c***s on the road

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The average speed cameras fined me for going exactly 80 in a 70, so i hope this isny true.

The traffic cop who told me was a guy I was delivering furniture to, and he generally worked on the A9 with one of the vans with a speed camera. Think it was before the average speed cameras appeared so I don't know if they've changed things.

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

You sit on them and don't remove your hand from the noisy pad, obviously. 

I had an old MX5 and the horn switch in the steering wheel was fucked so instead of fixing it for the MOT I replaced it with a switch that I could leave on in such occasions. 

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The average speed cameras fined me for going exactly 80 in a 70, so i hope this isny true.

You're alright to set your cruise to 80 on a dualler, you'll really be doing about 76mph and adjustments for overtaking etc are taken into account. If your Speedo is saying 84ish, then you're fucked.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You're alright to set your cruise to 80 on a dualler, you'll really be doing about 76mph and adjustments for overtaking etc are taken into account. If your Speedo is saying 84ish, then you're fucked.

Depends on the age of car, some point in the past decade they changed manufacturing laws so the speedo has to be more accurate.

10 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I've a split new Ford Custom and the Speedo is 4mph faster than my actual speed.

My car, my wife’s car, my daughter’s car, all travel at a lower speed than our actual speed on the speedo. 
My son in law has one of those gps apps, all three cars and his works van travel 3-4 mph slower than the speedo says. 

Edited by Wacky
Because I got my arse and elbow mixed up.

General rule of thumb used to be a designed inaccuracy of around 10%. It may be less on more modern cars.

I've even noticed discrepancies between the in car sat nav and an independant unit (garmin, tom-tom, etc).

Ultimately if you don't want a ticket, don't get caught speed :) 

6 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Whenever I use Google Maps to navigate it says I'm travelling 3-4mph slower than what my speedo says. Think it's pretty universal.

Our school has one of those speed signs showing what speed you're doing. My speedometer is always 4/5 miles higher that what the sign is showing.

Folk who overtake you by going into "hatched" areas. I thought you weren't allowed to drive in them, happened to me twice this afternoon. In neither case did it get them very far. (Apart from being in front of me, of course.)

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Folk who overtake you by going into "hatched" areas. I thought you weren't allowed to drive in them, happened to me twice this afternoon. In neither case did it get them very far. (Apart from being in front of me, of course.)

That alone would be worth the risk ya doddery auld bugger.

Spoiler

😆

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I use them a fair bit of the time.  Not to overtake but to allow cars behind me to get past when I'm waiting to turn right.  You can use them if it's safe to do it.

If it's bounded by a solid white line though, you're not meant to enter it.  Same as crossing a solid white line in the middle of the road (a particular pet hate of mine)

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

I use them a fair bit of the time.  Not to overtake but to allow cars behind me to get past when I'm waiting to turn right.  You can use them if it's safe to do it.

If it's bounded by a solid white line though, you're not meant to enter it.  Same as crossing a solid white line in the middle of the road (a particular pet hate of mine)

Yes they are, and I hate that, too. There's a particular bend about a mile from our house and 50% of the vehicles come round it over the line.

46 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

That alone would be worth the risk ya doddery auld bugger.

Reveal hidden contents

😆

I thought I was leaving myself open to that response...

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Depends on the age of car, some point in the past decade they changed manufacturing laws so the speedo has to be more accurate.

Oddly enough, I've got a 30 year old Calibra and the speedo on that seems to be more accurate than my Astra which is about 16 years younger.