Favourite Building in your home town/city

9 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

Strange looking building that alright! Have never been but I drive past Dunmore this afternoon. 

I live round the corner from the Dobbie Hall, as you said, hardly a building worth bring up but I must admit I am very fond of the church I’ve started going to since moving here. Larbert old parish church, gorgeous building!

E5E0F2DF-BC9F-47AD-BECA-2BFA65A81344.jpeg.e8cc12c3d8775e3dc9c776e1851ef443.jpeg

Yeah was being slightly facetious with the Dobbie to highlight the lack. Never thought of the churches though, LOP is indeed a cracker, good shout. As is Larbert West actually.

On 11/19/2017 at 16:01, Reggie Perrin said:

Didn't have any real buildings!

How about this beauty...

denny.jpg

It's been erased from my memory since they finally did the sensible thing.

On 21/11/2017 at 23:35, dfc_1893 said:

Like the op, I am also a dundonian exiled in Aberdeen. One building which definitely stands out for me is rgu library. You can see it pretty much anywhere in the south of the city and is a welcome rest from the eyesore of grey8394.jpg

Yeah but Aberdeen Uni >>> RGU

On 11/14/2017 at 22:43, The OP said:

I wouldn’t exactly say it’s my favourite building but I like this picture of a wee chunk of original tenement in the Gorbals standing its ground in front of the monstrosity that replaced it

post-60-1170976242_thumb.jpg

And the same wee chunk still standing after the monstrosity has gone

IMG_6608.JPG

Spotted this today on Derelict Glasgow Facebook page

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/6424/Gorbals_tenement_survivor_to_be_brought_back_to_life.html

There's too many candidate in Edinburgh so I'll narrow it down to Tollcross

Barclay church was built after somebody left a legacy of enough money to build a cathedral and enough ground to build a small church.

It is an absolutely bonkers bit of architecure and remains the second tallest building in the city

Barclay-Church,medium.1497955860.jpg

Barclay_Viewforth_Church,_Tollcross,_Edi

Detail_on_Bruntsfield_Barclay_Church.JPG

"Ye are a young gentleman," the Bailie said to him, "and an Englishman, and a' this maybe very fine to you; but for me, wha am a plain man and ken something o' the different values of land, I wadna gie the finest sight we have seen in the Hielands for the first keek of the Gorbals, and if I were ance there it shouldna be every fool's errand- begging your pardon, Mr Francis- that should take me out of sight of St. Mungo's steeple again!"

outside.jpg

I know I was beaten to posting this but it's nice to have it quantified, even if by an Edinbronian.

• 1 year later...
On 13/11/2017 at 14:21, Andy_K_97 said:

Kilmarnock used to have a lot more nice buildings in it before many were torn down in the 60s and 70s - absolutely criminal in my view. However the Dick Institute is a fantastic building that hosts the town's main library, art exhibitions and a museum about the town and the local area.

This is how the building looked after it was opened for the second time - the first building was destroyed by fire.

1381333256museums%20-%20dick%20institute

5926.jpg

This is how I remembered it as a kid. I always thought it was red sandstone due to how dirty it was.

The_Dick_Institute_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1

And this is it today. A smashing building all in all

Dick-Inst.jpg

I had no idea that the Dick wasn't red sandstone.