Better to submit it as an anonymous comment during an inter department Teams meeting. 

33 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Yes, very. The amount of internecine plotting and one-upmanship that goes on in offices is insane. One place I worked at had internal cliques between departments and locations, to the point that people would freeze out new additions to their department if they'd come from the same department in another building, just in case they were spying on them. Most departments had a "friend" (read: reasonable person) that other departments knew they could approach to ask about bog standard work issues, as everyone else would ignore any verbal requests, and attempts to copy in higher-ups to ignored emails would just result in a massive blame chain.

There were probably less than a hundred employees across the whole business. I was universally distrusted because I operated out of multiple locations in my own department and got to see what everyone was up to. The business owners were well aware of all of this and had a "what can you do?" attitude, which is probably part of the reason why they're long out of business.

7 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Yes, very. The amount of internecine plotting and one-upmanship that goes on in offices is insane. One place I worked at had internal cliques between departments and locations, to the point that people would freeze out new additions to their department if they'd come from the same department in another building, just in case they were spying on them. Most departments had a "friend" (read: reasonable person) that other departments knew they could approach to ask about bog standard work issues, as everyone else would ignore any verbal requests, and attempts to copy in higher-ups to ignored emails would just result in a massive blame chain.

There were probably less than a hundred employees across the whole business. I was universally distrusted because I operated out of multiple locations in my own department and got to see what everyone was up to. The business owners were well aware of all of this and had a "what can you do?" attitude, which is probably part of the reason why they're long out of business.

Rings true for a previous job, aye; warehouse (trying desperately to play about with stock to constantly fight fires while sales fling last minute shite their way constantly) vs. sales (trying desperately to get as many orders as physically possible constantly to keep the owners off their back and fighting to get what they need out of the warehouse)

During the Second World War the Japanese Army and Japanese Navy despised each other to such an extent that the army actually celebrated the navy losing four aircraft carriers in the Batttle of Midway even though it spelt doom for Japan itself.

This sort of behavious has carried over into the modern office environment albeit with less dramatic consequences.

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

People are absolute idiots, waste days arguing with each other just incase they don’t get personal credit for something.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan

The wife had a meeting with someone she hadn't seen in a while, and they started off being complimentary about each other ( "You've lost weight, like your haircut..." ). And so on

Today I saw a mate at work I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks. He started with:

"I pulled a stomach muscle when sneezing. It's fucking agony, I can't even take a shit" 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

The wife had a meeting with someone she hadn't seen in a while, and they started off being complimentary about each other ( "You've lost weight, like your haircut..." ). And so on

"I pulled a stomach muscle when sneezing. It's fucking agony, I can't even take a shit" 

Wow, you work with my son? This is all I heard today.

Even missed a train because he could only walk at half speed. Think he was angling for me to carry him like the days before he grew a fucking beard.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Exalted company in your ivory tower.

A boy from the Army recently joined my work as a trainee. He's a sound lad but he's a little work shy, shall we say. 

Today I discovered that he isn't actually work shy at all. He just needs told what, when, where and why. He rarely asks questions or looks I terested but you push him into it and tell him why it's done and how and he's basically one of the best set of hands I've had in my years of labourers/trainees.

It's fucking wild what the Army does to folk. 

I was told a few weeks back he asks to week with me because it's boring with others. I thought I made it a laugh and enjoyable. Maybe he just likes getting told what to do. :lol:

28 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

A boy from the Army recently joined my work as a trainee. He's a sound lad but he's a little work shy, shall we say. 

Today I discovered that he isn't actually work shy at all. He just needs told what, when, where and why. He rarely asks questions or looks I terested but you push him into it and tell him why it's done and how and he's basically one of the best set of hands I've had in my years of labourers/trainees.

I was told a few weeks back he asks to week with me because it's boring with others. I thought I made it a laugh and enjoyable. Maybe he just likes getting told what to do. :lol:

db19f1d5-fc4c-42ae-a8d0-396608179583_text.gif.1774733bab3ffacb25e3f7cc6d7ca734.gif

Derry Alli seeing the new boy in a few months time......

full-metal-jacket-498-x-278-gif-j7lo3gykok5690mx.gif.adf0b488abe8f76bb9a3e920f3aba789.gif

20 minutes ago, greendot said:

db19f1d5-fc4c-42ae-a8d0-396608179583_text.gif.1774733bab3ffacb25e3f7cc6d7ca734.gif

Derry Alli seeing the new boy in a few months time......

full-metal-jacket-498-x-278-gif-j7lo3gykok5690mx.gif.adf0b488abe8f76bb9a3e920f3aba789.gif

He's from Cornwall way. He's basically 75% of the way there already tbf.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

Not really a great surprise when you consider how many of them can't do basic things like paying their own bills etc when they leave the military cause they have had it all done for them up until then. Pretty much taught not to think for themselves, just do what they are told and not question it.

I quite often get colleagues telling what me what to do despite me knowing or just about to do it. The place is full of ex managers from old works so I guess they cant shake it off. I always thought its because I look unsure and quiet. Can get annoying and nearly said something .