Favourite Building in your home town/city

Guest Moomintroll
5 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I remember being told some fact about it being the largest building in the world of it's type as well.  I also remember that Partick and the surrounding areas were supposedly infested with rats when they took it down.

Whiteinch had loads of rats running about at the time.

I've always found the old water tower on Northesk Road in Montrose pretty cool, would purchase it if I had £550,000 spare.
cdeee42f0c478fccd4c4c11ecead68e6.jpg

Also Bolton Town Hall although it maybe stands out more due to the shite surrounding it.
4c0941de42b0bfeedc004a2433d9a413.jpg

On 11/13/2017 at 14:03, KnightswoodBear said:

When I was wee, I used to love the Granary on South Street.  It seemed impossibly large to my younger self.  Then they knocked it down and threw up some horrific flats

granary13.jpg

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

I think the fact it took them an absolute age to sell all the original flats at a far lower average price than expected knocked the appetite of the developers to throw up a few hundred more for even less profit, if not a loss. At one stage there was talk of legal action against them because the residents who bought up front paid significantly more than the asking price ended up by the time they got rid of the last of them. I was also a fan of the huge red monstrosity that was there before them.

5 hours ago, Johnny Däpp said:

They had land cleared to the west of the existing development in 2007 and we all know what happened later that year. Don’t think there has been the demand do go building again unfortunately. Problem with these flats is it full of buy to lets then the landlords don’t pay the factor fees therefore the buildings just go to shit. 

Amazing! I am from Linthouse across the river from there and at Govan High School if you were in the top floor, you can see the Granary. There was a control tower at the top and with the angle of the windows you would often see the river Clyde reflecting on them on a good day. A boring building but very impressive. 

Also recall when they were knocking it down they found a WW2 bomb somewhere on the site, remember being mega excited about that and also slightly paranoid about it killing me (was young tbf)

I wouldn’t exactly say it’s my favourite building but I like this picture of a wee chunk of original tenement in the Gorbals standing its ground in front of the monstrosity that replaced it

post-60-1170976242_thumb.jpg

And the same wee chunk still standing after the monstrosity has gone

IMG_6608.JPG

25 minutes ago, The OP said:

I wouldn’t exactly say it’s my favourite building but I like this picture of a wee chunk of original tenement in the Gorbals standing its ground in front of the monstrosity that replaced it

post-60-1170976242_thumb.jpg

And the same wee chunk still standing after the monstrosity has gone

IMG_6608.JPG

The tenement still looks about 100 times better.

Always been very fond of Glasgow Central Station
D69F47A0-64B6-4702-9690-82AD09509D49.jpeg.0b086637086fa873805b9c197343c4c1.jpegC4043C3B-04FC-4E8F-9DAC-254F9EDDFE31.jpeg.024afc64836c1d4bffe1d78813d85c71.jpeg365E9E9E-10D2-4EA1-ABD8-4E7AC1AC442D.thumb.jpeg.9dfd2634a6a5fbbafcc6414e7c4ee542.jpeg

A hugely underrated station aesthetically. I think possibly it's sheer size works against it in that it's so large in scale that you can't take it all in up close to appreciate it. I was at a wedding there a while back after it's hotel had been renovated and it's great inside.

We seem to have reached consensus that the McManus is Dundee's standout building.

Glasgow Central is the best major train station in Scotland and maybe only second to St Pancras in the UK unless anyone can direct me to a better looking one?

I love architecture.

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

We seem to have reached consensus that the McManus is Dundee's standout building.

Glasgow Central is the best major train station in Scotland and maybe only second to St Pancras in the UK unless anyone can direct me to a better looking one?

I love architecture.

Google image Wemyss Bay station.