c***s on the road

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am trying to get me head around this point.

Cruise Control should be programmed to tell the difference between washing the car windows and rain?

Would you ever do 70 on the motorway, on cruise, and decide to break out a bucket and squeegee, hang out the window and start cleaning?

Has your car not got skooshers to wash the windows?

Most cars have rain detection sensors. So if there is a lot water falling onto the window AND the skooshers weren't activated, it detects rain and give you a warning before eventually disabling the cruise control function.

Or am I being whooshed and completely missed the joke? 😂

Edited by Spyro

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am trying to get me head around this point.

Cruise Control should be programmed to tell the difference between washing the car windows and rain?

Would you ever do 70 on the motorway, on cruise, and decide to break out a bucket and squeegee, hang out the window and start cleaning?

It’s Cruise Control, not Mission Impossible Control.

Maybe it's because I live in a country of vast open spaces but Cruise Control is absolutely essential.  That being said, my car is old and terrible so I don't have any sort of adaptive cruise control and it won't disengage if it's raining.  If I use cruise on the rain there is a chance the computers will over correct and I'll die, so I just don't use it in adverse weather 

7 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Maybe it's because I live in a country of vast open spaces but Cruise Control is absolutely essential.  That being said, my car is old and terrible so I don't have any sort of adaptive cruise control and it won't disengage if it's raining.  If I use cruise on the rain there is a chance the computers will over correct and I'll die, so I just don't use it in adverse weather 

It's great for long journeys on quiet roads. Nightshift in a van (50mph limit) on the A9 with the average speed cameras it was essential or I would've lost my licence a lot quicker than I eventually did! 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Same. Always use it when we hit the highways and I know I'll be travelling at the same speed for a few hours.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

36 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Same. Always use it when we hit the highways and I know I'll be travelling at the same speed for a few hours.

Same here.

Even the rain argument is a bit odd. You'd think living in Scotland people would understand there's a world of difference between a bit of drizzle and light rain, and standing water in the outside lane of the motorway.

Most modern cruise control will disconnect anyway at the first hint of loss of traction

Two cyclists skittled on the M9 yesterday. I got caught up in the aftermath of this. Saw two bicycles lying on the M9 and the smashed up car. I assumed the bikes must have fallen off a roof rack or similar, as I couldn’t imagine anybody would ever be foolish enough to take a bicycle onto a motorway.

Happened just at the junction where the M9 turns off to the Kincardine Bridge and the M9 was shut both ways resulting in a world record number of cars going through Skinflats and Larbert on a Sunday. We detoured home from Broadwood to Midlothian via Culross. It was a long day!

Hope the cyclists recover, but what were they even thinking here? It’s insane behaviour.

54 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Two cyclists skittled on the M9 yesterday. I got caught up in the aftermath of this. Saw two bicycles lying on the M9 and the smashed up car. I assumed the bikes must have fallen off a roof rack or similar, as I couldn’t imagine anybody would ever be foolish enough to take a bicycle onto a motorway.

Happened just at the junction where the M9 turns off to the Kincardine Bridge and the M9 was shut both ways resulting in a world record number of cars going through Skinflats and Larbert on a Sunday. We detoured home from Broadwood to Midlothian via Culross. It was a long day!

Hope the cyclists recover, but what were they even thinking here? It’s insane behaviour.

I'm sure that when the Commonwealth Games were in Glasgow a few years back, a whole cycling team from one of the competing countries inadvertently ended up on the M74.

55 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A bit strange, because the location pictured is a fair bit away from any junction where they could've mistakenly joined.

On 31/05/2024 at 09:37, Spyro said:

Final destination vibes here... 😳

Screenshot_20240531_093537.thumb.jpg.636b7a5ecd45c7370edfaca6442be5e5.jpg

That is fucking outrageous. A lassies got cut in two in Drumnadrochit a few years ago by something similar, a truck had left its leg thing out and leathered her as she was walking along the pavement.

He got 100hrs community service and 12 month ban.

32 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

That is fucking outrageous. A lassies got cut in two in Drumnadrochit a few years ago by something similar, a truck had left its leg thing out and leathered her as she was walking along the pavement.

I remember that, absolutely sickening for everyone involved. I think the big difference here is the driver has INTENTIONALLY loaded that bucket like that, rather than making a stupid, careless, but tragic mistake. It's amazing how many Facebook HGV drivers are actually defending the driver in my post by quoting the "overhang" regulations. This is why the haulage industry is fucked, absolutely ZERO common sense with a lot of them! 

I also wasn't too far behind the accident in Invergordon with the load that fell off the lorry and killed the woman there. There was a lot of accusations and rumours flying about that I really don't want to remind myself about as I knew a lot of the employees of the company at the time and we were all devastated by it

On 03/06/2024 at 15:32, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

If it was where you describe, there is no excuse for them being there............and, they must have been on a prohibited road for a fair distance to get there.

I can only assume they were trying a short cut - but as you say, insane.

Signage is very clear at motorway entrances.

Less "COTR" but more utter bammers this week.

I have been back and forward to Glasgow 3 or 4 times this week and some of the driving has been abysmal.

People swerving over lanes while reading their mobile, some people who simply shouldnt be on a motorway (the cars "pre-sense" braking thing kicked in this morning, when some brain donor swerved across 3 lanes in front of me).

Its just been a really frazzling experience - and I am usually pretty relaxed on a motorway.

My boss used to do that journey every day, his nerves must have been shot to pieces..................

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Less "COTR" but more utter bammers this week.

I have been back and forward to Glasgow 3 or 4 times this week and some of the driving has been abysmal.

People swerving over lanes while reading their mobile, some people who simply shouldnt be on a motorway (the cars "pre-sense" braking thing kicked in this morning, when some brain donor swerved across 3 lanes in front of me).

Its just been a really frazzling experience - and I am usually pretty relaxed on a motorway.

My boss used to do that journey every day, his nerves must have been shot to pieces..................

I drove along the M8 earlier today in rush hour for the 1st time in a while. Never moved from the inside lane sat a decent distance back from a lorry at 55ish, never had to touch the brakes, never held anyone up and still got to my destination quicker than the brain dead brake slammers all along in the outside lane. Will probably just use the back roads next time though. 

Some of the random slamming of brakes from people was puzzling and makes me think it has to have been automated as it most of it was a complete overreaction to absolutely nothing

On 03/06/2024 at 22:46, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

I think he was driving the vehicle for the first time and there's an enquiry into whether he was trained properly and if there should have been an alarm system. Worst thing was her mother was walking along with her when it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Was behind a learner coming home from work and we never went above 10mph the whole way through the town. 

Is it just me or is the instructor a fucking idiot here? Given there was never anything in front of the driver (well nothing close enough to make them go so slowly) and that the car was doing a fair bit of swaying, I assumed they were very new if not their first time. To me I'd have the learner out the way to get a feel for the car (or do what my instructor did and take me to a country road and get up to 60mph - flooding technique) before having them take on a trickier area. 

I wasn't being aggressive or beeping at them and I gave the person plenty of room. But this topic shows there are plenty of idiots on the road and I know other folk would have been going apeshit behind the learner. What's that going to do to their confidence?