c***s on the road

On average speed cameras, I used to travel a lot quite late at night through the ones on the M74 a good few years ago, and was convinced only two of the cameras were operational as they had an obvious infrared glow you could see in the dark.

The two in question were the same two throughout the entire period of the works.

How accurate that assumption was I have no idea, nor if it was, if it is still the case today.

A couple of c***s on the road this morning. The turn left filter was on green so the car in front of me and myself proceeded to do just that, only to nearly get clobbered by two cars coming down the street from the right.

Either their lights weren't working (unlikely), or they took a chance as they changed. Last I saw the second vehicle was stuck as our right hand lane then got the green light.

18 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Four parent-n-child spaces in a largely empty car park. Impressive. 

IMG_6874.jpeg

Aye that's me raging now. 

17 hours ago, Empty It said:

I was caught going up the A9 on my way to Applecross late one night years ago, it dropped down to a 40 for roadworks and I never noticed, had cruise control on 60 the whole way through like a fanny. Ticket waiting for me on arrival home.

Still never met anyone who's been caught, but you're now the first person I know of that's been caught, congrats good sir. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

A couple of c***s on the road this morning. The turn left filter was on green so the car in front of me and myself proceeded to do just that, only to nearly get clobbered by two cars coming down the street from the right.

Irene, driving the car in front?

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

On average speed cameras, I used to travel a lot quite late at night through the ones on the M74 a good few years ago, and was convinced only two of the cameras were operational as they had an obvious infrared glow you could see in the dark.

The two in question were the same two throughout the entire period of the works.

How accurate that assumption was I have no idea, nor if it was, if it is still the case today.

Pedantry alert: if it's infrared light you wouldn't be able to see it, by definition.

On 04/09/2023 at 19:23, parsforlife said:

Most cameras don’t know what’s driving past and so will only flag those  going above the car limit

I'm not sure about that. I was caught on the A17 averaging 60mph in a 60 limit. I was in my van which the speed limit is 50mph on a single carriageway. It never even occurred to me I'd be caught. Thought I was being clever, etc................right up until the letter arrived :lol: 

Your registration is all they need to know what class the vehicle is. A Gatso type camera will only take a photo based on speed yes, however the average cameras favoured these days seem to be 'smarter' I suspect. 

Need a c***s in the jury thread as well, stoner of 30 years turns across ICU nurse cyclist on his way to work but apparently that's just careless. Just get your defence KC to say that you didn't see the cyclist and your jury of driver peers can get you off the dangerous charge.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-driver-stoned-cannabis-caused-27681871

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The van driver clearly is in the wrong but Vine will have loved that. Could have slowed down or swerved but decided not to bother. 

It's exactly that. He's knows the guy was in the wrong but purposely kept going and then - astonishingly - thought the best course of action was to stop in blind spots of the fucking thing. I'd have ignored the horns and howls and kept reversing tbh.

The van driver clearly is in the wrong but Vine will have loved that. Could have slowed down or swerved but decided not to bother. 

Tbh how many folk would expect a van to make a turn and then start reversing the driver shouldn't have a license as they clearly can't do the basics right.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It's exactly that. He's knows the guy was in the wrong but purposely kept going and then - astonishingly - thought the best course of action was to stop in blind spots of the fucking thing. I'd have ignored the horns and howls and kept reversing tbh.

Yup, you see it all the time with these vigilante cyclist clips.

Vine stopped in the blind spot of the van to get better video footage of it being in the wrong, and nearly found out. 

The driver made a mistake, realised right away and started to correct it. Utter madness to stop behind a van like that in any situation.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Yup, you see it all the time with these vigilante cyclist clips.

Vine stopped in the blind spot of the van to get better video footage of it being in the wrong, and nearly found out. 

The driver made a mistake, realised right away and started to correct it. Utter madness to stop behind a van like that in any situation.

I'm not on twitter so no idea about vine personally. This looks like a cyclist braking to avoid a van turning across him, then starting off presuming the van will be going forward and not reversing! I have no idea how this is the cyclists fault and it's concerning that it could be interpreted as such.

14 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

I'm not on twitter so no idea about vine personally. This looks like a cyclist braking to avoid a van turning across him, then starting off presuming the van will be going forward and not reversing! I have no idea how this is the cyclists fault and it's concerning that it could be interpreted as such.

The van driver was in the wrong initially, and then tried to correct his mistake.  The cyclist could have avoided the van in the first place and then could have moved aside when he saw and heard the van reversing but decided not to and instead made a bad situation worse.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The van driver was in the wrong initially, and then tried to correct his mistake.  The cyclist could have avoided the van in the first place and then could have moved aside when he saw and heard the van reversing but decided not to and instead made a bad situation worse.  

He enters and tries to drive down the right hand lane of a road, it's a fundamental mistake and that's after not giving way to oncoming traffic.