Favourite Building in your home town/city

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Haud the fucking bus. 

Does this mean you're a proper teuchter c**t then?

No, because Teuchter is a derogatory term for people from the North West. Tain's in the North East. Sort out your understanding of regional racism.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ha ha, you're even more teuchtery then me.

Ha ha.

Hide contents

Ha ha.

Aye but you stayed there. I had a foot in both the North East and West Central Scotland, getting the best of both worlds (the small town, small mindedness of Tain and the poverty of Clydebank...).

No, because Teuchter is a derogatory term for people from the North West. Tain's in the North East. Sort out your understanding of regional racism.

Are all highlanders not considered as teuchters by people within the central belt?

12 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Mind they were supposed to be building more flats along there and a shopping centre, cinema, restaurants and bars etc, now its one wee bit of flats and f**k all else. 

I think the fact it took them an absolute age to sell all the original flats at a far lower average price than expected knocked the appetite of the developers to throw up a few hundred more for even less profit, if not a loss. At one stage there was talk of legal action against them because the residents who bought up front paid significantly more than the asking price ended up by the time they got rid of the last of them. I was also a fan of the huge red monstrosity that was there before them.

Where I am now I absolutely love the old town. Would be difficult to pick a particular building as a favourite as there are so many, including the one I live in.

luftaufnahme.jpg

Roland-Zihlmann-shutterstock_21771283.jp

13522527.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1O3Bc_tBH3KWJzhE8P-P

If pushed I would have to go with the old gun powder tower which sits at one corner of the old town and just looks so fucking bizarre with the cannon in front of it, or the wee function room on stilts that is officially known as the Markthalle.

zofingen05.jpg

i286823014241788592._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Edited by Ross.

22 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Kilmarnock used to have a lot more nice buildings in it before many were torn down in the 60s and 70s - absolutely criminal in my view. However the Dick Institute is a fantastic building that hosts the town's main library, art exhibitions and a museum about the town and the local area.

This is how the building looked after it was opened for the second time - the first building was destroyed by fire.

1381333256museums%20-%20dick%20institute

5926.jpg

This is how I remembered it as a kid. I always thought it was red sandstone due to how dirty it was.

The_Dick_Institute_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1

And this is it today. A smashing building all in all

Dick-Inst.jpg

You can tell someone's from Killie if they keep a straight face when they say they're going to the Dick....

17 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Quite possibly, but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

History is written by the winners. You can try to subdivide teuchters as much as you want, places with populations of more than a few folk and hunners of sheep will have the casting vote on this one #centralbeltbias

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

History is written by the winners. You can try to subdivide teuchters as much as you want, places with populations of more than a few folk and hunners of sheep will have the casting vote on this one #centralbeltbias

As someone from Edinburgh who rightfully moved to the much better city of Glasgow, you clearly have taste. In that case, I'll allow it.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

As someone from Edinburgh who rightfully moved to the much better city of Glasgow, you clearly have taste. In that case, I'll allow it.

I lived in Aberdeen and Dundee before this, don't give me too much credit. 

34 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

i thought a teuchter was just anyone not from within 30 miles of Glasgow.

anyone with a slightly different accent gets branded a teuchter.

everyday is a school day

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

I lived in Aberdeen and Dundee before this, don't give me too much credit. 

I actually really like Edinburgh. Dundee seems to have gotten a bit of a head of steam from the hipster crowd of late, but last time I was there it was still the small, crap, insular place it always was. Aberdeen is shite.

Just now, DanMc99 said:

i thought a teuchter was just anyone not from within 30 miles of Glasgow.

anyone with a slightly different accent gets branded a teuchter.

everyday is a school day

It refers to Gaels, and traditionally they have always been more prevalent in the North West and the Isles.

Great thread. 

In Dundee for me, I am biased but my place of work...

5ce359de68f5022d2b641b76ba730318.jpg

Tha McManus Galleries

LCD-McManus.jpg

And from my childhood, The Jimmy Shand.

5795e0977d6fd.jpg

Is there a thread of buildings that no longer exist in your town? I've  a vague recollection of one but if there isn't there should be. One building that should still be here is the old Dundee West Train Station.

station2.jpg.jpg

1 minute ago, DanMc99 said:

i live about 20 miles outside of glasgow and we played against a team from "up the toon" one day and because there was a field next to where we played we were branded "sheepshaggers".

i mean it was one field behind rows of flats

You shag the one sheep!!!

2 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

i live about 20 miles outside of glasgow and we played against a team from "up the toon" one day and because there was a field next to where we played we were branded "sheepshaggers".

i mean it was one field behind rows of flats

That's small town mentality in reverse. Basically, schemies who've never left the borders of their own housing estate beyond trips to the city centre or the jail, so they assume any greenbelt, no matter how close to them it actually is must automatically signal hillbillies, when in fact they themselves are the hillbillies, just of a more concrete nature than the rural stereotype.

*gets off of soapbox*

Weirdly, in Clydebank, we always refer to going "up the toon" when going to Glasgow city centre as well, despite the fact it's only 8 miles away.