The Rangers Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Rangers' next permanent manager?  

530 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, nsr said:

Would it really boost the profile of the league? If one of my favourite players went to manage in Luxembourg, I wouldn't give even the slightest extra amount of a toss about the Luxembourger league.

I would say it would it boost the profile of the club and in turn the league. When Gary Neville went over to manage Spain SSN seemed to show highlights of all the Valencia games when they never did before and haven’t really since. The same happened when Gerrard went to play for LA Galaxy.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he does take the job, and if he was a success,

How exactly is a barely retired player, with only youth team management experience meant to make the SPFL look less 'tinpot' to GuffyLand.

We'll just have Joey Barton back on Talksport spouting more BS regarding how he was just too good and that why he didn't fit in.

As his old mob were in Rome last night and Veni, Vidi, Vici

I feel confident he will Veni, Vidi, Perii

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would say it would it boost the profile of the club and in turn the league. When Gary Neville went over to manage Spain SSN seemed to show highlights of all the Valencia games when they never did before and haven’t really since. The same happened when Gerrard went to play for LA Galaxy.

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but Sky show as many Rangers games as possible just now.

They already show highlights of every Premiership game though.

It’s not really the kind of ‘profile’ we need though is it.

It helps the tabloids etc sell papers but it does nothing for Scottish football more generally. If anything ‘gerrard v rodgers’ will simply serve as just another reason not to give a shit about the rest of the league.

The sooner we realise that interest from England over superficial figures like Steven Gerrard will not cure our game the better.

Rangers fan in work trying his best to convince me that I and the rest of Scottish football should be excited about Stevie G coming to Ibrox.   Telling him that seeing them papped into the third division again would be the only thing that me and the rest of Scottish football would get excited about concerning Rangers was not well received.

2 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Rangers fan in work trying his best to convince me that I and the rest of Scottish football should be excited about Stevie G coming to Ibrox.   Telling him that seeing them papped into the third division again would be the only thing that me and the rest of Scottish football would get excited about concerning Rangers was not well received.

He has a point. The prospect of a manager of Stevie G's experience coming to Ibrox is indeed exciting for the rest of Scottish Football.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

This.

There will be a few articles high up on BBC Football if/when he's appointed, but your average fan in England isn't suddenly going to stop calling our league tinpot and start tuning in. Rodgers was supposedly a big draw, but folk down South still DGAF. I'd expect the coverage of this in England to be similar to when Gary Neville was at Valencia.

Regular articles reacting to another poor result asking if it was a case of too much too soon and questioning whether he will ever step back into management following the failure of such an off the wall and out there initial appointment?

It’s not really the kind of ‘profile’ we need though is it.

It helps the tabloids etc sell papers but it does nothing for Scottish football more generally. If anything ‘gerrard v rodgers’ will simply serve as just another reason not to give a shit about the rest of the league.

The sooner we realise that interest from England over superficial figures like Steven Gerrard will not cure our game the better.

Unfortunately it has been proven the bosses cant really market the game for sh*t so we can't dictate what profile we want. Whilst it would have more beneficial for a world renowned name in football to manage a smaller club in Scottish football regardless if Gerrard is a success or not more eyes will be on Scottish football because of him.

Unfortunately it has been proven the bosses cant really market the game for sh*t so we can't dictate what profile we want. Whilst it would have more beneficial for a world renowned name in football to manage a smaller club in Scottish football regardless if Gerrard is a success or not more eyes will be on Scottish football because of him.

And tell me, as a fan of Aberdeen why should I be pleased about that?

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Sorry this is sideshow bob not the Simpsons.
Image result for sideshow bob gif

And tell me, as a fan of Aberdeen why should I be pleased about that?

I dont expect any other club to be pleased, just appreciate that potentially Scottish football is getting some more attention further afield and indirectly could help sponsorship/tv rights deals.

I dont expect any other club to be pleased, just appreciate that potentially Scottish football is getting some more attention further afield and indirectly could help sponsorship/tv rights deals.

And that’s fair enough. I see the point.

But were asked to blindly accept ‘increased profile’ without answering key questions:

- what kind of profile

- what are the financial benefits (to everyone, not two clubs)

- how the money gets spent, is it on infrastructure, youth development, or does it go straight into the football operation for one or two clubs?

- is it sponsorship for rangers or for the spfl?

- will it be used to promote Scottish football as a whole or will it be even more polarised to two clubs?

- is gerrard an actual benefit to the footballing side of Scottish football, or is he just a ‘celebrity’?

I get your point and it isn’t meant as a go at you at all I just think this idea that we should get excited by ‘profile’ is utter fallacy.

I don't for one give a shit about the Gerard sideshow if it comes to pass - but I'd agree with Gannonball on this generally.

Whilst most diddy club supporters couldn't care less, there is a fair chance that their players do. One of the main pitches my own club makes to prospective signings has been that their profile (and therefore a chance of a good move subsequently) is far greater in our top league than the backwaters of the English lower leagues or the reserves of a big club. Loads of our players have mentioned it in interviews, how being on Live TV games regularly and being featured in the papers is a new (and good) thing for them. When you are asking guys to accept less money in the short term in the hope of their next move being better, then having as much attention on our league from down south as possible is a very handy sales pitch.

So - the other clubs might not be direct beneficiaries - but it could well have a positive effect on recruitment & retention.

I don't for one give a shit about the Gerard sideshow if it comes to pass - but I'd agree with Gannonball on this generally.
Whilst most diddy club supporters couldn't care less, there is a fair chance that their players do. One of the main pitches my own club makes to prospective signings has been that their profile (and therefore a chance of a good move subsequently) is far greater in our top league than the backwaters of the English lower leagues or the reserves of a big club. Loads of our players have mentioned it in interviews, how being on Live TV games regularly and being featured in the papers is a new (and good) thing for them. When you are asking guys to accept less money in the short term in the hope of their next move being better, then having as much attention on our league from down south as possible is a very handy sales pitch.
So - the other clubs might not be direct beneficiaries - but it could well have a positive effect on recruitment & retention.

I very much understand that argument and you are certainly not wrong in what you say. But I suppose it comes under the ‘trickle down’ model of any industry etc.

Yes, we may sign a better centre half than Anthony o Connor for example, but if the gap between that new defender and the teams above us is even wider, then is that a positive?

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Right, but that's contingent upon the SPFL having a UK-wide TV deal in place, which has usually been the case for the last ~20 years.  Only exception being those two years the games were on BBC Scotland (I think only the OF games were shown UK-wide), after the SPL turned down Sky and the proposal for their own channel collapsed.

Rangers having a high-profile manager doesn't change that. It maybe means that some more people will watch the games, which would increase the value of the deal, but it's hard to believe that there would be no deal at all. Especially given that the TV companies were still happy to show the games (albeit at a reduced rate) when Rangers were in the seaside leagues.

To be clear - I don't for a minute think it's a game changer or anything daft like that - simply that in a situation where players are swithering about coming to Scottish football (as we experience a lot going by the manager's comments), this sort of thing helps. In terms of the TV deal - these are negotiated in multi-year contracts, so I doubt that any individual manager or player would have a direct effect on that.

Archived