c***s on the road

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Just wait until the can't get cars along streets because there are no parking restrictions but the roads aren't wide enough for three cars and sometimes not even two cars can fit on some roads.

If parking your car causes an obstruction then it's pretty obvious not to park there

3 hours ago, strichener said:

Just wait until the can't get cars along streets because there are no parking restrictions but the roads aren't wide enough for three cars and sometimes not even two cars can fit on some roads.

Park somewhere else then. Pretty simple.

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh Council are hoping to stop double parking as well- it's only taken two decades since a story about a fire engine that couldn't get down a street to a flat on fire due to double parking first appeared 

Ah the problems you get when you have a city full of tenement blocks that house 8 or so families, who all want to have 2 cars and park them outside their block where there is space for maybe 3 cars at the most. People who live in a city environment need to lose their sense of entitlement when it comes to cars.

9 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Ah the problems you get when you have a city full of tenement blocks that house 8 or so families, who all want to have 2 cars and park them outside their block where there is space for maybe 3 cars at the most. People who live in a city environment need to lose their sense of entitlement when it comes to cars.

I gave up my car around COVID for this reason. I was just adding to the problem of congestion and I was doing about 5 laps around the block to find a space. I don't regret that decision and just hire a car now if I want to use one (Co-wheels). Can't see it catching on though. People will have to be forced, incentivized to give up their cars or it'll be necessary to disincentivize driving by bringing in 20mph speed limits and such like. There's not much joy in driving at the moment.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

I gave up my car around COVID for this reason. I was just adding to the problem of congestion and I was doing about 5 laps around the block to find a space. I don't regret that decision and just hire a car now if I want to use one. Can't see it catching on though. People will have to be forced, incentivized to give up their cars or it'll be necessary to disincentivize driving by bringing in 20mph speed limits and such like. There's not much joy in driving at the moment.

I read an article many years ago, so not sure if it will still be valid, that said when living in a city centre it costs less to use taxis, public transport, and the occasional hire of a car, than it does to own a car given insurance costs, road tax, parking charges, depreciation, etc.

46 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I read an article many years ago, so not sure if it will still be valid, that said when living in a city centre it costs less to use taxis, public transport, and the occasional hire of a car, than it does to own a car given insurance costs, road tax, parking charges, depreciation, etc.

I don't find that surprising, although it wasn't the main reason for giving up the car I found it cheaper to do a mix of all of the above depending on circumstances (where I'm going, weather etc). Cars are a luxury item in my view, basically non-essential. Everyone will have their point where it isn't worth having one anymore and I reached mine probably earlier than most.

The councils are wanting reduced car usage or at least less cars in the city so we're seeing roads pedestrianized, more cycle lanes, the LEZ in Glasgow, 30mph speed limits reduced to 20 in Wales etc. It's just a matter of time, kind of like smoking - it's being disincentivized. Cars are obviously a bit of a problem which goes to the point you raised about 6 or 8 flats in a block with each resident having a car - never going to work - or even in suburban areas where a household have two or three cars and cars end up being parked in turning areas etc.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

^^^ is the correct answer. 

Spoiler

I live rural. 😃

Why do some people (mostly women that I’ve seen) load/unload their children in/out their cars on the road side of their vehicles?
IMO, there’s absolutely no excuse for this whatsoever. 

I’ve had instances where parents have walked onto the road and opened the car door to allow their children to step on to the road, forcing me and others to stop.
They selfishly feel that this practice is fine, and clearly feel that it’s everyone else’s responsibility to ensure the safety of their children. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Why do some people (mostly women that I’ve seen) load/unload their children in/out their cars on the road side of their vehicles?

I’ve had instances where parents have walked onto the road and opened the car door to allow their children to step on to the road, forcing me and others to stop.
They selfishly feel that this practice is fine, and clearly feel that it’s everyone else’s responsibility to ensure the safety of their children. 

No doubt in their driveway they will put the kids into the car on the driver's side as that's the side that they themselves are going to get in. So come parking at the side of the road the kids are then at the road side. No forward thought about what's best, all about what's easiest. 

2 hours ago, Wacky said:

I insist they exit the car on the pavement side, even if there are 3 in the back, they can just get out one at a time.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

No doubt in their driveway they will put the kids into the car on the driver's side as that's the side that they themselves are going to get in. So come parking at the side of the road the kids are then at the road side. No forward thought about what's best, all about what's easiest. 

There is actually some messaging confusion on the correct location of a wean strapped into a seat or in a booster. The people (properly) encouraging the use of proper safety seats recommend placing them diagonally behind the driver, so the driver can more easily check on the wean. Meanwhile, the accident people say it’s better to have the wean behind the driver, because most drivers reactions in accidents tend toward moving the drivers side of the car to safety first, and thus taking the impact more on the passenger side. Recently they teamed up to suggest putting the wean in the middle, until they realized some vehicles only have proper outboard LATCH and tether fittings, and people using the lap portion only of a middle belt weren’t installing it correctly most of the time because of that.

3 hours ago, Wacky said:

It is fine. Unless it's on a motorway or they're being careless. 

Stopping your car to wait for a minute won't hurt you. 

I wouldn’t do it unless 

4 hours ago, Wacky said:

I can't believe you were forced to stop. The heartless beasts. Thoughts and prayers. 

X

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It is fine. Unless it's on a motorway or they're being careless. 

Stopping your car to wait for a minute won't hurt you. 

I wouldn’t do it unless 

I can't believe you were forced to stop. The heartless beasts. Thoughts and prayers. 

X

In the flip side tho, wouldn’t you say they could wait until you passed them? 

13 minutes ago, Wacky said:

In the flip side tho, wouldn’t you say they could wait until you passed them? 

If there's only one car, sure. 

People just need to chill out when using the road and be a bit kinder. 

Apart from when some bellend overtook me when i stopped at the end of a row of double parked cars to let a taxi come through the other way. Fuckwit had the cheek to shake his head at me as he reversed back past me. I laughed at him, which was not kind.